photos for this site

Guest Andys@coffs

Guest Andys@coffs

Guys

Ian has for obvious $ reasons had to limit the size of photos both in terms of image size through resolution and also through file size. Given that 150kB is now a long way short of what most cameras shoot, to upload we first have to resize and modify the jpeg quality setting to get it so that it meets the needs of this forum.

While doing that to one or 2 photos is a simple enough process using almost any photo editor it struck me yesterday that if you have a whole swag of photos then there must be some form of cheap, to $0 photo editor where you can tell the editor, I want an output of 800 x 600 with file size not to exceed 150kB and have it find the best quality percentage that gives the best possible outcome at the closest to 150kB rather than me trying again and again, incrementing or decrementing the jpeg quality percentage by 5 points a time to get as good as possible but not more that 150kB.

Does anyone know of such a thing that doesnt come with an adobe size price. Of course the follow on from that is if it exists can it be scripted, and if so then could we have the forum software incorporate it at which time the limitations could exist in the back end and users could simply ignore them, uploading whatever they want, the program makes the changes it needs and we all lived happily ever after in photo bliss...

Andy

For Microsoft XP use this little gadget Available here And on the right hand side I think it's the 11th one down, "image resizer". Click on that and down load it.

If you can't understand how to select more than one or more photo's to resize, just ask and I will run through it with you.

I use " PIXresizer " it is good no loss of quality and you can do a 1000 photos with one setting if you like. Just set up 2 folders one with the full size and one for it to dump the resized ones into and your done.

Google it and its a free download

With regards to the upload image size there is a couple of things that caused me to set the size at 150k:

- bandwidth

- server disk space

- but most importantly is there are many users here that are still on dial up or using satellite

There sure is capacity to increase the size if you want me to but be mindful of those users who are not in main centers with fast internet connections - let me know what you want

The forums have a photo resizer (physical dimensions) already incorporated into the software when using the upload feature in creating a post however like anything, you can break its back if it is too far outside the maximums.

The Photo Gallery doesn't have one but the sizes you can put in there are upped to 500k. You can also add any of your images in the Photo Gallery to your post by clicking the [Add Image(s) from the Photo Gallery] link just below the Smiley list when creating your post.

Can I just say that we need to be mindful of those using 1024x768 screen resolutions and those on dial up.

Also note that a lot of image applications like Photoshop add a lot of rubbish to their images when you save them making them a lot bigger file size then they could be. I sometimes open an image in the Windows Paint application that comes with Windows and then simply just save them again - that removes all the rubbish that some images can contain.

Hope this helps!

Guest basscheffers

Simple:

Mac users use iPhoto. Select the photos you want, export in some smaller size and done.

Windows users: Picasa (Picasa 3: Free download from Google) Same deal as above.

Don't just use these as photo resizers; they are there to manage your photo collection. You'll be glad you are no longer messing around with files in directories!

Guest basscheffers
Also note that a lot of image applications like Photoshop add a lot of rubbish to their images when you save them making them a lot bigger file size then they could be.

In Photoshop: "File > Save for Web and Devices". Select JPEG and the quality you want, make sure the "attach profile" (or something to that effect) box is not ticked.

Those will give you the most efficient JPEGs for uploading. No profiles, no EXIF/IPTC, XMP, etc. Just the JPEG.

Guest basscheffers
There sure is capacity to increase the size if you want me to but be mindful of those users who are not in main centers with fast internet connections - let me know what you want

I don't see the need to have large images that are more than 800 pixels wide on websites. 150kB is plenty for that size.

With tools as described above, anyone should be able to save the file like that!

One thing you could do is have a Flash or Java applet client side uploader that resizes to 800px/150kB before uploading to the server to save bandwidth.

Another possibility is to, just like you have YouTube embedded, use the Flickr API to pull in people's photos from there. That way you don't host them at all!

Guest Andys@coffs

Ian

Is the fact that some users run low res screens actually that much of an issue? I mean everone who owns a modern digital camera will be in the situation where opening the raw (or jpg) file where the actual picture is bigger than the screen size they run requiring them to use the zoom feature of the browser or use the X and Y axis sliders. On the otherhand, those that run a 1920 x1200 screen and have to look at postage stamp size photos are equally negatively impacted. Its just a case of choosing who is impacted.... For me, some of the photos that get added to some posts are horrible suggesting that somehow a standard set of post processing steps (ie take the user out of the equation)could mean that the quality of the post and associated photos might be better. I personally think that 800 x 600 is limiting but wouldnt want the res increased if the file size couldnt also increase. In other words size(bigger but crappier) isnt everything, or so Im told

Andy

P.S, all that said, I dont pay for the server side bandwidth so its easy for me to ask for more. Bottom line is that if nothing changes then I'm still satisfied. In otherwords, fantastic is only slightly better than excellent, I choose fantastic but can live with merely excellent

Guest basscheffers
On the otherhand, those that run a 1920 x1200 screen and have to look at postage stamp size photos are equally negatively impacted.

Don't forget those of us who have a 1900x1200 screen but don't want to maximize their browser to view websites! :D

Guest hostonbarry

I am using the PIX resizer. It resizes the Photos in a great way. In even resizing the Photos does not affect the quality of the photo.

• 7 years later...

I know this is a very very old thread, but the most appropriate for this announcement. Microsoft is replacing MS Paint with 3D Paint in it's next update of Windows 10. While this new app will enable you to create 3D images, which can be printed on a 3D printer, it does not have the facility to resize photographs. Converting to the new app is not exactly intuitive and you have to search Google for Help pages.