Ch 650

country kid

hey all in i have recently became very interested in the zenith line of air craft in piticular the Zodiac 601XL and ch 650. i was hoping this would be the place to go for a bit more of an insight as to what these aircraft are like. iv read every thing there is on the web sight. im just intested im looking to buy a kit some time and i want to know what are these like to build i have a fair idea of price? are they good to fly? do they live up to Zeniths expectations? are they a good aircraft any hint tip or anything i shoud know before blowing my life savings on one :D any info would be appreciated.

thanks all

yeh iv looked them over there a nice aircraft but i idealy want a touring aircraft to star with i have a 4 wheel drive and quad to get to my shooting spots for now. the main us for it will nbe traveling between towns like wongan and busselton or places like that so a high crusing speed easy use and long range good power means im opting for a light sport aircraft and kits are cheaper:D

Hi Slarti,

A low hour trike pilot friend (though with hundreds of hours previously with a HPL in R22's) was looking to get a RV12 kit and yesterday I showed him the Morgan Aeroworks website.

He showed a lot of interest in the all metal Sierra-100 Cheeta optioned with the 100hp Rotax-912s.

Removable wings for road transport was one requirement, do you know if the all metal Sierra-100 has that option and whether many Cheetas have been built with Rotax's rather than Jabiru engines?

Cheers,

Glen

Hi Glen.

Yes the Sierra's wings and elevators come off quite quickly for trailering. That's how Garry got it to Narromine last year (due weather) and home from Bundaberg (due crash).

There are a couple of Rotax powered Cheetahs I think, but not the Sierra yet. It can be done though, Garry would just need to make new engine mounts and change the cowling a bit.

Talk to him about it.

Country Kid I am pleased that you are looking at the CH650.

As you have left a question on this site regarding the 650 I will try to give you some information regarding the 650 and not try to shove some other aircraft onto you as some others have done.

As stated there is another thread ongoing regarding the 601XL and the 650 and I would encourage you to read it as well. Please make your own mind up if the aircraft is the one for you. I have made the decision to build the 601XL and I am very happy with it.

I believe there are about 30+ 601XL and 650 at presently here in Australia and hundreds around the world.

As for me I bought the kit and it has been a pleasure to assemble. Most of the parts are completely cut out and formed and most are pre drilled for ease of assembly. You can also purchase a quick build kit that has a lot of the work already completed for you. I personally went with the standard kit so as I can be assured that it has been build to my standards and I know ever rivet in it.

Allan Barton is the new Australian agent for the Zenith fleet of aircraft you can contact him on 0417 121 111 I am sure he would be please to talk to you. He is located in Bendigo Victoria.

As I have already said please research the aircraft and if you happy then continue.

Ianrat

CH601XL

Brisbane Australia

Ross sorry for my blunt reply I did not mean it to be.

I do not object to any one trying to give advice about any aircraft that is available.

However the man did ask a question regarding the CH650 and the next 8 replies only talked about other aircraft.

Ianrat

CH601XL

Brisbane Australia

• Like 1

i have read the articel and all critisism is welcome if you think you have a better idea i welcome it but im not really for STOL aircraft i like them but i want a plane for cruising and and taveling long distances. :d im aware of the current situation with the 601XL however Zenith claims the these CH650 are there newest air craft and "they have resolved" the problem in this latest modle (CH650) there has veing significant modifications to the CH650 its not the 601 (misconception) there has being changes to the wing roots in the 650 (so they say) :D thanks for all you feed bak i have looked at the mogan areoworks air craft i like the sierra however it is a little to expensive if the CH650 isnt what they say my next option is the sierra :D thanks all keep the advise coming :D

Talking different types... for Cruise, ease and simplicity, plus Aussie built. What about a Jabiru 230? Available in Kit, or factory built.

They are nice to fly, got a pretty massive boot space, rear door for loading stuff into it. And can handle some pretty interesting places.

My 3 cents anyways...

Ps. The 650 does look nice in the pictures... Have you considered the low, high wing difference? Low wings out bush get really hot sitting out in the sun, also flying you get sun on you, high wing aircraft you have a roof, and a lean to, for lunch out each side, etc....

• 2 weeks later...

What do you want to do Build or fly or a combo of both? The new Zenith 650 will be a great aircraft. If you buy a kit now or buy a set of plans and slow build it if you want. If you buy a kit now now it will have all the upgrades done. So it will have the tick of approval from the FAA , NTSB, UK and other airwothiness boards worldwide.

for the record there are over 65 XL's and 650's being built. Where are you located? If you want to come to Natfly there will be a Zenair Australia stand and there you can meet and talk Zenith builders and flyers and have all your other Q's answered.

Chris

Zodiac XL

Jab 3300

Sydney

• 2 weeks later...

im located in WA so i wont be going to natfly :( im looking to

both build and fly. simply because then i know how the aircraft works

this makes repair and maintnance easy :D is it correct that the problems with the

601XL have being rectified in the new CH650??

im located in WA so i wont be going to natfly :( im looking to both build and fly. simply because then i know how the aircraft works

this makes repair and maintnance easy :D is it correct that the problems with the

601XL have being rectified in the new CH650??

The new 650xl will have all the current 601xl upgrade mods plus a few other different upgrades incorporated into the kit so it will still be a joy to build. Cheers T87

Here is a quote from one who has had the upgrades done to his 650..

OK... went flying again today; again manuevering flight - and lo and behold I found a difference!

Today i performed more aggressive wing-overs (but lazy onset) - 2g pulls. Also did slow work (stall series - including accelerated stalls at high bank angles - all below Va), including emergency descents at Vfe with tight turns.

Here's the difference: the ride is stiffer. For example during emergency descents (full flaps, spiral descent at Vfe - which is now 70kts rather than 80kts), one can feel the ride more than in the past. This is also true during stalls if you hold the airplane into the stall. The sloppy bumping around stall passes through the whole airplane.

Upon reflection, I guess this shouldn't be a surprise since the wings are stiffer and they are coupled tighter to the fuselage.

• 1 year later...