Visit cockpit on commercial flight

I'm going on a domestic commercial flight in a month or so and I was wondering if there was any chance I'd be able to visit the cockpit before/after the flight...opinions?

Has anyone visited (or attempted to visit) the cockpit on a commercial flight since Sep 11? I'm guessing it's unlikely they'd let me, I don't have an ASIC or anything to try and prove I'm safe (I do have a RA-Aus licence, surely that must prove I'm trustworthy ;))

Do you reckon it's worth asking someone when I get there (say at check-in?) or just giving up the idea completely?

Before 9/11, I spent many times up front in 747's for take-offs and landings (mostly on short hops, with only Capt/FO - otherwise the SO's normally grabbed the spare seats as you'd expect). Lots of fun, and some "interesting" landings and in fact that's what got me interested in flying.

Sadly, now that's changed. But I'm sure if you asked you could visit the flight deck after the flight subject to operational requirements etc - if the crew's busy, forget it but I've done it a few times when they've got a bit of time.

We were talking to the cabin crew on a domestic carrier in March last year and they indicated that if you were to arange it prior to boarding, there is always the possibility of visiting the flight deck after landing depending on turnaround times and flight crew discretion. As long as you are honest and don't ask for more than they are willing to give and don't act or talk like a tool, you have a reasonable chance.

On a side note, I have a friend who has an ASIC as he runs his own GA school and he has been told, once again depending on the flight crew's discretion, that he has a good chance to travel on the flight deck. However, you must board before everyone else and can't leave the flight deck till well after landing (basically after everyone has exited the plane and disapeared up the aerobridge). Not that that would worry me!!!

I think you are unlikely to get the jumpseat unless you work for a company and have an Asic... I guess Casa's reasoning is that you must have a valid reason for being there as well... there are lots of valid reasons for being there but in the end it is at the captains discretion... In my limited experience. You may get a look at the cockpit during disembarkation if you are quick at chatting up the flight attendants or the pilot...

Sorry Darky, but the major carriers prohibit flight deck visits. As others have said, you may have a chance with an aircraft on the ground with one of the regionals depending on turnaround and crews descretion, so I would ask anyway. It is interesting to note that the "Flight Experience" simulators around the country are owned by airline pilots as a sideline business..;)

I had a 'brief' look into the cockpit in a 737-800 one night coming back from Perth, on the ground though... My brother got sick, or was sick when everyone was getting out, so we didn't leave straight away... was pretty cool though, 'cause while I waited for my brother to stop! I talked to the pilots and had a quick poke in through the door to the cockpit. We then started chatting, and we all got kicked out by the cleaners! Pilots, F/A an all!

Come to think of it now I should have asked if I could of looked up front in flight... seemed a very friendly crew.

No harm in asking though Darky :thumb_up:

If I am not mistaken (and it is embarrassing not to remember for sure) Casa itself made regulation about a year ago that only Casa Inspectors or Airline Employees undertaking work (of course with an Asic) are allowed on the flight deck during operations... the airlines are just following their rules.

Cockpit Visits.

Winsor 68 is no doubt right. This is an enormous pity and is a consequence of the "new" world that we now live in. I feel if the crew allow you in, they will be breaking the rules and I would not ask under those circumstances. This could be verified by contacting CASA anytime, and that is the path that I would follow.

When the world was a better place we used to have "hordes" of kids up the front and "scared" (fear ot flying) passengers too, to show them how in control the situation was. A great Public Relations exercise for sure. How many kids got fired up with the concept of flying that way? Nev

It is sad... but reassuring to know that it is extremely unlikely that anyone will get into the cockpit with evil intentions during flight... Sad as it is we live in a different world than many of us grew up in.

I guess it is up to Ra-Aus to keep kids dreaming of flying by sitting them in the cockpit...?

first time my son flew by himself on DJ flight. I asked the crew if it were possible to let him have a look at the cockpit. On landing at BN the girls took him up to the cockpit and showed him around. So, Darky just ask the girls on boarding if it would be possible....They can only say no;)

Guest mike_perth

It can happen Darky - an ASIC is a must though if you want to go near the pointy end in flight!

I travel regularly on staff travel with one of the majors and always keep my ASIC with me on the off chance I get a chance to go up - one of my tips sit near the front toilet and have your logbook out for when one of the fligth crew come out for toilet break - at least to put an entry in your logbook and ask them to sign it - they'll usually at least have a chat and offer you a look - if yr ultra lucky a jumpseat!!

BTW my ASIC is not a company ASIC meaning if the flight is full I cant occupy the jump seat from the get go, though if it was i.e. I worked for the Airline then, if you were cabin crew or someone that knew the emergency procedures it is still the pilots decision as to wether you can use that jumpseat but in the air they tend to be a bit nicer when they figure you are not Bin Laden or an annoying PPL student thats going to tell them how to fly and to tune to the "XYZ NDB" and to put on one stage of flap now cause they are turning base!!

Mike

Qantaslink pilots are generally a pretty nice bunch, and I'm sure that after the flight you'd have a decent chance of having a look. Not that there's much to look at on a 717. I don't know about other airlines, though. But in flight I don't like your chances. They even tried to ban off-duty employees (pilots, even) from visiting the flight deck. Thankfully that was canned in parliment, but it shows the level of paranoia that those who govern (but don't know anything) have right now.

But like others have said: It can't hurt to ask. If you mention that you're a student pilot that'd help. You might be lucky and have a couple of female pilots, who would love to encourage another to join their ranks.

Guest basscheffers

Unlikely in the air, but on the ground its possible, done it several time. (though not on QF)

I was on a BA 777 from LHR to SIN once. Was standing in the front galley holding my 9 month old son, talking to the F/O for a little while. When time came for him get back in, the purser asked me to step back into the cabin as company policy did not allow the cockpit door to be opened with pax standing near. 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif

What purpose does visiting the cockpit of a commercial aircraft serve...besides the PR angle... in regards to safety?

I understand it may be interesting... but it makes sense to have a clean cockpit environment during flight doesn't it?

Safety angle?

It's a negative, as there is a distraction factor.

With 2 crew one pilot can pay full attention to the conduct of the flight, while the other does the "PR" bit. You wouldn't do it in high workload situations and if one occurred suddenly it would be a matter of "belt up and shut-up", till things were sorted. There have been instances where extra (qualified) personnel have been invaluable ( extra resource). Nev