PPL Passed

Guest mike_perth

Guest mike_perth

Well I thought Id just drop in and let you all know that I yesterday passed my PPL flight test!!

It was a enjoyable journey and one I will never forget the feeling yesterday after completing the test was indescribable - nothing compairs to it! I cant imagine what it must be like to complete your CPL!

So look out skys above cause here I come!!

Mike

Guest mike_perth

It was very interesting when we landed in Northam it was 44degC on finals at 700agl!!

Would have been a good day in a glider as the thermals were pretty strong at some points in the flight.

Did a couple of stalls and a few steep turns plus some instrument flight in the training area on the way back - the total flight time was 2.6 hours so you can imagine I was pretty hot and sticky after all that!!

Cheers Guys

Mike

ah its not all that bad i clocked up 2.7 hours on sunday lol.

its only heat after all, just keep your fluids up and you will be fine.

invest in a camelpack. it takes a bit to get it feeling comfortable but you have up to 2 litres for your trip that is kept quite cool

It was very interesting when we landed in Northam it was 44degC on finals at 700agl!!Would have been a good day in a glider as the thermals were pretty strong at some points in the flight.

Did a couple of stalls and a few steep turns plus some instrument flight in the training area on the way back - the total flight time was 2.6 hours so you can imagine I was pretty hot and sticky after all that!!

Cheers Guys

Mike

I assume you would have used 14 Mike; how were the thermals on late final between the road and the threshold? They usually play havoc with the Thruster, then your attention can be upset by the 'white cockies' flying across the strip as you touch down - its all good practise.

Pud

Guest mike_perth

Cheers guys!

Due to popular demand (well refly asked) Ill give you a bit of an account of the flight and some of the highs.......and lows!

We departed YPJT (Jandakot) via VFR reporting point Armadale and then flew up controlled airspace (V66) to another reporting point The Lakes (TLKS) this part of the flight is apparently were most students get it wrong and I’ve been told if you get this part wrong then the flight test usually doesn’t go your way not because of the departure but because if you get flustered here then things usually compound - thankfully for me I’m reasonably comfortable with the departure and I feel did a reasonable job of it, even though I did it from a runway I have never done it from before (RWY24 usually I fly in the morning with an easterly and depart RWY06)

But after TLKS we changed course and headed for Northam (YNTM) for a few touch and goes - thankfully I heard another aircraft in the circuit meaning I knew the runway in use and could let down to cct height without over flying as all circuits here are to the East and I was approaching from the west. It was runway 32 (So I didn’t experience the thermals on 14!) but none the less it was bumpy and hot I made one normal touch and go circuit followed by a flapless touch and go - been a while since my last flapless but nothing too difficult.

Well up to now everything sounds normal and it was I climbed out to 2000ft made a turn over flew the field to orientate myself and tracked for Narrogin and this is were things got a little confusing York was supposed to be on my left according to my track but after 3 mins it was on my right - I decided to continue on course until due east of York and make my track correction there as it would give me a good reference point to make measurements on the map to calculate my track error and apply the trusty 1 in 60 rule to correct it! Well I did exactly that and got back on track - I can only assume the wind was greater than forecast and we got pushed of track as my calcs were right and my heading was held correct.

Once id spent all that time getting back on track the old practiced forced landing was upon me - I had been expecting it much later in the flight but its here now, and at a good point as it really was a surprise! All went good the field I chose was ok and my approach was one of my best yet! Once at 500 ft AGL I was asked to fly a precautionary search of the field which in hindsight probably wasn’t the best as it had a pretty steep down slope but still ok.

It was then time for a climb back to track only to be told of a diversion to Mt Cooke - and well Ill admit it I didn’t exactly find it first go! I drew my track estimated a heading and flew it I even took into account that the wind was stronger than forecast and added an estimated 8 deg for the wind but we ended up flying too far south but I found myself established my position over Westdale (I told you a long way south) and continued to track for Mt Cooke (I could see it and could have flown straight for it but wanted to show off my Nav skills!!!)

After Mt Cooke it was into the training area for some upper air work but not without some time on instruments thrown in for good measure! From here it was all pretty smooth sailing - stalls, steep turns, turns under the hood, gliding steep turns, turning stalls, followed by a normal return to YPJT via Six South with a short field landing thrown in for good measure!

Sorry for the long post but thought some students out there might like to know what’s involved in the PPL flight test and that things can go wrong and as long as you fix them and show you can find yourself even when you’re "lost" the PPL flight test can actually be fun....even in 40 odd degree heat!!