Learning to fly in my 40's

Joenisey

Hi All. I finally got to post on Just Landed. My name is John. I fly out of Melton airfield, in Victoria. I've been trying to complete my GFPT as I started going for my GA licence. But hoping as soon as I have my GFPT done, hoping to join up and also get my RAAUS licence. I was hoping to be fully licenced by 40, I'm now 42!!! Too much work or not enough money, not sure which has effected me more! Never-the-less, my goal is still to get my licence and some day work in some avenue in the aviation industry. At this stage, I'm quite happy to wash planes and scrub tyres!!!!!!

• Like 1

I know the story mate i started flying at 17, 1987,2 hours then due to no money stopped.i have a mixture of GA and RAA. I first went solo at june 23 1990 in a drifter after stopping in 1987. Again stopped due to lack of funding.Didnt fly again until 1997 got my licence that year in a jabiru.(finally money to spend). Completed my GFPT in jan 1999 in a piper archer. (most of navs done that same yearI was working in the middle east at the time, so time to fly was minimal.I flew until 2001 in various aircraft. But then went through a divorce and had another break until august 2008.BFR and 2.1 hours later i was current again. Been flying regularly ever since.Sorry to be long winded but i am sharing this to you (and everbody else) because their are alot of us who due to one reason or another, have had to had breaks in our flying careers. thumb up mate. It will all come together in the end. Cheers

G'day John,

I started when I was 44. I figure better late than never! It took a little over 12 months but now I have my certificate and I am in a syndicate I fly almost every weekend. Sometimes twice :-)

I wouldn't want to work in it as a pilot though. It wouldn't be so much fun I think.

Steven.

I am 42 at my 17th hour on Cessna 172S. I fly 2 times a month at best. Still have not gone solo. Have some unassited landings that even I am proud of. :-) I am flying not for career but out of love for it. I realise how dificult it could be for some of us financially. In the future if I get my pilot license and still be able to finance my passion for flying I will help a student pilot to get in the air. I wish you best of luck! Never give up on what you love.

I've done about 87 hours! Completed the PPL exam and right up to getting my GFPT. Just need to sit for the test. Haven't been able to fly since October last year, so will no doubt need a few more hours to catch up before sitting for GFPT. Just waiting on cash flow to improve, then ready to go again. My goal is to achieve my PPL and my RAAUS by the end of the year. My dream job would be a flying instructor.

Hey guys...

I have wanted to learn to fly since I was a teenager..BUT finances stopped me..

Started lessons at the age of 54 and loving it, had my first SOLO today and looking forward to all the future challenges.

I do not think I am Old or considered too old to fly...It has been one of my ambitions and I am now doing it.. I feel great about my acheivements..

We are stil young at heart

Regards

Keith

• Like 3

Too Old?

Keith, you are not too old to learn to fly, believe it. You may have some down times but everybody does, during training. When these occur, don't be hard on yourself. You should not be OVERconfident, but neither be UNDERconfident.

The Boomerang is a purpose built "proper" trainer. Your school has shown good judgement in purchasing it. I guess you are doing your PPL. Welcome Nev..

Hi Keith.

Same as you, mate! Always wanted to learn to fly since I was a kid, but only started lessons at 53, and recently passed my test at 54. You are definitely not too old - I have met lots of pilots older than myself, and some started much later than you or I did.

Congratulations on your solo - it's a great feeling, isn't it? Good luck with the rest of your flying - keep us posted.

Cheers

Neil

• 3 years later...

Good onya guys, and gals, good to see so many dreamers doing it! Hopefully see you at some of the flyins around Vic in the next few months, if you see the plane in my avatar please come and say hello,

Cheers Matty

If I took annual leave and just went training 8 hours a day could I theoretically do 40 hours and qualify for the ra-aus cert by the end of the week, or is that a bad idea? I was thinking of waiting until after 4/12/13 apparently there are going to be changes

I wouldn't do more than 2 hours of basic training each day.( With briefings) or you won't be getting best value for money. When you get onto navs it is a different thing. You young fella's aren't too old unless you feel old. It's in the mind. Nev

• Agree 1
  • Helpful 1

I'd think of booking a lesson daily at 6am during summer to knock off a licence. Beautiful flying before the thermals get nasty, you can still get to work and not get too overloaded. Take your time and enjoy it, you only get those early experiences once.....

If I took annual leave and just went training 8 hours a day could I theoretically do 40 hours and qualify for the ra-aus cert by the end of the week, or is that a bad idea? I was thinking of waiting until after 4/12/13 apparently there are going to be changes

I've mentioned before, a Singaporean lad came over, stayed at the flight school and went back with his Cert a week later. Can be done but not recommended.

Bandit12, did a lot of my training early in the morning but I'm still useless at crosswind landings. Still air is only for the first few rides, then it becomes less than useful.

I was a bit the same, and to this day don't like it when it gets really bumpy in hot weather. But it is the nicest time of the day to fly in summer, and you can get plenty of crosswind practice in the cooler months without the thermal bumps.

You will be a better pilot IF you train where winds are common. If you couldn't handle them you wouldn't last long in New Zealand . Flying training should be enjoyable but it you are not challenged you are getting an easy ride and will may not be up to it when you go somewhere and the conditions are above what you are used to. Fly the plane to it's limit if you can and keep proficient. You don't always get to choose your weather. Nev

Hey guys...

I have wanted to learn to fly since I was a teenager..BUT finances stopped me..

Started lessons at the age of 54 and loving it, had my first SOLO today and looking forward to all the future challenges.

I do not think I am Old or considered too old to fly...It has been one of my ambitions and I am now doing it.. I feel great about my acheivements..

We are stil young at heart

Regards

Keith

Hi Keith,

Yes similar story as most of you and the other guys except mine has a little twist, I am 55 yrs old always wanted to fly, a couple of years I started and then stopped and started again, last year in November I started up again and I was doing one lesson a week with Go Fly up here in Caboolture with a couple of great instructors 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif I was going ok I think, I am pretty hard on myself, I had up about 15 hrs up and my wife had an accident in a shopping centre, bang could not get back to my flying lessons after that happened, the wife does come first and so do the bills that come along with the accident and with our legal system it will take years to recoup and money for the shopping centre.

I am disappointed that I have not been able to get back yet BUT I will be hopefully soon...Neil ???...I hope that I have not forgottem to much when I do get back to my flying..I know the boys at up here in Caboolture will get me back up to speed fairly quickly I hope...well for an older student..I did NOT say old... 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

David

chris, if you are talking to me, I would say two a day. If you are doing it under "tough" conditions about 45 minutes is enough for a concentrated lesson. Sometimes you will start to get worse instead of improving and that is not productive and doesn't help your confidence. I believe in briefing/debriefing too with each lesson. The whole thing is a bit more than one hour. Say 1.20. I believe a break and a bit of "swat' on the next sequence and away you go again after a few hours. IF you compress the whole thing too much you run the risk of not consolidating what you have done, IF there is just a bit too much covered in the day. Nev