whats involved in converting from RA to GA

Hi all ,

so as the title asks what is involved in converting from ga to ra

I cant seem to get a straight answer out of any one on this and was wanting to start this year.

i wanted to know what tests must be done and how many hours are needed to do this and aprox cost

Any info would be great~!

Assuming you have a XC endorsement with RAAus, then do attain PPL standard you'll need to

• obtain a Class II aviation medical

• obtain an ARN (aviation reference number) / student pilot license

• obtain an ASIC (if you're flying from a "security" airport like Moorabbin or Jandakot)

• do a conversion into a GA aircraft - could be as little as a couple of hours

• do a minimum two hours IFR flight

• a couple of Nav flights covering controlled airspace (assuming you want a CTA endorsement)

• pass the PPL theory exam

• pass the PPL flight test

RVAC have a nice chart here that outlines how RAAus and GA training inter-relate.

The reason you won't get straight answers from a lot of people is that the training requirement varies depending on your skills and background, and on the "willingness" of GA schools to accept your previous training. The CFI of a school (GA or RAAus) is required to ensure you cover the full training syllabus: there are GA schools out there that may not want to help you down this path. So, before approaching GA schools, I'd recommend that you ask your RAAus school to provide a letter outlining your training and certify your logbook hours.

I think a reasonable cost to budget would be min 10 hours flight time @ $300/hr, plus medical (allow at least $150) plus ASIC ($150?). Have a search through these forums too, as I'm pretty sure you'll find a post or two on this topic.

Flying High has all the bases covered here I think. Just One point, there are tonnes of schools operating GA rego'd Jabs, sportstar's ETC. One way to save some $$$ would be to do as much of the conversion requirements in a GA rego'd Ultralight. Then once you pass your PPL, its a matter of being checked out on what ever aircraft you are interested in flying, Piper, cessna etc. As flyinghigh said, these conversions onto bigger aircraft are usually not much of an issue for ultralight pilots.:thumb_up:

Enjoy

• 2 weeks later...
Flying High has all the bases covered here I think. Just One point, there are tonnes of schools operating GA rego'd Jabs, sportstar's ETC. One way to save some $$$ would be to do as much of the conversion requirements in a GA rego'd Ultralight. Then once you pass your PPL, its a matter of being checked out on what ever aircraft you are interested in flying, Piper, cessna etc. As flyinghigh said, these conversions onto bigger aircraft are usually not much of an issue for ultralight pilots.:thumb_up:Enjoy

Personally I'd spend a few more bucks and call it a safety investment. If the conversion is bashing a few cts and a few stalls in the training area you wont really get to know the larger a/c that well.

Scott

Anyone know any school in SE Qld with a VH rego Jab or other RAA type aircraft.

Being a bit over 60 I think I will have to go PPL to get controlled airspace endorcement I want as I don't think I have enough flying years left to wait for RAA.