Do we really need this?

hihosland

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What rubbish.It would take me a couple of minutes to print out something that looked like a registration card.

Will it stop the problem.....not one bit.

I dont see a problem. It wont stop the problem, but it will assist in policing. What do the registration cards look like? i cant see RAAus making them THAT easy to copy. It wont even be a hassle or anything. a small sleeve with a card

RAA should consider having on site checks of aircraft throughout Oz by appropriately appointed persons.

This may be a precursor to that. Phoning/computering in a rego will take time. What if it is remote and no reception? What if 4 people want to take off, but an inspector wants to check their rego, and the computer system is slow? lines all round and much more agrivation. This will help identify offenders and "round them up" as anyone at the airfield will be able to see they aren't registered.

Guest check-in

Sounds like a total crock. What is the purpose of the great big rego letters all over the fuselage and lower wings? Doesn't RAA have a computer data base capable of capturing currency of rego etc? If not, CASA need to get right on to them.

When the coppers spot me having a little fang on my motorbike all they need to do is key the rego number into a notebook in their patrol car and they know straight away whether the bike is currently registered and to whom. Bike rego in QLD and being naughty in W.A.? Still no problem. If they succeed in catching me, they look at my license, key in the number and straight away they know how many points I have left, so they know how many to give me to either put me off the road, or leave me with just enough to stay in business - depending I suppose on how polite I am to them. Even if they don't catch me they can blame me anyway because I am the registered owner. Ditto with going through toll gates - one photo of the rego and 3 days to pay or a large bill in the mail. We are in a paperless age, so RAA needs to get with the times.

Now, if having this plastic thingy stuck inside and visible from 15 feet meant we could be exempt spoiling our nice aircraft paint jobs with those big ugly drag-inducing rego numbers, I would lead the cheer squad.

Their eye sight must be alot better than mine, how could you possibly read the information on the card from 15 feet/left hand wing tip distance.You would have to walk up to it.So if you have to walk up to it, you might as well poke your head into the cockpit and check it their.Where it has always been. I dont like the idea.

Is this really going to be an imposition? Having a rego sticker on the car window doesnt bother many.

Having dated rego card will allow everyone to police the system and pull up the cowboys who will stuff our freedoms up for everyone

The business regarding visible from LH wingtip is only saying it has to be on the LHS of the AC in plain view

Guest Maj Millard

A load of unnecessary rubbish in my opinion....I'd like to know who came up with it,if it's Steve Bell I'm dissapointed. What's next ?...carry a set of scales so you can weigh yourself prior to emplaneing ?? At this rate we won't even get off the ground in two years. Lets keep it real folks.............................Maj

Is this really going to be an imposition? Having a rego sticker on the car window doesnt bother many.Having dated rego card will allow everyone to police the system and pull up the cowboys who will stuff our freedoms up for everyone

The business regarding visible from LH wingtip is only saying it has to be on the LHS of the AC in plain view

Its interesting the bit about car rego stickers because in WA they are doiung away with the rego sticker on car windscreens - not issuing anything to replace it either is my understanding.

For what its worth I think its a load of crock as well but I'll comply (of course) without complaint once my aircraft is ready for registration. I have better things to spend my energy on.

Pud

Am pleased that RAA is adopting something that even Qld has moved on from!

Three weeks ago I was driving down a country road in car with personalized number plates and passed a police car. Quick check of speedo...I'm OK! With much susprise not long after the blue lights flashed behind me.

They had made a spelling mistake keying in information of my car rego on their "little black box" which said the rego was not current (probably also had my underpants size as well). Soon cleared up. Not rearly the police fault: he was probably educated (?) in a Qld school!

The point is that even on a country road they could quickly check that rego.

Why do we need a bit of paper? Has the designer of our invaluable and so useful little red security card found new employment?

Will someone please save us from these "back to the past" inventions...please!

Are they now working on our Pilot Certificate to "up size" to that of a Pilots Licence so we can be retro there also.

I honestly don't see the problem... They are giving you all the stuff to do it, just stick it on.

Aircraft Rego cards were supposed to be visible from outside an aircraft before anyway, and on the left side also if I remember rightly. All they have changed is the expiry date, and fair enough, the others were pretty tiny to read.

I think it's a good thing, they've seen a problem and are fixing it, costs you nothing, except five minutes attaching it which I see as no big deal. Unless I've missed something?

Guest Walter Buschor

like most of you I don't see the point in all this. "it's a little bit like an ASIC card for he plane".

Most of us will comply but the ones that choose to fly unregistered will do so no matter what.

Bigger numbers on a bit of paper won't change that just like speedcameras won't stop speeding.

For all it's worth bring it on . we'll stick it on and keep flying but just don't expect there to be fewer unregistered planes "out there".

fly safe

Walter

We don't need this and it won't fix the problem. The states are getting away from this for motor vehicles because it is just a waste of money and doesn't achieve the purpose it is set out to do.

There is already legislation there to address this issue and people can be heavily fined if they operate an unregistered aircraft. If anyone knows of an operator using an unregistered aircraft, report them to RAA and they will take action. So far, the self governing system works, let's keep it that way and weed out the shonks.

Really comparing this to motor vehicles is pointless, with cars we have a VERY EXPENSIVE police presence monitoring and has the gear availiable to check this data instantly. Seems in some states they dont need the 50C sticker on every car because they have $millions of equipment to do an instant check, which is great but we (RAA) cant.

This just makes the few people whos job it is to watch out for this easier, Id be suprised if it were even costing much money we all get little plastic cards already.

Overall they have said they are changing to different cards (with bigger dates) and we are now requested to stick them on a window not on the dashboard - whats the issue?

Since we must fit throttle locks, it is assumed an "inspector" would have to get close to see if one was fitted. In doing so the current rego card would be clearly visable.

Or is the next requirement to fit a throttle lock that is clearly visable from the left wing tip???

Oh, (Toyota add word), probably given the little red card designer another idea!

This was initiated before I was a board member however I personally see it as a deterrent and perhaps a situation where one has to be cruel to be kind.

If your aircraft isn't registered you are not covered by any insurances. Your passenger if carrying one has the right to believe that everything is in order with both you and the aircraft so if something does happen that they have some come back...possibly.

If the rego certificate is clearly displayed it makes it easier to get dobbed in and we all know there are those out there that will dob you in so maybe it may deter some people from taking the risk.

What is the negative side? I see the extra fact that you have to affix it so it can be seen from the left wing tip but then is that really such a big deal?

I look at it that if it deters just one person from flying an unregistered aircraft then I suppose it has done its job - If it makes a person pay the rego of their aircraft out of fear of now being easily recognised and dobbed in then the RAAus has more money to apply to those that do pay their rego, if it does then perhaps it has again done its job.

Remember that guy in Cairns that was flying a Gazelle unregistered - how many thousand's of dollars was he fined so perhaps it is being cruel to be kind as well.

Just my thoughts but as I said I wasn't on the board when this initiative was raised so I can't say what the history is.

Oops, my mistake - should have been visible from the left wing tip - I will fix my post up - thanks

I will give you a ring later and see what I can do to help the logging in thing - I am sure it is to do with Cookies.

It's just another "hoop" to jump through.

But be remindful of the RAA mission statement

To foster, encourage and develop safe Recreational Aviation in Australia with minimum bureaucracy and minimum cost. /QUOTE]groan!049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

We don't need this and it won't fix the problem. The states are getting away from this for motor vehicles because it is just a waste of money and doesn't achieve the purpose it is set out to do.There is already legislation there to address this issue and people can be heavily fined if they operate an unregistered aircraft. If anyone knows of an operator using an unregistered aircraft, report them to RAA and they will take action. So far, the self governing system works, let's keep it that way and weed out the shonks.

I agree, i think this came about because x amount of a/c, de-registed last year.They arent all not airworthy, as what happened in cairns as ian, reminded us about.These are the sort of thing impacts us alot, it doesnt take much bad publicity to hurt us.As Relfy has mentioned, we all have to be vigilant about people doing the wrong thing. No body wants to be a dobber, but we have to look after each other, i mean people doing the right thing. Sorry for rocking the boat, but we cant afford for not police it as individuals, and we cant afford CASA to do it because, we are self administrative to a certain degree. I still done agree with the envelopes because i dont think they will be effective, in changing anything. Thats my opinion, how about yours?

The money spent on this should be put into other areas. If we don't self regulate to a certain extent, we will be regulated. Plain and simple. The fine issued to the person last year for doing the wrong thing was a great deterrent. A culture of safety comes from within the membership and will always be more effective than a big stick mentality.

It's not just a case of a simple 50 cent sticker as has been mentioned. There is a lot of time and admin time required to do this, for basically no benefit except that someone who is standing at your wingtip can see it compared to someone who is standing next to the window looking at the registration card.

Jetjr mentioned that police are provided with very expensive equipment to check on regos etc. This is not the case. 95% of the time it's a radio or phone call to confirm rego details via a very basic database. RAA could check regos very easily with minimal expense or equipment required.

In my opinion, put the money towards awareness (advertising, web bulletins etc) so that members can regulate this area. Make a website form on the RAA page where if you see an A/C you can leave anon details of time and place is was seen flying so that RAA can check and confirm details.

While I accept there are some people who do not rego their aircraft shorely it is THEIR problem if they do not have insurance, or get fined. As for a passanger not knowing, I can say nearly every one I carry enter from the right hand side of the aircraft and would not notice a left hand side rego lable.

You will never convince me that this is going to solve the problem. When the Fed Govt changed gun laws and spent a vast amount of tax dollars on the buy back ONLY the law abiding owners were effected...THE CRIMS STILL HAD/HAVE GUNS!!!

Only the law abiding will be effected...if it was going to stop THE CRIMS, booze bus deployments would stop drink driving...and we know how effective that is! Thats why so many DIE as passangers in cars with drunk drivers...do not tell me the vast majority do not know the driver has been drinking.

Surely RAA has better things to do than this!

Where will I fit it on the Scout??? :ah_oh:

If it does not stick on the 'tested' surface and blows off outside of the town dump, will we get fined for littering?

Visible at 15' to whom? It is only just possible to read a number plate at 15'!!

Heon

Since we must fit throttle locks, it is assumed an "inspector" would have to get close to see if one was fitted. In doing so the current rego card would be clearly visable.

Or is the next requirement to fit a throttle lock that is clearly visable from the left wing tip??? end quote

If the aircraft is fitted with a security lock that is obscured by a sun blanket or window blind, then it only has to have a sign saying that a security lock is fitted whether one is or not. Why don't we just get rid of the rego numbers and get letters as it would appear that that is where Casa / Raa are headed and they will never run out of rego... :big_grin:

The bit about the "Freedoms we enjoy today and the freedom we enjoy tomorrow" are becoming a little blurred.

Never thought of a Scout...what about a Drifter? Will the lable and holder slice and dice well through a pusher prop? Was it thought about?

Also add a Super Petrel to the slice and dice problem as it can fly with doors removed...Sorry, should have thought of that...Super Petrel's will be prohibited to fly with doors of in Australia due to the potential litter problem!