Any designers out there?

Guest stol lover

Guest stol lover

Is anybody designing or looking at designing their own aircraft? There seems to be a lot of discussion on design in the US (www.homebuiltairplanes.com is a good source of info) but there isn't much talk here. I'm part way into a STOL Fi 156 look alike design.

My design goals were

Minimize welding to landing gear only

Have most of the airframe,wings and empennage made from formed al. sheet

Be able to use a 2.2l subaru engine (or similar)

And of course keep stall speed to a minimum <25kts.

Just seeing if anyone else is designing?

Guest stol lover

I dont have any formal training. But I dont have a naiive idea that this will be a quick or simple process. I have read a few books on design and stress analysis and have spent countless hours reading information on the web from people who have done it themselves. I have bought a couple of sets of plans (I was thinking about building a ch601) and looked at other plans on the net. You can get a starting point from what others have done.

Guest Maj Millard

I have flown some of the best STOL planes around....IE: Slepcev Storch, Savannah VG and Lightwing with flaps, and each has it's own unique qualities. KB59 has been working on something up here in Ayr which I will see shortly, and it should be interesting. It's an interesting road to build a true usable STOL, and I wish you luck. I also often wish I had the time, money and determination to design, build and test another design, as it is great fun to do, especially if it is successfull at the end....................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Husband and eldest son are into designing and ultimately building. We have those phone calls and emails with aerofoil designs, controls, concepts, mechanics etc. He has 3D design software and bought design "test dummies" to keep testing the ergonomics in the virtual world. Did a mock up fuse and sat the family in it for a couple of hours to test comfort and ease of use. The whole family are into radio controlled models and the two boys are into building & designing them - have won a few comps and competed overseas too.

I'm the "consulting engineer" - at least I get asked about the more complex formulas. There's lots of good stuff on the internet for designers. The following link provides nearly every wing shape there is - in pdf or down loadable to 3D design software. Have fun!

UIUC Airfoil Data Site

Husband has finished his RANS S7 and the son has a Sonerai kit going. I have dreamed of building a plane that will fit my 4'7" but now I have married someone over 6' that's going to be a bit of a challenge.

Happy to talk planes any day.

Sue

Have just looked at Pylon500's photo gallery. Hangar & home, plus planes - Arthur did you get time to sleep??

We have been dreaming about the "retirement" home with hangar & airstrip. Can't wait for the boss to get home on Monday to show him someone who has made it a reality. Good onya!

Sue

Hi SL, Seen my thread 'Introducing the Eagle-Ray'? Yes, it's not easy, it takes many reworks and many dreams get shattered. I to get advice from Homebuiltairplanes in my thread 'Slow Delta Wings?' and, as my design is a rework of the Dykes Delta, I get some help from the Yahoo group dedicated to that plane.

As you say, there are not many threads on this subject in these forums. Seems like the vein of home designer/builders has nearly run it's course. Like Gold, it'll run out some time unless we can rebuild the desire to go find more. To that end, keep your thread alive and spread the net.

Pylon500, have you updated your site yet? As the only designer/builder I know here, you're one of the few who inspire and, time permitting, can help us. You sure are a busy man and thanks for your input to my design.

Hi Stol Lover

It`s good to see people having a go.

As Maj has pointed out I am designing and building a stol aircraft. Been working on it for 3 years and now at the stage of just starting to put parts on the bench.

We should keep in touch on our projects.

You may find a weight issue with 2.2 L Subaru if you are building RAA.

I started with using a 1.8 L EA81 but found that a bit on the heavy side. I am now looking at using a lighter engine.

The other consideration you may like to consider is Fuel Burn. As time goes on the cost of Fuel at the pump only goes up so the only way to keep flying at a affordable cost is to get as much as you can out of that litre.

20 litres plus per hour to me for a 544kg MTOW < 100 knots cruise aircraft is just not justified.

KB59

Guest stol lover

Thanks for the replies.

KB59 It will good to see your plane as it starts to take (physical) shape. You're probably right about the subaru engine. This would have to be the heaviest engine used in RAA wouldn't it? But if I can make it work I will. Otherwise maybe Jab or rotary Mazda.

Deskpilot. I had read you thread about delta wings. I was a member of the DD yahoo group for a while. Quite an interesting aircraft. It will good to see how your work goes.

SL

Guest stol lover

Pylon500 looked at your photos. The LR-1 looks awesome. All composite planes look good and yours looks better than most. Very sleek.

Thanks for the compliment 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif

I cant see why people go to the trouble of building in composite, and make a square box :raise_eyebrow:

I was almost going to carve an elliptical wing and tail, but the swept shape looks faster 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Sorry about the slow replies, I don't visit as often as I should.

Arthur.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...

The 'Stable' has moved. So few posts that I had forgotten about this thread. Let's get it up and running again. Dedicated to Home Design building, not kits.

In my stable are the Demansfield Bolt. A basic flyer, with a twist.

[ATTACH]15684[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]15685[/ATTACH]

The EagleRay. A Double Delta that I made way to complicated with reflexed wings and under-cut strakes.

[ATTACH]15687[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]15688[/ATTACH]

An un-named pusher. Larger and prettier than the Vampire

[ATTACH]15689[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]15690[/ATTACH]

VT-ICE. A derivation of Mark Stulls RingTail. The inverted Chunnel was just to be different, and the all pivoting, vectoring tail plane was beset with gyroscopic problems (according to others in the know)

[ATTACH]15691[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]15692[/ATTACH]

TSR-UL. A pusher based on a shortened TSR-2. This one didn't go very far.

[ATTACH]15699[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]15700[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]15701[/ATTACH]

A dream too far. A replica Westland Wyvern with c/r props. "If I were a rich man...lalalalalala" BIG V8 and retracts.

[ATTACH]15694[/ATTACH]

And finally, a return to the Bolt but this is more to do with finding ways to get around Torsional Resonance and an easier way to change the drive belts. Sorta got diverted into producing a more realistic engine on the way.

[ATTACH]15695[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]15696[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]15697[/ATTACH][ATTACH]15698[/ATTACH]

So, what's in your stable? Please post your ideas and dreams. A quick sketch scanned will do if you don't have any models available. BTW, mine are all done with Google SketchUp, it's free on the web. Takes time to get to know it though.

Arthur, what's the latest on your speed machine? Haven't seen you post anything lately.

Let's get Australian Home Design going Again.

Sorry about that OK. I'll redo the post later today. Don't know why they don't open, even for me.

My first dream of flying was with gyros. thought it would be the cheapest way in. Unfortunately, the guys I met were just paddock bashers and some were flying too low, too fast and too dangerously. That put me off. Have flown one and found it extremely stable in rough weather. They've (gyros) come a long way in the last 15 years or so.

Ian, program is crashing when I try to load images, thumbnail or full size. I was reposting but with f/s and one minute they were there, next it just said 'view attachment etc' as in my previ9us post. Any ideas?

• 2 months later...

An old plane, can enyone rebirth the "FAIRY RotoDyne", the twin rotors were compressed air powered vertical for takeoff & tilted to fly like a normal aircraft.

The British goverment withdrew licenceing to "FAIRY AVIATION" and the owners steamrolled the prototype flat then burnt all the blueprints & papers, closed down, and ended manufacturing.

Hello, Spacesailor,

Thanks for mentioning what is perhaps my favourite historic aircraft.

It would be an amazing acheivement if it flew today, but the FAIRY RotoDyne was flying passengers two generations ago.

What were they thinking when they destroyed it?

http://www.asra.org.au/rotordyn.htm

I doubt any of us could "rebirth" it, but at least we can ensure that awesome achievment is never forgotten.

Lyle

And what catagory would it fit ( fixed wing / autogyro / helicopter ) & which licence

I wonder if I should put a rotor on my hummel, no need for a runway, saves tire wear !, a couple of mini (aeromodlers) turbines should do, but how do you Relight them to land.

Bryan

And what catagory would it fit ( fixed wing / autogyro / helicopter ) & which licenceI wonder if I should put a rotor on my hummel, no need for a runway, saves tire wear !, a couple of mini (aeromodlers) turbines should do, but how do you Relight them to land.

Bryan

Good idea, Brian, a great way to save tyre wear! Wings are wings, whether bolted to each side or spinning overhead. We still need control; its just a little easier to vary the geometry of a fixed wing than a rotary wing. I'd love to see how the compressed air was channelled into the RotoDynes's hollow rotor blades. Apparently fuel was mixed in at some point and igniters were mounted in the tip jets. I bet that if the Yanks built one today it would be far more complex than the elegantly simple system the Brits had. Just look at the Boeing V-22 Osprey.

Lyle

• 4 weeks later...

Old Kereelah: I love that trailor of yours. Very neat! The D9 looks like a pretty good aircraft, too.

I keep sketching aircraft when the mojo strikes me and i have time. But at the moment it's not possible to actually develop any of them. I keep switching from a 1920s style amphibian, early DeHaviland aircraft (i'm a fan of the Chipmunk), and crazy futuristic airships... hah. It doesn't help that my daughter keeps trying to help me colour them in!

But no rush.

Old Kereelah: I love that trailor of yours. Very neat! The D9 looks like a pretty good aircraft, too.I keep sketching aircraft when the mojo strikes me and i have time. But at the moment it's not possible to actually develop any of them. I keep switching from a 1920s style amphibian, early DeHaviland aircraft (i'm a fan of the Chipmunk), and crazy futuristic airships... hah. It doesn't help that my daughter keeps trying to help me colour them in!

But no rush.

Show me yours and I'll show you mine.

• 2 weeks later...