Feb 2010 Brd Meeting - Rego Label AN

Admin

The AN that was recently released regarding the fixing of the rego label to an RAAus registered aircraft will in due course be withdrawn.

I can't recall exactly the name of it but something like an Administrative notice will be raised saying something along the lines of that the rego label must be affixed to the aircraft so it can be seen from outside the aircraft whilst engaged in flying operations - please don't quote me on this in terms of the explanation I have used as it will be properly detailed in the upcoming new release.

The reason why some labels went out without the plastic pocket is the person in the office whose role it is to send out the labels was suddenly taken ill for a couple of days and in the interest of getting labels sent out as quick as possible which the office is greatly known for, another staff member sent the labels out but wasn't aware that the plastic pocket was to be sent with them.

Please if you are one of the few that didn't receive the plastic pocket then ring the office today to let them know.

Hope this helps!

Guest Maj Millard

So Ian, it sounds like we are back to the original requirement of having it visable from outside the cockpit, together with the throttle lock. And how much influence on recinding this requirement do you think comment on this site had in your opinion ?......Cheers Maj

I think comment on this site had some degree of influence and I was able to speak on your behalf by having nearly 40% of RAAus members here so it was a great help to me however it was also a general feeling with other board members as well.

Guest ozzie

I could not imagine how deep the confusion and caos would run if it were not for this site. We would be right back in the dark ages that is for sure.

Guest Crezzi

Ian - was any consideration given to the possibility of having the rego expiry date visible on the aircraft registration page of the www ?

Cheers

John

I brought it up Crezzi when the rego label was being discussed but after a comment of "too hard" another member was given the floor - I will persist if you want me to - what are other member's thoughts - Rome wasn't built in a day :big_grin:

Just thinking aloud here....there are nearly 3000 aircraft on the register, which means over 8 registration renewals every day. To keep the website expiry dates current you would need to be updating the website daily or at least weekly. It would absolutely *have* to be kept up to date, otherwise you would have people running around accusing owners of having an unregistered aircraft based on outdated info on the website.

The RAAus site looks like it's a static HTML website (at the moment) perhaps put together with a website editor. Even using an HTML editor it would mean keeping track of your renewals and manually searching through the 3000 registrations listed on the website and updating 8 expiry dates every day (or nearly 60 per week). A pretty big task for an overworked paid employee let alone a volunteer webmaster.

If registrations are kept on a database of some kind then it *should* be easy to get it to spit out an up-to-date HTML table of registrations and expiries every day. It would still require a person with a reasonable amount of computer know-how to generate, upload and paste in that table to the website every day.

Ideally you need a database driven website that automatically updates itself from the registration database (if it exists) in real time. I dare say that might be a fairly expensive proposition for a small non-profit like RAAus? Do you think something like that is possible with the website software you are using Ian?

Peter

Guest Crezzi
I brought it up Crezzi when the rego label was being discussed but after a comment of "too hard" another member was given the floor - I will persist if you want me to - what are other member's thoughts - Rome wasn't built in a day :big_grin:

My rationale was that I see a lot more aircraft flying than I do at a close enough distance to read the rego labels (even the new ones).

Its only 0 & 1's but, if it's really too hard (Ie expensive), then I'm not wedded to the idea. Perhaps you'll be able to comment on the feasibilty after you've completed your IT review

Cheers

John

Cap't...I believe that the intent of the whole AN thing was to make sure that a rego label could be seen if an aircraft is going to be used but things went haywire. The past is the past, it is getting changed so all should be ok - I think (personal opinion as I wasn't a board member when it all started) is a lot to do with subtle psychology (as I get in I see the sticker so I shouldn't fly my plane as it isn't registered) and to have a reminder that it is nearly due.

Just my 1.1c worth

...I believe that the intent of the whole AN thing was to make sure that a rego label could be seen if an aircraft is going to be used.

...and then the conspiracy theorists and wannabecops got hold of it. 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif

From an IT background the possibility of interrelational systems between backend and a web front end is highly possible though I'm not sure of the cost faesability. I like the idea personally but like Crezzi it's not going to end my world if it's not there.

Perhaps if we have some of the more html (web page code) savvy members among us that may be able to offer some advice and/or some expertise in ths area to RAA, we may be able to look at a vable and cost effective way of implementing this?

I'm of the belief that if any members have any concerns about a/c flying unregistered, then just give RAA a quick call and let them know of your concerns and the a/c involved and from my experience with the staff at RAA it will be handled quickly, professionally and discretely.

Thanks Ian for your input in regards to not only this matter but also a number of other matters. It is hard to run an organisation the size of the RAA and to keep everything simple. Information and communication are the key and you have really helped out everyone in that regard and I really like beiong informed of what is going on.

Top work and I've never given this out before...but 5 thumbs up!! :thumb_up::thumb_up::thumb_up::thumb_up::thumb_up:

Hi Powewin,

Yes where i was working had a similar problem but with trucks and fork lifts that was fixed with the work orders having a bar code for the indididual vehicle that way the data base was updated automaticly and the scanner only cost just on $200.

Could be done like that for aircraft renewals, just print a spacific bar code on each aircraft's renewal form so after confirming the money is correct just scan the form and the data base is updated.

Bob.