Sequential Aircraft Rego Numbers

Admin

I spoke to the office staff on the policy that RAAus issues the next sequential rego number on new aircraft registrations.

Apparently I am told that CASA is also currently reviewing the option of being able to pick your own rego from those available and are looking at issues the next sequential rego. The FAA is also doing the same thing. The UK have never had the option of being able to pick a rego from those available.

A problem arose in 2008 with a server crash that was reported in the RAAus magazine which resulted in the loss of rego numbers that had already been issued to aircraft being built but not yet flying. Some people can take years to build their aircraft so this rules out using a lot of numbers from the past.

We are now in the 8's and in due course we will get to 9999. I am told that discussions have already been held with CASA on this and we will be going to an alpha/numeric combination.

But in short the policy of the next sequential number is being enforced for all new aircraft registrations.

Guest ozzie

Ian would this mean that the two aircraft that had their numbers reallocatted when they were being rebuilt can appply to have them returned IE 10-001 and 19-0001? sorry but i am not going to back down on this.

Ozzie - I also looked into this as well. 10-0001 is currently registered to an aircraft and the registration is current to 2011.

I was also told that registrations can not be taken away from an aircraft that is currently registered with that registration and registrations can not be re-used.

Crezzi - does UK recreational aircraft (not sure what they are called there - are they called microlights?) have the G registration or do they use numbers like us or something else?

Wow... Whatever aircraft (given that rego's can't be re-used) that has 10-01 and 19-001 must be old classics. What are these great great grandfather aircraft of todays Ra-Aus fleet? Would love to read an article on them and their extensive history.

Guest Crezzi
Crezzi - does UK recreational aircraft (not sure what they are called there - are they called microlights?) have the G registration or do they use numbers like us or something else?

Both 3-axis & trikes are refered to as microlights in UK and they are on the national register with the same G- registrations as everything else. Originally they had to be G-M ... (& I don't think out-of-sequence were possible then) but that ended at least 10 years ago

Cheers

John

Guest ozzie

I'll quickly explain the saga of both 001 aircraft. 10-001 was originally allocated to a skycraft scout. it flew under that for quite some time until it was damaged and the rego lapsed. after it had been found and it had been rebuilt, re registration was applied for. there was no response from the AUF. It took Tony Hayes to explain that the rego number had been reallocated by a then president for his own aircraft. This was against the then rule of sequentially allocated numbers. The owners are a bit miffed that they have spent a fair bit of cash to make airworthy a grass roots aircraft that had a bit of historical value as it was not only the first miniumum aircraft that kicked off this sport and was the first registed (as it should be ) when the AUF came along. now the rego sits on a aircraft that has no historical meaning to anyone. The scout now is 'just another scout'. 19-001 was allocated to a two seat thruster it was the first two seater to obtain certification in this country, the drifter was second. it too has historical value. when Tony was rebuilding it he allowed the rego to lapse and it was snapped up by another ex pres and placed on his Drifter. Once again the historical value of that paticular aircraft has been lost. On both occasions the people involved had overstepped their authority and ignored the rules. For some time the RAAus listing showed 10-001 as a scout until i started making noises and then quietly one day it was changed to relect the 'Muir Kestral' and the ruling of sequentially allocated rego was changed to allow the so call gaps to be filled. Now would anyone like to ask me why i grudginly renew my RAAus membership each year? time to put this right as i do have a couple of aces up my sleeve.

Firstly the '08 crash that lost rego history. Although I am personally a pen and ink bloke, them involved with the little black boxes tell me that ANY one with valuable information should copy it (back up?); if rearly important, every day...standard business practice. Thus rearly no reasion to not do it because of past poor office procedures.

Secondly, when you apply for a number it is allocated for a year. The fee you pay is valid for only 3 months. Why?

Thirdly, why cannot unused numbers not be reused? We have 3000 odd aircraft with 10000 available numbers under current system! If a bloke takes "years" to build, if he fails to renew yearly, reallocate the number ESPECIALLY since he CANNOT select the number he wants now APPARENTLY.

• 1 month later...

Our Wheeler Scout is presently in a shed - so I was looking into refurbishing it in the interests of preserving the early 95:10 aircraft. Despite the statement that numbers are not reallocated the number 0298 is now on a 25 Thruster registered 2/2/89. The Scout was first registered 27/6/88 and the last registration slip I could find was valid up to 26/6/1991. The Scout does not appear on the cancellation list either.

So I guess, for a short period the number could be allocated to both 10 and 25? Also guessing we won't get 10-0298 back.

Sue

Guest ozzie

If 10-0298 has not been reallocated to another 10 class ultralight it should still be on record as your number. other than the restoration all you should have to do is a level two inspection and pay the money. you gonna fly this thing above 500ft?

Our scout was found with the rego number 10-001 unfortunatly the number had been put on the ex presidents kestral. so we did not bother to register it.

In our hangar we have Skydart 10-0404 and Drifter 25-0404, both on with there original registration and both(i think) still current.

Just send in the rego slip and re register the scout.

Kiwi

I did a bit of checking on the RAAus register and found at least one 10 and 25 registration with the same number - 10-0280 Seabird Rouseabout and 25-0280 Drifter. So I might still be able to have the number again.

It is a MkI Scout No.128 with the Pixie engine. Husband is about 100kg so he must have found it hard - I am about half that so I expect it will perform better for me, provided I can reach everything. We are a long way from actually getting it airborne.

Sue