Feb 2010 Brd Meeting - Northern Flyin

Admin

A formal letter will be sent requesting support from the Local Council to hold a Northern Flyin at either Gayndah or Monto in Queensland.

The Flyin has the support of the Aviation Wing of the Department of Defense at Oakey who conduct a mock battle and other exercises at the event and provide many of the facilities.

There will be other activities including forums on flying and maintenance.

The event is planned at this stage to be held on the Queens Birthday weekend in June.

For more information you can contact either of the board members Chris Ungermann or Myles Breitkreutz. Once locked down more I will create a website for the event.

Guest Maj Millard

I believe flyers in the North would welcome a SE Qld fly-in, something we may be able to get to without morgaging an arm or leg. I would also hope that it could be rotated perhaps to a site up in the North on alternate occasions, or at least somewhere in the middle say Ayr or Charters Towers, Emerald etc....................................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

A Qld flyin would be heaps cool, since going long distances is fairly exy for a lot of us as Maj mentions.

I'm in the process of mortgaging an arm, leg and half dozen toes just to get to Temora for Natfly... 036_faint.gif.544c913aae3989c0f13fd9d3b82e4e2c.gif

Forget Emerald Qld - you need an ASIC (so the public can only look through the fence), car parking is charged by the hour / day, aircraft parking charges, landing charges, restrictions on fuel carriage and refuelling and it is 6km from town.

As President of the Springsure Progress & Tourism Assoc Inc let me offer Springsure - no ASIC, right on the edge of town, no landing, parking or any other fees, 2 all weather bitumen strips, toilets, fantasic views from the highest point in town. Right next door is the race track with dining facilities, on the other side the showgrounds (with camping, caravaning, pavillions, dining room, arenas - I'm the Treasurer), the other side the Gun Club who are very good at turning on a weekend with something for everyone. Cheap accommodation - caravan, cabin, hotel, motel, "backpackers" all within 1km of strip. Refueller happy to attend the strip - has everything from Jet A-1 to ULP. Lions & other charities can do catering etc. A number of pilots live in or around Springsure and would love to have a house guest. Plenty for partners - we can turn on scrapbooking, gun shoot, Mt.Zamia National Park look-out, local entertainment, doll museum, if we can swing it a mine tour, other places of interest - feedlot, award winning gardens, Wills graves Massacre & living museum. Or just spend some time in a friendly country town pop 830.

Enough self advertisement! I am thrilled we are having something in Qld.

Sue

Tomo,

Natfly isn't just a flyin. Its a total aviation experience you won't get anywhere else. Hundreds of like minded pilots, helpful, keen, forums, night entertainment, exhibitors, etc etc. When you get there, look me up. I'll shout you dinner. Myh mobile number is in the magazine.

Cazza

Guest Maj Millard

I must drop into Springsure now for sure, I like that country style.......................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Yes thanks Cazza, I'm hoping to make it, and bring Mum along as well, we'll probably fly down in a Jabiru 120 at this stage.

Will definitely have to catch up. :thumb_up:

Guest Escadrille

From the discussions I hear from pilots around SE Qld, A Northern Fly-in alternative to Temora would be a very welcome event. The shift to Temora , while it is acknowledged by most to be a "total aviation experience" , the extra time (i.e either side of the Easter 4 days...)needed to ensure the trip can be carried out VFR (because of associated risks and previous experiences) , the financial cost that the extended time requires from work and family, the cost in the logistics of it all(fuel,accomodation, food,EPIRBs,emergent contingencies etc..., all add up to have affected the decision of many from up here to refrain attending Temora.

We know Temora is more convenient for the RAAUS staff and the people South. So let's have an equivalent up here!

A Northern Fly-in , you know a bit like the Sun N Fun equivalent in the USA. Not replace NATFLY just supplement it! :kumbaya:

I'll get behind Springsure as a location. It has excellent facilities, plenty of camping space and a community that would love to see it happen and offer all sorts of services to see it be a success.

I lived there for two and a half years and the locals are great. The flying around the area is simply amazing also, with some great contrasting countryside. It's pretty much smack bang in the middle of QLD geographically also, which would help out everyone.

Springsure would be an excellent location! I've been talking with our council CEO out here about a western-outback type fly in here at Cunnamulla. It also has excellent facilities and the council would be very keen to see any events out this way.