Importing a NZ Homebuilt to Australia

Just after a bit of advice from anyone who has previously imported a homebuilt into Australia from New Zealand.

Issue, procedure to be aware of when registering the a/c here RAA etc.

Thanks

Peter

• 2 years later...

As per the initial post, does anyone have have any experience re NZ to Oz imports? I know the U.S. to Oz query is well asked, but surely this must be a cheaper proposition? There are some great bargains to be had in NZ, particularly with that exchange rate!

• Like 1

Each Australian port has different charges, so working out your costs depends on where you land it. also different stevedores work in different ports, so you might have to deal with a different fee structure. Most of your hassles will be in Aus not NZ. You can get a tow truck with a tilting tray to load your plane into the container if its on a truck

All sounds fair.

The aircraft types shoud be O.K., as I've been eyeing off some RANS and Bantams in NZ for some time now and want to land it in Brisbane.

I guess if I could get someone to load carefully into a container, the rest is finding a decent shipper and then dealing with the customs/DOTARS aspects in Brisbane. Shame the Oz authorities have a habit of making everything harder than it needs to be...

Just after a bit of advice from anyone who has previously imported a homebuilt into Australia from New Zealand.Issue, procedure to be aware of when registering the a/c here RAA etc.

Thanks

Peter

Funny, I have been thinking of doing it the other way around.

Talk with Solo Wings (Colin Alexander) in Tauranga as they have approval to load /unload containers and do all shipping paperwork and include quarintine inspections etc. They will also have some idea of a container cost between NZ/ Brisbane.

Cheers

The Savannahs and Spirits are bought in here by Powerhouse down at Eagle Farm ......I also use them for getting my CNC machines in by seafreight from China they are very helpful and fast...really take all the stress out of it...where you get screwed over is by all the port charges...that isnt the freight forwarder/importer they just pass them on at cost...there are a half a page of charges by these greedy thugs...just outrageous the pricing but you are stuck with having to pay them either way

Mark

NZ has an amazing second hand Ultralight market considering its population... There seems to be a much bigger variety of what we would call Grassroots Ultralight aircraft on offer in the sub $20k price range...

I read somewhere that New Zealand has the highest per-capita boat ownership in the world and the second-highest per-capita aeroplane ownership in the world (after the United States).

The economy has had quite a down-turn and many people are having to sell their pride and joy just to stay financially afloat. We don't have a treasurer over here like Wayne Swan that is able to turn the government books back to a surplus (probably because there are very few mines to tax). Instead, a surplus is not likely to happen until in the second half of this decade. As a result, the entire economy is somewhat depressed.

• Like 1