Hooray! RAA Northern Fly-in Monto 12-14 June

FlyingVizsla

harthy was supposed to be going up as well tomo, who are you taking??

Yes, Harthy is going up on Sunday in the J120... so I'm breaking the way! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

No one officially lined up yet for pax, I'm going to ask a friend if she'd like to, if not my brother will most likely be it. You got something in mind??

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Andys@coffs

talking of the weather what are people thinking? especially those whose departure would be from the south of Monto?

Im a bit nervous of the forecast as I was intending to go inland from Grafton to Toowoomba and to do so have to go over the ranges and as such was interested in the cloud base... might have to look at going up the coast east of brisbane.... I admit to being a bit wary of that busy area....

Who has done the east of brisbane route up the coast and was there anything that needs close watching?

Andy

I'll let the pro's tell you about flying east of brisy - though I've gone up the Islands before, that's a nice trip, just stay under brisy and flying on the right hand side of the island, and up the coast I would have thought.

Anyway, I'm heading up from Dalby, just a short hop really, it's looking pretty promising at this stage - tail wind up (gives us head wind coming home though 040_nerd.gif.a6a4f823734c8b20ed33654968aaa347.gif ).

Look forward to seeing you all :thumb_up::thumb_up:

Ps. Slarti and Ian are on there way from Canberra today in the Cheetah.

Guest DonningtonSmythe

Unfortunately I can't make it now - the Gold Wing's radiator has sprung a leak (as has the wallet as a result!) but Donald Winsor from Mackay has kindly offered to take some posters and cards down for me, so if you're looking for info and contact details on the Ingham Wings and Wheels Airshow 2011, catch up with Donald or check the noticeboards. I now have plenty of time to plan next year's trip to Monto! Hope it all goes well and a safe, enjoyable trip for all.

talking of the weather what are people thinking? especially those whose departure would be from the south of Monto?Im a bit nervous of the forecast as I was intending to go inland from Grafton to Toowoomba and to do so have to go over the ranges and as such was interested in the cloud base... might have to look at going up the coast east of brisbane.... I admit to being a bit wary of that busy area....

Who has done the east of brisbane route up the coast and was there anything that needs close watching?

Andy

Can I suggest that the coastal route wouldn't be a problem, and the expected southerlies should give good assist. Know thy VNC!! I hear lot's of VCA's in the 2500' step at Murwullimbah and behind Coolangatta( Mt Somerville!!), so please get it right if you go this way. Cross at Jacobs and follow the islands to Moreton then over to Bribie- Bundy and then west should work out fine- stay out of Maroochy airspace after 7.45am local though.

Going west is traffic easier but again check Amberley status and fog may raise it's head as dewpoint will be low tomorrow. This route has a lot of tiger country, but cloud should not be a problem tomorrow- returning may be different.

Hope this helps- and stay warm 8 degrees tonight!

Guest Maj Millard

Unfortunatly I will be a no-show for this one due work and family commitments, which I just can't get out of at this time. I am dissappointed as I was looking foward to seeing you all, but I will just have to look foward to next year. Fly safe all, and have a great time, as I know you all will..................................................................................Maj...051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

Guest Andys@coffs
Can I suggest that the coastal route wouldn't be a problem, and the expected southerlies should give good assist. Know thy VNC!! I hear lot's of VCA's in the 2500' step at Murwullimbah and behind Coolangatta( Mt Somerville!!), so please get it right if you go this way. Cross at Jacobs and follow the islands to Moreton then over to Bribie- Bundy and then west should work out fine- stay out of Maroochy airspace after 7.45am local though. Going west is traffic easier but again check Amberley status and fog may raise it's head as dewpoint will be low tomorrow. This route has a lot of tiger country, but cloud should not be a problem tomorrow- returning may be different.

Hope this helps- and stay warm 8 degrees tonight!

Thanks for the advice, I can see why the VCA's occur, I was aiming to track direct Murwullimbah to Hecks field and could see that the highest point on the 2500ft limit track was 1600 ft so not much clearance, and again as the step down to 1500 there is a similar clearance before the climb out to 3500.

I'll check forecast again in the morning and make a d as to which way, though probably much more for SWMBO to see on the coastal route.

Regards

Andy