Just want every one to know I'am building a Taylor in the upper midwest of USA and I think the only one being built at this time in the states. Here is a few pictures. If any one has built one and want to share ideas please contact me. Don
I got my Horz,Stab mounts bolted on and I must say what a pain in the a$$. I immediately changed to a way that I fill is much stronger and of near the same weight. I inverted my fuselage and glued in Maple hardwood blocks under the ply that is bellow the Horz. stab. I added 45 degree strips to strengthen and put 3 each side on each blocks 2 inch Stainless steel screws horizontally into the upper longeron and up right. I then made Alum angle mounts with the option to set incidence +/- if desired. Also gets the tail wheel in a good work position.
In my last post I spoke of changing mounts for the Horz. Stab and I made up 4- 6061 T-6 Alum brackets from a wrecked Ag Cat near my home. Also while the Fuselage was inverted I wanted to get a picture of those pretty lines the T-mono has on its under side.
Thank you planedriver. I intend to power mine with a 1835 VW. Winter has settled in our area so gives me more time to work on the plane. When I get frustrated with the build I fire up one of the models and drill a few holes in the sky and hope I don't drill the plane into the ground.I hope to gain some ground this winter on the T-mono
Don, there is a Taylor sitting in the back of one of our hangars. It has been there for some time. I heard that it got as far as initial taxi trial runs, but had a problem with the undercarriage. Also heard that the U/C was repaired and/or modified as a result of the incident. I haven't met the owner but if you like, I can seek out more information for you.
got a little closer to the cockpit opening. I found 1/2" air hose worked well for the filler pad and a soft leather to cap off with once the skirts are glued in place. I think this tan color leather will go good with the aircraft.
I have been working on fuel tank position along with making my instrument panel removable after top cowling is removed this is a bad sketch of what I have in mind. Top Cowling will end just in front of wind screen. Appears I will need to remove 2 inches off the width of upper and lower cowling and I believe a piano hinge down the center at top with cam locks along the cheeks will do a good job. Plenty of room for a 1835 VW engine under the cowling with exhaust running out under firewall. A little every day.
Instrument Dash box finished. Man what a job to get that ply to form curves in such a short distance. Will be nice to pull Dash out and service and replace instruments. It's very light and strong. will be adding padded leather to top of panel for safety so I left 5/8" overhang above instruments. 14 SS screws required to remove and top cowling. Fuel tank and wind screen is next. When taking a straight edge laying on top of the box to the firewall I landed within a 1/16 of an inch. A bit closer every day