Polaris RIB Advice and Suggestions

New to this forum and Ultralights!

I'm moving to the NT to live remotely and considering a Polaris RIB as it seems the most practical option in the area.

I've never flown an ultralight, but had my private licence for many years.

Got a good large lagoon close behind me and seems pretty croc free most times.... but who knows what tomorrow brings 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

I've done my share of flying in the area, know there are lots of practical 'all winter' lagoons and I'd add the landing gear for property strips. Suitable landing strips are pretty rare.

Just missed a Polaris RIB recently... any suggestions on where to look... prepared to import.

Thanks and all suggestions/comments would be really appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Grant and welcome

Why that ac ?

The adds and PR look really nice, the specs and info look ordinary to say the least?

may be better talking to airborne ( float trike )

or look at a Ramphos ( boat trike )

neither are RIB though.

From what I can read your choice is slow with a large wing area.

I am guessing in remote NT you are looking at travelling reasonable distances, with perhaps lots of thermal activity?

so, slow and big wing surface, low fuel load may not be the best choice for those conditions. ??? Just my quick thoughts anyway, I may be wrong.

• Agree 1

• 1 year later...

the polaris is an underpowered machine a friend of mine was using one as a platform for filming birds in the amazon and 2 up with camera it took nearly 2/3 rds of a mile to get into the air and they had a couple of scary near misses by all accounts.

I would give the polaris a miss if I were you

cheers

William

• 3 years later...
New to this forum and Ultralights!I'm moving to the NT to live remotely and considering a Polaris RIB as it seems the most practical option in the area.

I've never flown an ultralight, but had my private licence for many years.

Got a good large lagoon close behind me and seems pretty croc free most times.... but who knows what tomorrow brings 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

I've done my share of flying in the area, know there are lots of practical 'all winter' lagoons and I'd add the landing gear for property strips. Suitable landing strips are pretty rare.

Just missed a Polaris RIB recently... any suggestions on where to look... prepared to import.

Thanks and all suggestions/comments would be really appreciated!

I'm guessing a Ramphos is too expensive maybe? If not - there's one for sale here. Cheers. http://www.aviationadvertiser.com.au/new_search.php?do_search=Search&catid_search=133

• 5 months later...
AMAZON, Gezzzzzz wrong platform for filming Id say, open area shoreline large lakes, is what this FIB was designed for

I have a Polaris FIB582 G-CIXI that is operated by a Wildlife Conservation Supporter in Weymouth & an acquaintance is operating a Polaris FIB582 in Crete.

Both these are operated in Open Waters & neither are classed as open area shoreline large lakes.

These are very capable FIB's

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Anyone know of a cygnet/krucker out there for sale?

With the 912, I read that they are probably the best platform for a amphibious weight shift trike.

Cheers

Anthony

Guest Howard Hughes
Has anyone seen the Fly Synthesis Catalina in the flesh? Looks like it would perform a similar role, but not transportable.

Or maybe it is! 020_yes.gif.58d361886eb042a872e78a875908e414.gif

• 5 years later...
On 01/05/2016 at 9:27 AM, SGIAN DUBH said:

I have a Polaris FIB582 G-CIXI that is operated by a Wildlife Conservation Supporter in Weymouth & an acquaintance is operating a Polaris FIB582 in Crete.

Both these are operated in Open Waters & neither are classed as open area shoreline large lakes.

On 01/05/2016 at 9:27 AM, SGIAN DUBH said:

Hi SGIAN, 

I love your Polaris FIB video. 
Please help me buy one!!

I have tried phone & website in Italy with no success - are they finished? 
I have owned trikes before and I am surprised how well this FIB flies and also how easily it “Un-sticks” from water on takeoff compared to other seaplanes I’ve flown. I want to carry this on a yacht so I definitely prefer the inflatable hull over the solid plastic hull of the Ramphos. Nevertheless I have also tried contacting Tamphos in Taiwan with no success 🤷‍♂️. Any help would be appreciated- Mike

my contact: [email protected]