Ford Tri Motor Aeros from 1930

Guest ozzie

NOTE: You can show the video instead of just a link by simply clicking the [ATTACH]12187.vB[/ATTACH]image in the toolbar when you create the post and paste the link in the popup box that appears.

I have edited the first post to show the video this way

video.png.75d2e7667c9fa692b019c31da0d27d4c.png

"GIGANTIC" plane aero's

GIGANTIC... Would have been ,in it's day. The spin entry is a bit odd but it is a good image of a spin to get an idea of what a spin is. The roll is especially interesting as I reckon that it is a "flick" roll. The. elevators are well back (up), and the rudder is hard over. A flick roll is like a horizontal spin and is entered at a much lower speed than other rolls as the plane is stalled during the manoeuver. The tri-motor is a very slow plane so the loop would test it out. With no payload it is probably strong enough to do this stuff. Ford built them from a Fokker licence. Nev

Nice Ozzie

Here is a colour version, some nice loops in this.

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

Guest Maj Millard

That is pretty impressive footage for sure...it's amazing what the depression did for some starving pilots !! I'm surprised it hung together really. I arrived at a country airshow once in Calif and there was one doing low circuts and landings, huge thick wing and pretty impressive low speed capability also. No doubt they were pretty tough !!..............Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

naremman

Great footage. As much a demonstration of what not to do as it is by showing some elements of flight most pilots don't visit.

Interesting flick roll. Look for the strong lead in full rudder followed by full up application of elevator. The fact that it was unstable after completing 360 degrees of roll shows how close to the edge that it was. If it was a test of the structural integrity of the rudder and elevator it think it just passed!!

The images of the spin should form the basis of an instructional video. It took the best part of a full rotation to stabilize nose down, two rotations stabilized and crisp recovery. Great demonstration of the classic stall too.

If I had been a spectator on the ground I think I would have had my heart in my mouth.

Probably rates in the same category of the first Boeing 707 being barrel rolled.