Ultralight puts down in Banks Strait, Tasmania

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 strokes need a thorough maintenance and checking regime to keep them reliable and I know that too many just fly them till they stop and just say " .... Oh well it is just a 2 stroke ...". I have experienced 2 stroke engine failure for a reason that was avoidable in my earlier days.

Quite true I think, the Rotax and Robin 2 strokes are good engines but you have to treat them right if you don't know the history of the engine then anything could happen. To me it would be a serious gamble to buy a second hand plane in Tasmania and try to fly it across Bass Strait.

All engines fail for reasons, some of the reasons are detectable in advance if you have an inspection and maintenance regime in place. To simply outrule 2 strokes on reliability alone is in my view a narrow perspective.

I agree completely that all engines fail for a reason but unfortunately, most of the time, the reason is found after the event! A good inspection and maintenance regime is much better than a bad one or none at all but it won`t guarantee the engine will keep running for the duration of the flight.

At the time, it doesn`t realy matter why the engine has stoped, if it can`t be restarted you`re going down! That is guaranteed! At that point the only thing that realy matters is that you walk away, preferably uinjured.

My first engine failure was at 500` agl ( Legal limit at the time ) in the aircraft I had built. I had simply turned the wrong fuel tap and cut off the fuel to the engine. Didn`t realise it at the time because I was so focused on landing safely, which I did in a neighbors cane paddock, found the problem, flew it out.

My current Rotax 503 has done 365 hrs of absolutely trouble free running! I`ve dismantled it once to inspect and de-coke. Would I fly Bass straight in the Drifter? Only in my dreams! I`ve had all the flying adventures I need. Would I try and stop anyone else from experienceing what they consider an adventure? Absolutely not!!!

Frank.

Ps,If anyone knows, I`d like to know what type of engine was on the ditched Thruster, please!

• Like 2

I'd fly over the Bass Straight.

Possibly in my t-bird... but, and this is telling, not with my daughter on board if it were my t-bird (has a 582).

That all said, I had (a few weeks ago) been looking at two man life rafts... mostly out of curiosity.

They weigh in at under 15kg when you can find them. Some more like 8. Even the "inshore use only" ones would increase your chances of survival (assuming you made it out of the aircraft with the liferaft) massively. I found it interesting these lads had those mattresses and survived... it also cemented my thought that a life-raft would be a wise and relatively cheap investment.

Separately, did I miss something or did the boys inadvertently admit to not wearing their life jackets until after the engine failure? I thought you had to have one on when over water and not within glide of land.

I think they were wearing them. They said they only had 3 minutes after engine failure to splash down. They cannot have been at any substantial height and they were on the phone/radio to ATC all the way down. So i doubt they would have had time to don life jackets at the same time. I still don't follow their logic for removing seat belts at this stage.

I've crossed Bass Strait three times. Always in company with other aircraft with good radios. If one goes down, the other can report to Melbourne Radio with coordinates and details, and probably hang around long enough to direct a rescuing chopper to the site. No way I'd go solo across the water!

Of course with life jacket on, and lots of woolen clothing (long underwear and sweaters) underneath to act like a wet suit and conserve body heat.

With a glide ratio of 8:1 from 8500ft it's always possible to ditch at an island. Probably too rough and craggy to land on but at least be right near a landmark to make it easier for SAR. Have all islands in the GPS as waypoints, and be aware of wind direction, so always know which way to glide for best results.

JG

• Like 1

I've crossed Bass Strait three times. Always in company with other aircraft with good radios. If one goes down, the other can report to Melbourne Radio with coordinates and details, and probably hang around long enough to direct a rescuing chopper to the site. No way I'd go solo across the water!Of course with life jacket on, and lots of woolen clothing (long underwear and sweaters) underneath to act like a wet suit and conserve body heat.

With a glide ratio of 8:1 from 8500ft it's always possible to ditch at an island. Probably too rough and craggy to land on but at least be right near a landmark to make it easier for SAR. Have all islands in the GPS as waypoints, and be aware of wind direction, so always know which way to glide for best results.

JG

Doesn't woolen clothing absorb water and become very heavy?

I still fly with that rule in mind even though I no longer fly 2 strokes and it still applies 912s

Goodonya Richard!....When I was flying the Zenith 701 with the Rotax 912 that was based here, I took someone up in it, over the Atherton tablelands to Tinarroo Dam. Motor ran sweetly all the way there and back.

On the very next pre-flight inspection, I found both carby intake rubber sockets completely broken and being held in place by the retaining springs.

Had I missed it on the pre-flight? Had they broken on that flight? I`ll never know! but one thing is for sure! the engine wasn`t a 2 stroke and had it failed in flight, we were going down!!!

Frank.

The engine that won't fail hasn't been made yet. Jet engines are infinitely more reliable than pistons. Probably the biggest step forward in aviation safety and reliability in one go. I keep flogging the idea of the wankel for sportplanes. Not necessarily the Mazda though. There are many of them used for outboard racing applications. If they start they usually get you home. Nev

Guest Maj Millard

Impact with the water can be just as hard as the ground at speed. By all means set up to safety release belts after initial impact, but leave them well fastened for the contact. I'm sure our friend Lee Ungermann would agree after being plastered all over the dash of a C 182 jump-plane, during an engine out ditching at Hamilton Island many years ago !...you don 't swim too well if you have just broken your arm/s, or have been knocked unconscious. Would I fly Bass straight with a 582 ?.... Sure, but I would make sure the engine is a good as it can be, and carry a lot of height !.....I also like JGs idea of having some company along............Maj......012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Water can be pretty hard all right. The lifejackets are inflatable usually and should not be inflated before you are out of the plane. re the seatbelt. Brief the access and action of undoing them but leave them to do the job they were put there for. If you are unconscious you won't do much for yourself and you don't want to be bleeding in seawater with noahs in it. If you look at the Thruster you can see that it would be virtually impossible to ditch without it inverting.

A near new 582 run in properly and with the carbs set exactly right would be quite reliable as long as the fuel was clean and fresh. They are not putting out a lot of power for their size, but I've seen plenty that shouldn't be used to get airborne with . Got less compression than a lawnmower should have. Any how I'm with Farri on this. Nev

So that ditching was Lee.

Never had a mechanical failure with any model Robin engine. Numerous with early rotax.even today I'd trade weight and a few hp and go robin

Guest Maj Millard

When Louis Bleroit took off to fly the English Channel, he had no compass or other nav gear on board. He also had to top up the engines' oil every few minutes enroute.

His last comment to his mechanic before take off ?....." Which direction is Dover by the way ?".........

After Charles Lindbergh crossed the Atlantic single- engined, solo, and ended up in Paris, he was asked who he would most like to meet at the official reception. His reply " Louis Bleroit" .....they had a quiet meeting on a balcony, with Bleroits daughter translating his French. Bleroit gave Lindbergh a piece of broken timber from the prop of the channel-crossing Bleroit, which Lindbergh cherished the rest of his life. Bleroit told Lindbergh "I would not want to fly in your aircraft for so many hours over the ocean !".....Lindberghs reply ?....."I would not want to fly in your aircraft for one minute !!"... ...The last person to talk with Lindbergh before his risky take- off for the first solo Atlantic crossing ??....Dutchman Anthony Fokker.................Maj......011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

Guest Maj Millard

Yes that was Lee. I flew In A 582 equipped Xair very early this morning during 'extensive use on a property'.., (aka: mustering) doubt if we got much above 500 at any time...great flight. I then jumped in the 912 Lightwing, and flew the hour back to Townsville over fairly rugged remote country in places. I've done that same route many times in the past in my 582 Drifter.

The same applies with either engine, cruise high and if she quits get some calls out and do your best below. With height you have more options to pick from. Bottom lines is keep your engines in the best shape you can at all times !............Maj....014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

image.jpg.5b0723f6d2861bd01a9ed49eaa10d96f.jpg

image.jpg.c5d6ac3c3156d9d893b91daaacb4c124.jpg

image.jpg.1785506896320f48d5902d6c95aa6bf0.jpg

image.jpg.8eaac6270a147e4c48bca7cdd009b9ac.jpg

image.jpg.e042da8a20421c1aa2c907aec211381d.jpg

image.jpg.f52280e05ad4077e21070374e1454c3a.jpg

No forward vision in the Lindbergh plane. ( a purpose build Ryan with the magnificent Wright whirlwind motor) The Bleriot could easily be built as a replica and is a fairly conventional wire braced monoplane with castering wheels. There's a project for some keen aviator , that would not cost much..Nev