Bit late

Guest DWB

Howdy - for those that don't know me I'm an RAAus pilot & own a Atec Zephyr which I resurrected in 2010 even though it only had 230 hrs on the clock, but hadn't flown for 5 years & was stripped down.

I'm about to also join the rag & tube fraternity as well, having done the deal on one of the first Thruster's, a Glasshouse Utility (the only one in existence now according to documentation I now have from the Late Tony Hayes) built in Australia in 1984. This AC requires a little work, mostly on the engine as it hasn't ran for a few years either (Rotax 582 grey head). I'll post a story in the Thruster forum after I pick it up. (hopefully this Sunday).

I fly from my own strip on my farm at Denman in the Upper Hunter Valley NSW, with a couple of minor challenges, like a lot of farm strips.

I look forward to discussions& stories on here with all pilots, aircrews, whoever. It's all about aviating.

Guest Darren Masters

Dexter, welcome to TAA 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif I used to own a Thruster and sold the bird some years back. Brilliant machine! Kept it at my folks farm at Bathurst. Now I have a Mirage. It's my freedom on my days off and I enjoy every single second flying the bird. Below is a pic. I look forward to hearing about your Thruster mate 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif I have seen a few Zephyrs before. Brilliant looking machine. Again, welcome. Good to have you with us 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

My baby Ultraflight Mirage ZK-FEQ

Guest BlackRod
. . . I fly from my own strip on my farm at Denman in the Upper Hunter Valley NSW, with a couple of minor challenges, like a lot of farm strips. . . .

I like your idea of minor Dex. 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

HI Dex, If you would like to pop in at home, on the way back down from the sunny coast.Give us a message.Either here or on FB. Im just off the M1.At Robina, Spin may be able to meet you as well.He lives just up the road from me.

I like your idea of minor Dex. 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

You'll be right Don even Anne tells everyone it's not a big deal! Her hand signals on short final crack me up though.

Dazza PM coming your way ta.

Darren, that Mirage looks great! How do you handle getting out of (presumably) A320's & skipping around in that?

Guest Darren Masters
Darren, that Mirage looks great! How do you handle getting out of (presumably) A320's & skipping around in that?

Very easily mate believe me. Yes, I am in the A320 then on the days off I love to go and do some REAL flying 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

Guest Darren Masters
Welcome Dex....Darren, the only problem with your Mirage is that it isnt a tail dragger :p

Ha ha Chris, sometimes I miss the tail-draggers, other times not. How have you been buddy? It's been ages 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

Yes thanks David - didn't get home till 9pm though. Had a bit of trouble with the truck on the way down. Might take a pic of it loaded in the morning & post.

Scotty already thinking about an extension, it's not too late.

Thanks guys

Here's some pics of it at home before I unload it Lifted its trailer on the truck first with the Hiab, then lifted the AC onto the trailer with the Hiab. Wing tubes fold down & are stored in the rack with the ailerons (the red bits) Everything else is in the large storage box under the tail boom on the trailer. De-rigging took longer than expected, not a 5 minute job that's for sure. Only damage was a small rip to the wing fabric that caught on the concrete floor lip in the hangar at Somersby whilst collapsing the wing. I'll start a thread dedicated to the Glasshouse now I have it home in the Thruster section here.

Cheers

Dexter

1099177427_2011-10-16_11_57_061.jpg.0377d01b88ef307c425baacc5e4ed74e.jpg

The start of a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG road.

Hey Turbo, has someone told you I can be slow? LOL

Actually the first thing I have discovered is that in the de-rigging process, you get to inspect EVERYTHING. It is in excellent condition. Adam had even just replaced a cable as he found 1 strand broken. I found 1 non AN bolt, although it was Grade 5 UNF.

The process from here is simply to re-register 19-3153, in my name with a Condition Report from an L2, Check the engine out - done 157 hrs. Then get my TW, LP, & 2S endorsements, possibly in the Glasshouse with an Instructor that is prepared to do it that way.

But yes time frame wise that may not be until next winter, but we'll see................

Dex it would be good if there was some way of getting the GH to Temora for the planned 95-10 display next year even if it is not flying.. I guess we would have to find someone to tow the trailer to Temora, because i will be towing the Javelin down there.