Your Thoughts

I intend at some time in the future (may be a long term thing) obtaining my pilots certificate (when finances allow and I get the OK from the Minister for all things Domestic)

I'm wondering about the thought of readers as to which way to go.

A/-I can get lessons locally (around 10 mins drive from my home for $160/hour in a Jabaru 160

B/-I can get lessons from another place around 1.15 hours away for $100/hour in a Thruster TST 300

My way of thinking if I take the second option and do it in 2 hour blocks I would be saving over $1000 overall (Minus the petrol cost of the extra traveling)

Any Thoughts?

I'd make use of a trial instruction flight for both to see what you like - thrusters arn't everybodys idea of fun, though I personally loved the only flight I've had in one (a T600 Vision). You may prefer the teaching of one instructor over the other too.

That said I travel about that sort of distance/time to goulburn to fly and the petrol costs will make up that difference quite quickly unless you do a couple of lessons while you are there. I'd advise against trying to do too much though, especially at first.

I've tried a combination of different options while out there, and the one that seems to work quite well is to do your first flight fairly early on in the day, followed by a break (looking at planes, chatting to others, studying theory, eating lunch in town, whatever) followed by another flight in the mid to late afternoon. Then camp the night in the hanger (no campfires!) or somewhere closeby, repeat the next day and drive home.

The main thing is to give yourself quite a rest between flights - otherwise you'll run into information overload and wont learn as fast as you otherwise would.

Also if you get motion sickness (:confused:)as badly as I do you'll want at least a couple of hours break to let your stomach settle. Ginger tablets help a lot with that for other sufferers.

G'day Nev, Go for the Jab160. I think your other half will feel safer with you in a real aeroplane 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif Remember, one day, you'll want to take her up with you. Good luck in your quest,

Safe flying everybody, Doug

Thruster or Jab.

Nev, if you get a chance come down to Latrobe Valley for the Saturday Bar B Que and meet some of the GULF gang. Every Saturday around midday.

David

Guest derosa64jr

Nev

I recently got my Pilot Certificate with all my training on a J160.

It took me about 38 hours over a period of about 11 months.

I drive 75 kms (45 mins) each way from home to airfield.

When I get home after flying I invariably need an afternoon nap (Mind you I’m a little longer in the tooth than you!). I think it is the excitement of flying followed by the drive that does me in :;)2:

Personally I would go for the Jab close by rather than the long drive, especially when the the weather is a bit marginal, and you drive all that way only to find conditions at the field have deteriorated and all flying is off.

Mind you, I now wouldn’t turn down a chance to fly a Thruster :)

John

In the long and short run it would workout a lot cheaper getting your Tail dragger endorsement first as that covers the Tri gear as well but not the other way around. So go for the Thruster as it would also make a better pilot out of you. That's my two bobs worth. Cheers [i'm not biased as I still need to get my TD endorsement]

Unless there is a problem with the instructor I would say go for the Thruster.

It will make a better pilot of you and you will have no trouble going to a Jabiru later, if you go Jab first you will have a fair bit of work getting used to a tailwheel later. Of course I am assuming the Thruster is not a nose wheel version.

Guest pelorus32

G'day Nev,

We were chatting about this kind of situation yesterday. I'm firmly of the belief that the instructor is the deciding factor. You are going to have to spend a fair amount of time in a confined space with that person (or people). You want to be sure that you can learn from that person and that you are likely to enjoy being around them.

Further in my view you should choose a school where you have the ability to fly with more than one instructor. Flying with different instructors adds depth and roundness to what you learn. Each has some additional things to teach you and different ways of getting points across. That means that if you are stuck on something it often becomes clear when you fly with another instructor.

As for the choice of aircraft - that's a means to an end. You aren't choosing the aircraft that you will fly for the rest of your life, just the aircraft you will learn to fly in. Having said that you can make it easier or harder by the choice of aircraft.

My personal view though is don't make it any harder than it has to be. You have plenty to learn anyway. I think that the time to add new challenges is when you know how to do the basics really well - that's when you have your newly minted pilot certificate. I don't really buy "if you can fly aircraft x you can fly anything so learn on it". Choose an aircraft that's simple to fly. That of course rules out the Jab and the Thruster :big_grin:. In fact I tell my Jab flying mates that I won't sit in their Jabs let alone fly them...and as for a Thruster! Seriously go for the easiest to fly so long as it comes with good instructors. Otherwise go with the best instructors. If later you want to fly the most difficult taildragger on the planet then that's a new challenge for you.

Best of luck, I hope you have a heap of fun.

Regards

Mike

Introductory

Nev 25,

Introductory 1/2 hour flights are around $40 mark and you be given opportunity to grab the controls.

Why not to try both places for 2 x $40 and make your mind later.

(Incidentally, I have only 14 hours on Thruster and I know now I be never regretting it - it is said the first 8 maiden hours will decide your style for life)

011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif - my own recommendation exactly!

I started in a Jabiru, after 7 hours was going to give it away as I didn't think it was what flying was all about, went to a Gazelle and loved it. Went back to the Jabiru and got endorsed in that and enjoyed it and then went to a CT and loving it (many other aircraft also flown in small bouts). I also went up in a trike and now I want to get one of them and am longing to spend some hours in a Thruster!

I hope I haven't confused you even more ;)

Guest pelorus32
Hey Mike - OK you got me!Tell me why you don't like the Jabiru? 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

regards

G'day Pete,

Truth first: I've never flown in a Jab! When I was looking for a place to learn I did the rounds and sat in quite a few aircraft. Some of them made me feel claustrophobic; some of them weren't physically big enough for me; some of the controls felt really awkward; and the Storch felt as if I was putting on a wetsuit not getting into an aircraft! The Jab felt so small, so low to the ground, and I cannot abide a centre stick. So that ruled it out for me.

In addition I watch all the local Jabs eating up the runway and climbing slowly into the air and compare that with the short take-off and great climb of the Tecnam. I just decided I liked the performance and the lower wing loading of the Tecnam.

I certainly acknowledge the fact that Jab owners love their aircraft in an almost cult like fashion. They can't be that bad. Just not for me. For me it's a bit like the old Ford vs Holden thing.

(Ducks below the parapet, pulls flak jacket over head and crawls out of the field of fire;))

Regards

Mike

Dare I even enter the fray... with the F*&D v Holden, er... Jab v anything else debate..

I have flown the Jab, and really liked the experience.

Once I got used to having the throttle where the seat adjustment knob would be, a centre stick that I had to have my hand in my armpit, a non adjustable seat and the fuel tank sloshing right behind me.

Once in the sky, it took a while learning to boot the rudder when using aileron, to get the thing to go in a banked turn. Then on landing, having to manage throttle with a hand under my legs, was er, different..

Aside from the acclimatisation, the Jab is a top ship.

I know that Jabiru make a panel mounted throttle, but why not keep it in the centre, as is standard on Piper, Cessna, Alpi and dare I say it.. Tecnam?

Mind you, if I was given one, or unlimited time in one, I would never say no..

Ben

*Ducks and runs for cover with Mike*

Guest Tristo

Nev 25,

The instructor is just as important as the choice of airplane.

there was a post about instructors a wile ago:

http://www.recreationalflying.com/forum/showthread.php?t=764

(hope i did the paste bit right :))

The other important part is the aircraft.

I think it has to have two major things.

1. Easy to fly and stable (better learning enviroment, get confidence quicker).

2. Comfortable (if its more comfortable, you are more relaxed, therefore more open to learning).

if you dont get the right instructor/aircraft or just the right instructor. the money you saved on traveling, will be easily eaten up by the extra hours.

Tristo