Getting a camera installed

Admin

Looks good Mike - just what I am after. I have booked the CT in for some avionics upgrade which is getting done in 3 weeks so I need to get something before then for them to install it.

Anyone know of any systems like this that are available in Australia without costing the same price as the CT itself?

Incidentally, I will soon enable the direct linking to and uploading of videos into the forum such as being able to play youtube videos within a post like I did here as a test:

http://www.recreationalflying.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3531&highlight=transformer

Your first task Mr Equipment Reviewer, should you choose to accept it, research and find the best 3 portable recording devices (subject to affordability) that will suit the task on hand and let me know. I will try and get them on loan for a formal review and comparison to be included in the Equipment Reviews page.

Oh, did I mention that the role also includes that a forum member can ask for a comparison be done on ANY item of equipment and we will get demo versions to be reviewed and comparisons made (if possible) 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Deskpilot - you may need to get the latest version of Macromedia Flash Player. It is downloadable from here:

http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash

Although if you are seeing the forum header with movement in it then you possibly have it already installed - might be worth a check.

Also, I know at work they are running Internet Explorer version 6 which has an old version player installed by default and I can't upgrade it due to the security permissions here at work so I am not seeing the flash header of the forums - just a blue bar where it should be.

untitled.JPG.490304072f302dc9e133347abff827b6.JPG

Looks good Mike - just what I am after. I have booked the CT in for some avionics upgrade which is getting done in 3 weeks so I need to get something before then for them to install it.Anyone know of any systems like this that are available in Australia without costing the same price as the CT itself?

Incidentally, I will soon enable the direct linking to and uploading of videos into the forum such as being able to play youtube videos within a post like I did here as a test:

http://www.recreationalflying.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3531&highlight=transformer

G'day Ian,

I not sure of the cam-unit brand shown in the link (looks quite a good unit) but a similar styled lipstick camera with all the associated equipment including a wide-angle lens did not leave much 'coffee change' from $4000... 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif With that, the replay resolution was 525 lines which is getting close to our standard TV quality.

Cheers,

If you're interested in the Elmo SUV Cam, check out http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/category566_1.htm, best price I could find in Australia - $999. There's also a few accessories including wide angle lens but you could get that and the camera for less than $1200.

If you already have a digital video camera with an A/V input, look for just the 'lipstick' or 'bullet' camera, they start from about $300.

Cheers,

Matt.

What I like about the idea of a camera is that the CT guy in the US that I mentioned above is still a student and he records every flight to review later to improve his flying - we are always learning.

Doing the same myself regarding the filming for review purposes - the roll cage in the CT4 makes a great camera mount for a variety of angles and the size of the camera isn't too much of an issue.

The RAAF does the same with a lot of their aircraft - the Hornet has 3 cameras in the cockpit, one that looks through the HUD and one on each side of the canopy just behind the pilots shoulders that record all the cockpit activity during a flight. During the debrief the pilot & instructor review the entire flight footage from all 3 cameras (as well as mission computers) and discuss things such as technique, use of automation and systems etc.

It's great that this technology is getting small and cheap enough (relatively speaking) that we can all benefit.

Cheers,

Matt.

• 2 weeks later...

Samsung

Hi Ian Have a Samsung Miniket Sports camcorder. Very small within it's self and also comes with a remote mountable camera, still need's to be pluged in and has a couple of aaa batteries in it. Will get around to pulling it to bits one day to see if it is possible to mount the camera part away from the battery part, you could then mount it on the side of your headset or possibly your helmet. It was about $1100-$1200 when we purchased it.

Cheers Guy

For those interested I have a cheap ($299) video camera mounted on my drifter pod and plugged into my helmet. I can speak onto the tape as I go. This way the tape also picks up both outbound and inbound radio calls. The mount is a simple aluminum mount on rubber pads to take out vibration shudder.

My trial and error attempts show you need a tape or hard drive camera not a disc camera as the DVD discs "flutter" from vibration and wind. You need a microphone input to cut out the wind noise and allow you to record audio, and with a cheap camera you are not so paranoid if it gets wet or damaged.

I mounted my camera on the right side of the pod but it would be better on the left side as you don't get good "circut video" with the camera mounted on the right side

Regards

John

Hi all

I can offer a little advice for those putting cameras out in the breeze. whether it is a disc or a tape camera, both will be affected by flutter caused by the wind. i have done several hundred jumps with old video 8/hi8 cameras and it took me a while to overcome this. at first i just used gaff tape and taped the cassette door shut. but nearly every switch and button was allowing the wind in. Some built a small perspex box for it. they just added weight even tho they did the job. In the end i made a tight sock for it out of wet suit material and this worked fantastic. I marked where the buttons were and could easily turn it on or off. and with the velcro flap it was easy to remove. I found several benifits from this method. tape flutter gone, battery was secure, battery stayed warmer so never had a camera shut down in freefall, the mike was protected from the windblast and still worked normally. i had to replace the first mike due to being destroyed by the wind. camera life prolonged due to no moisture (near clouds) or dust entering. use a clear filter on your lens for same. protect the zoom button from being switched accidentally from the cover.

caution.. cameras are a definate distraction. just a video camera was workload enough but then add a still then the odds greatly increase as well, people have been so caught up in using them they have been injured or killed by forgetting other major things.( like forgetting your rig!!!) I would get completly ready for the jump before even picking up my cameras. and i would not change my routine. it had to be right it was my income for some time. think it thru, aviate first, narrate/film later. maybe SkyHog can also add a few tips he flew camera for several years as well. (the avitar i am currently using is a snapshot from vid8, about 2/3rds thru the opening). hope these tips help. they are a hassel to set up right and use but the results are worth it.

ozzie

• 2 weeks later...

that is a great setup. the small camera is great.

i found a great cheap (for me) 7" lcd screen.

it came from a wallmount hand drier. (where you spend 35 seconds drying your hands). a different division of the company i work for. they are also used as digital photo frames.I have been caught out by not getting really good framed footage from not being able to see what the camera is seeing. So i should be able to overcome that with this small screen. the camera just plugs straight in via the av input, can also be used for a little inflight entertainment with the memory card slots. comes with a remote control.

quick simple non structual bracket and not obstructing the view. wired to 12vdc battery. just need to add some foam to protect the edges and a glare sheild.

Ozzie

DSC00360.JPG.3f856f4515fc551a5a12583aba42c16e.JPG

DSC00359.JPG.b3f0ba192bceb6e8cf4a1fb3346a42ef.JPG