Show us your lightwing

Doug Evans

Guest Maj Millard

image.jpg.cab4484fa5c196d04c43f4514230ccac.jpg O693....currently hangared at Montpelier Airpark west of Townsville....a fine original condition LW with Bluetop 582...

image.jpg.b31c1035c4ab62cfdcc68e2989d52d48.jpg

image.jpg.b8313c079941b9136ca44bbc4e9d413a.jpg

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, finally found a decent photo;[ATTACH=full]30999[/ATTACH]

A group of us in Sydney bought -33 (as we called it) from Wagga, it was still powered by a 532 and fairly 'stock'.

I flew it back to the Oaks with a stop at Goulburn, and was surprised by how fast it was, I then noticed the ASI was in MPH...

33 flew for the rest of that summer, but during winter, we needed to build a shelter for it and then decided to do some work on it, instrument upgrades etc.

About that time, I was moving up to Taree and swapped my share for an aircraft trailer.

I think it still flies now and then?

The other number we were looking for was the follow on from 25-0080, which would be 20-0081;

[ATTACH=full]31001[/ATTACH]

This is 'Ol -81',

circa 1987 at the Oaks.

This is the ultralight I got my certificate in and then instructed in for nearly 20 years.

This machine has had a great history, had nearly 4000 hours on it when I left Sydney, has been rebuilt at least four times (twice by me), and I've lost track of how many engines have been through it.

'81 started life as a square back LW-1 with a pull start 532, no doors and sling seats;

[ATTACH=full]31000[/ATTACH]

After one of the total rebuilds, I added a new colour scheme, which caused much discussion within the club.

After the last rebuild, it was painted all-over yellow again before being sold and replaced by a Foxbat;

[ATTACH=full]31002[/ATTACH]

81 now resides somewhere near Bathurst.

Another Lightwing history, but a bit sadder.

After moving to Taree, I started instructing again using a local Gazelle, but I always wanted to get a Lightwing.

After chasing up a couple of really neglected examples I eventually bought Lee Ungerman's from Cowra;

[ATTACH=full]31003[/ATTACH]

Unfortunately, within three months, fate dealt a bad hand and -437 was damaged while training;

[ATTACH=full]31004[/ATTACH]

This was bad timing as I had just taken on restoration work on another aircraft (a Petrel) and it was to take me nearly twelve months before I realised it was going to be a waste of time, (this was just as the CASA/RAAs fiasco exploded).

[ATTACH=full]31005[/ATTACH]

I then went back to my Lightwing and proceeded to rebuild it, only to find that, just as I had finished all the structural work, CASA/RAAs had moved the goal posts again and there was some doubt as to what MTOW I was going to be allowed, and I started wondering if it was worth finishing the repairs as a 'Lightwing', or as a modified 19 'Superwing'?

It would be nice to have it back for training use as taildraggers are becoming increasingly rare, and I had gotten one of those 'update' pilot notes from Howie saying I could fly my GR912 at 600kg, but if it has to go back to 450kg or even 480kg to be legal, one has to wonder if it's worth doing..?

Sob story over, lets see more Lightwings.......

That was an interesting post Arthur.

I remember them all at The Oaks, along with your Stolite. Do you still have it?

Rgds

Planey

If you have not already check out my chat with Howard Hughes which mentions the mighty lightwing!

[MEDIA=audio]http://traffic.libsyn.com/goflying/Go_Flying_Australia_Podcast_004.mp3[/MEDIA]

http://www.goflying.net/go-flying-australia-podcast-004-australian-lightwing-aircraft-designer-builder-howard-hughes.html

• Like 3

That was an interesting post Arthur.I remember them all at The Oaks, along with your Stolite. Do you still have it?

Rgds

Planey

Many things have happened since moving to Taree.

I still have the Stollite, which was powered by a 582, when I left.

Once here I flew it for a while but one day accidentally blew it up (got too hot during a decent while trying to sort out an airspace clearance problem)

I re-engined it with a worn out 912 I got from Howie, still had plenty of power, and flew it like that until I decided I needed that engine for another project.

Removed the 912 and am in the middle of installing a BMW R-100, but have been sidetracked by even more other projects..

I'll get back to it one day, but I also have to finish rebuilding my Lightwing (GR-912)

BMWR100.jpg.ecd17d57b677abb8d51f34f6e5502207.jpg

• Like 4

Hey, is that green Lightwing on floats registered 25-428? I purchased a new lightwing back in 1991 to start our flight school here in S.A. with the same rego and it had identical colour scheme.ran it for around 800 hours and sold it to one of our students. He later traded it in for a new Lightwing 912.

Giday Ron

To my knowledge 428 was written off in the Whitsunday area don't know much about her but if u have her history post it up I be interested in her past ?

Many things have happened since moving to Taree.I still have the Stollite, which was powered by a 582, when I left.

Once here I flew it for a while but one day accidentally blew it up (got too hot during a decent while trying to sort out an airspace clearance problem)

I re-engined it with a worn out 912 I got from Howie, still had plenty of power, and flew it like that until I decided I needed that engine for another project.

Removed the 912 and am in the middle of installing a BMW R-100, but have been sidetracked by even more other projects..

I'll get back to it one day, but I also have to finish rebuilding my Lightwing (GR-912)

[ATTACH=full]34242[/ATTACH]

Good to know it's still around, you'd be the envy of many with a nice hangar and plenty of toys to play with.

• Like 1

Guest Maj Millard

image.jpg.401cc8a0e0c3a99929bd33d75a4e72fd.jpg Spotted tied down at Ingham Airport today ( arrived Sat I was told) GA 912 Lightwing recently advertised for sale on EBay ...has flat tailwheel if owner reads this...not sure if its being ferried or what.

image.jpg.f57583cd3a9322114da5be0a16007c68.jpg

• 6 months later...
Looks like they still have a fair bit of work ahead of them, but should be well worth all the effort.All these rest'os should make Howie feel proud of what he's provided us with.

'Cause, what he would really like would be if we kept buying new ones......

• 5 months later...
G'day Doug my Lw is advertised on the raa members market site and if anyone is interested and wants more info or photos give me a call or pm me.Regards Clayt[ATTACH=full]34329[/ATTACH]

SOLD. It was a bit hard to watch my LW fly over the horizon this morning ,it's heading to Bairnsdale on the south coast of Victoria.

• Helpful 1

Good but sad for you you will miss her

Yes Doug, missing it already but it's going to a good home and will get to fly her again and mate your new tires look awesome ,let us know how they go.

• Agree 1

Yes Doug, missing it already but it's going to a good home and will get to fly her again and mate your new tires look awesome ,let us know how they go.

So what are u going to replace her with ?

• 2 months later...

GR 912 25 698 after being taken 385657071_LightwingMay2016.jpg.c9a0b124f99c4a18fb142792ae12286d.jpg back to bones is starting to go back together with fabric being applied today. Plenty still to go but a fabulous experience to be part of.

327842273_LightwingMay16.jpg.0e6dbe3df1f3a2d3a4f0166dfd30ad48.jpg

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

WP_20160621_12_57_31_Pro.jpg.0540cad980dc72017789c1f8b4b88c5e.jpg

Lightwing GR 912 25 698 - Instruments being installed, the guys are doing a very thorough and tidy job. A classic Aussie machine and I can't wait to have a fly. I've been doing the preparation for paint and boy you get to know every wart. Paint then engine .... stay tuned!

We were sent this picture found on the internet of the aircraft when she was younger and had clothes on !

452068399_25698lightwing.jpg.11a6c963f1ec551733593ab897906537.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

WP_20160802_11_45_39_Pro.jpg.8a83ac7ff500766192316f24f15e2a0f.jpg

Bruce and Trevor electrical testing all new kit.

WP_20160809_13_40_23_Pro.jpg.4971b3be0feea14e6e13b9aaacbe4722.jpg

Lightwing GR 912 25-698 update from the Silver City. Today - wings are close to being ready and are very shiny, electrics tested only some minor issues with the uhf, sanding and tidying up completed almost ready for engine and paint. Getting closer ! I just love aeroplanes !

Looking good!

When all the hard work is done and she takes to the air once again, it will all seem worthwhile, and the cussing and swearing when things weren't as you wanted at the time, will be forgotten. Good luck guy's.

• Like 1