RAAus - Still a debacle

Stearman

The debacle continues!

Calling the office this week to enquire about the status of an aircraft rego renewal I am told they are running with a turnaround time of 5 weeks. This apparently is due to the auditing of all files.

How can we still be suffering such delays more than 18 months since all the problems came to light? They say they are re-doing the audit, so did the CASA appointed person not get our files right?

Getting this news in the same week we hear of another resignation from the management team it is hard to be optimistic about the future of RAAus. 013_thumb_down.gif.ec9b015e1f55d2c21de270e93cbe940b.gif013_thumb_down.gif.4863ae72427800e7c2610d25be9b56cd.gif013_thumb_down.gif.ec9b015e1f55d2c21de270e93cbe940b.gif

• Agree 1
  • Winner 1

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Maj Millard

Stearman, Our very capable tech manager has got the average turnaround down to less than a month, and is planning to get it down to less than 14 days ultimately. He recently processed a NEW aircraft design rego in 11 days over the Easter period !...which is very impressive. 11 days...unheard of in the past !.

We have no control over when CASA decide to come in and perform an audit on rego files. They can only give 24 hrs notice. This no doubt is why yours has taken five weeks instead of less than four. Additionally Darren and his team are well advanced on putting all aircraft files onto electronic media...a move well overdue to maintain efficiency for the members........Maj....

Stearman, Our very capable tech manager has got the average turnaround down to less than a month, and is planning to get it down to less than 14 days ultimately. He recently processed a NEW aircraft design rego in 11 days over the Easter period !...which is very impressive. 11 days...unheard of in the past !.We have no control over when CASA decide to come in and perform an audit on rego files. They can only give 24 hrs notice. This no doubt is why yours has taken five weeks instead of less than four. Additionally Darren and his team are well advanced on putting all aircraft files onto electronic media...a move well overdue to maintain efficiency for the members........Maj....

Maj, it was the tech staff who said they are running at 5 weeks. I don't doubt Darren is working hard to better this, but if they are running at a 5 week turnaround the renewal paperwork should be sent out 6 weeks before expiry not 4 as seems to the case at the moment. With less notice than the lead time every aircraft will spend some time grounded.

I know of one case where a single aircraft school is now unable to operate due to rego delays. This particular aircraft was only first registered 1 year ago ( ie after the problems came to light and the auditing began ) so delays due auditing were not expected. The office was made aware a week before expiry of the circumstances of the school but it made no difference, rego expired and now a dozen students will miss flying this weekend. It is not a good thing to have to explain to these new members of our organisation why they are suffering this disruption to their training.

• Agree 2

Stearman, Our very capable tech manager has got the average turnaround down to less than a month, and is planning to get it down to less than 14 days ultimately. He recently processed a NEW aircraft design rego in 11 days over the Easter period !...which is very impressive. 11 days...unheard of in the past !.We have no control over when CASA decide to come in and perform an audit on rego files. They can only give 24 hrs notice. This no doubt is why yours has taken five weeks instead of less than four. Additionally Darren and his team are well advanced on putting all aircraft files onto electronic media...a move well overdue to maintain efficiency for the members........Maj....

Good Eh! Maj

I am of the oppinion that all was being correctly entered for 18 months. Looking like it was done incorrectly at the time, hence "Being done again".

Most aircraft are on the second renewal. That was all done under CASA's watchful eye I think their eyes were closed for those few.

Regards

Keith Page.

Maj, it was the tech staff who said they are running at 5 weeks. I don't doubt Darren is working hard to better this, but if they are running at a 5 week turnaround the renewal paperwork should be sent out 6 weeks before expiry not 4 as seems to the case at the moment. With less notice than the lead time every aircraft will spend some time grounded.I know of one case where a single aircraft school is now unable to operate due to rego delays. This particular aircraft was only first registered 1 year ago ( ie after the problems came to light and the auditing began ) so delays due auditing were not expected. The office was made aware a week before expiry of the circumstances of the school but it made no difference, rego expired and now a dozen students will miss flying this weekend. It is not a good thing to have to explain to these new members of our organisation why they are suffering this disruption to their training.

Stearman,

Your comments are confusing, I do however feel your pain. Can you please send me an email with more detail and I will discuss your case when in Canberra early next week and call you back. Also the details of the school as they have priority as per a previous resolution I put up.

I look forward to getting more info and resolving this issue. Email [email protected]

Regards,

Jim Tatlock.

RAAus Treasurer

• Like 6
  • Winner 3

Guest Maj Millard
Good Eh! MajI am of the oppinion that all was being correctly entered for 18 months. Looking like it was done incorrectly at the time, hence "Being done again".

Most aircraft are on the second renewal. That was all done under CASA's watchful eye I think their eyes were closed for those few.

Regards

Keith Page.

Darren has stated that he is doing a second round 'clean up' as some members still have not responded to letters of request for info sent out twelve months ago. Get you info in as requested and there should be no further delay........Maj....

some members still have not responded to letters of request for info sent out twelve months ago. .......Maj....

So did those aircraft get their regos renewed? If so what was the point of all the hold ups last year for those of us that do supply all the required info if regos were renewed for some that did not?

Guest Maj Millard
So did those aircraft get their regos renewed? If so what was the point of all the hold ups last year for those of us that do supply all the required info if regos were renewed for some that did not?

Yes regos were renewed with provision to supply info within 12 months. The hold ups last year were probabily the result of the backlog, which has been reduced now...............Maj....

Darren has stated that he is doing a second round 'clean up' as some members still have not responded to letters of request for info sent out twelve months ago. Get you info in as requested and there should be no further delay........Maj....

OK Maj

I am gobbed smacked--to get this straight -- some were asked to get the information last rego renewal, they did not supply the information now they are asked to do it again or are they the ones complaining about their plane that it can not be regestered? That is a simple exercise take the photos/complete the form/tick the box problem solved.

I can remember when I was a bit younger if I was asked to do something and then complained about things which were not correct the wooden spoon was not used for mixing cakes.

Regards

Keith Page

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

OK MajI am gobbed smacked-to get this straight -- some were asked to get the information last rego renewal, they did not supply the information now they are asked to do it again or are they the ones complaining about their plane that it can not be regestered?

Regards

Keith Page

The aircraft being discussed here had the "Database Details for Aircraft" form fully completed when the renewal was submitted, including both changes to incorrect info in contradiction with the info supplied at the time of initial registration last year, and filling in blanks where the info was also provided at initial rego.

Although not requested, photos of all rego markings and correct placarding were also supplied with the renewal in an attempt to prevent delays in case the photos supplied last year had been misplaced.

The aircraft being discussed here had the "Database Details for Aircraft" form fully completed when the renewal was submitted, including both changes to incorrect info in contradiction with the info supplied at the time of initial registration last year, and filling in blanks where the info was also provided at initial rego.Although not requested, photos of all rego markings and correct placarding were also supplied with the renewal in an attempt to prevent delays in case the photos supplied last year had been misplaced.

I'm hearing you, send me an email detailing your aircraft and the school aircraft and ill look into it.

Jim.

Guest Maj Millard
Oh if only there was a choice!!!

Well there is a choice ...go get a PPL, put VH on it and forever pay through the nose for your maintenance....Maj...

I am sitting up here with a half built kit, a sub-current pilots certificate with a handfull of endorsements and my membership due. The biggest temptation is to finish the kit for sale at a huge loss and leave you all to the bullsh1t. I have only been a member for two years and it has never been any better.

• Informative 1

Guest Maj Millard
I am sitting up here with a half built kit, a sub-current pilots certificate with a handfull of endorsements and my membership due. The biggest temptation is to finish the kit for sale at a huge loss and leave you all to the bullsh1t. I have only been a member for two years and it has never been any better.

Well I would recommend you get your plane finished and flying soon...whenever I get sick of the bull shxx I go for a nice fly.....woof!.... BS gone !.........014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

Yes.. The LightWing is just a joy. Just near here there is short sorta valley thing call it hills either side it is so peaceful flying through that valley and the long skinny hills either side can not get stuck in it open both ends and plenty of safe landing spots on the ground, go out through that go somewhere and return through it and get a beatiful three pointer to finish it all off.

Well Maj that gets rid of all the bad experiences. Smile and that is what life is all about.

Regards

Keith Page

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I am also disappointed with the 4 week turn around on registration, I have been planning on going to Raglan flyin since I saw the add months ago. I received my registration renewal about a month ago and noticed it ran out on the 22/5, Raglan is on the 23 24 25/5, So I faxed my registration renewal back with payment the day after I received it thinking it would be back before the 23/5.

I waited for 3 weeks and no rego, a week out from Raglan I rang Ra-Aus and was told there was a 4 week delay and there was 60 other rego's in front of mine, so I asked if it would possible be back before the 23 and was told probably not, so I'am not a happy chappie.

SAJ

• Like 1

T

I am also disappointed with the 4 week turn around on registration, I have been planning on going to Raglan flyin since I saw the add months ago. I received my registration renewal about a month ago and noticed it ran out on the 22/5, Raglan is on the 23 24 25/5, So I faxed my registration renewal back with payment the day after I received it thinking it would be back before the 23/5.I waited for 3 weeks and no rego, a week out from Raglan I rang Ra-Aus and was told there was a 4 week delay and there was 60 other rego's in front of mine, so I asked if it would possible be back before the 23 and was told probably not, so I'am not a happy chappie.

SAJ

That would give ya chitz.

There are two board members here see if they can help?

Regards

Keith Page.

Last year I received my renewal that had info missing on it, so I forwarded everything that was missing and waited, and waited, and waited. I even included "27 8 x 10 colored glossy photographs, with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one was............"(For those who are old enough to remember the words to Alice's Restaurant) Eventually it came through.

Guess what ??? I received this years rego renewal, and all the stuff that was missing last year from it is still missing this year.

Moving forward ??????? I think not !!

Guess what ??? I received this years rego renewal, and all the stuff that was missing last year from it is still missing this year.

The aircraft I have been refering to has now been registered, however on the paperwork accompanying the new reo it did not have the number of hours & landings updated although some other details have been updated.

However I consider the following of much greater concern.

On the cover letter that comes with the renewal papers for our rego the 5th paragraph reads......( bold & itallics added by me )

"Due to the nature of aviation and in order to enhance your safety, AUSAR ( Australian Search and Rescue ) have 'read only' access to our database to assist in their duties if one of our aircraft is reported overdue. Ensuring your aircraft details are up to date is of great importance. Of particular note is the colour of the aircraft and if the aircraft is fitted with an ELT ( Emergancy Locator Transmitter ) or BRS ( Ballistic Recovery System ) which is of concern to accident investigators and other emergency personnel first on the scene of an accident."

Despite telling us how important this info is, even though a description and photos were provided with the initial registration, the colour description part of our "Databse Details for Aircraft" was left blank. If this aircraft had become the subject of a search outside of RAAus office hours, AUSAR could potentially not know the colour the aircraft they were searching for.

• Like 1

And just for good measure, I just received in the mail the rego card and in a seperate envelope an "Overdue Notice" dated the same day as the rego was processed.

What a waste of time & resources!!!

And my new rego runs out 51 weeks after it was issued. 51 weeks rego for the price of 52, now that's a good deal!?!?