Rotax 503 replacement?

flyerme

Watch vibration. VW for single seat. You can go through the sites and make your choice. How long have you got to do all this? If the 503 has done the job buy all the older ones and build a good motor out of the lot. Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Any interest in an aero-converted 3cyl, 4 str, 988cc Suzuki G10, liquid-cooled, 65hp driving a Brolga prop thru an "E' gearbox? All up weight = 77kg wet w/prop & elec start. Twice the thrust of a 582 at half the burn rate. PM if you want more info. cheers Riley

• Like 1

Hey

Watch vibration. VW for single seat. You can go through the sites and make your choice. How long have you got to do all this? If the 503 has done the job buy all the older ones and build a good motor out of the lot. Nev

nev. I have this year to get her to scratch( still yet to pick it up!lol. Finishing a custom built trailer) before the big centenary next year.. It has an older 503 single carb but has dual mags!its done 350 but apparently rebuilt 50 hr ago ( this worries me)

As there's no info on whome rebuilt it? If it was rebuilt? Or how many times? I don't trust it and as I'm a typical mechanic and being my own eng I'm too mechanically lazy to pull her down myself (unless I really have too)lol. Would perfor a 4 banger for the sound but lookin like I'll be chancing a later untouched 503 and then rebuild...here's hoping

Wow thanks dad!! Me ol man just messaged "son there's heaps of low hr rotax 503 around!! For about 5 k and they all come with free plane! Just look on the aircraft sale sites ans buy a whole plane for the eng and then you have a plane to mount back up on your pole"

Thanks dad sounds like the go. Now why didn't I think of that?

• Agree 1

Yeh been researching them! Not happy with reviews .. What about BMW. Or vw or moto Guzzi how would they go weight wise? I do like them vdubs!

BMW weighs a ton, the boxer shakes a bit more than the 582, so a bit more more than a 503. Veedubs are not light, and the twin conversions need a redrive to match the bottom-end performance of the 503.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

• 2 months later...