Woodcomp ceiling fan

Did the hangar designer authorise the fitting of that prop or is it an owner built 19 Reg experimental hangar??Phil

Thankfully I am the hangar designer so I approved it myself. Wish it was always that easy !

• Like 1

That's a super cool fan Nuzza!

Just a word of caution though, the blades appear to have a lot of pitch. An acquaintance of mine in Darwin thought he'd make a ceiling fan blow more air so he twisted the metal fan blades to give them more pitch. It resulted in the fan running slower than it should and as a result it overheated and caused an electrical fire ...

I'm not an electrician but it has something to do with the AC frequency and the number of 'poles' of the motor determining the speed of the fan. I think ceiling fans should run at 1440rpm on the fast setting with no load so with the blades on providing a load and a bit of 'phase slip' it should be around 1400rpm I think. Much slower than that and the heat builds up. As I said I'm not an electrician and have probably used the wrong terms but it might be wise to check, it'd be a mongrel to burn your plane down.

Also - on second look, did you intend for the fan to blow air upwards rather than downwards? Or is that the winter setting?

• Like 1

That's a super cool fan Nuzza!Just a word of caution though, the blades appear to have a lot of pitch. An acquaintance of mine in Darwin thought he'd make a ceiling fan blow more air so he twisted the metal fan blades to give them more pitch. It resulted in the fan running slower than it should and as a result it overheated and caused an electrical fire ...

I'm not an electrician but it has something to do with the AC frequency and the number of 'poles' of the motor determining the speed of the fan. I think ceiling fans should run at 1440rpm on the fast setting with no load so with the blades on providing a load and a bit of 'phase slip' it should be around 1400rpm I think. Much slower than that and the heat builds up. As I said I'm not an electrician and have probably used the wrong terms but it might be wise to check, it'd be a mongrel to burn your plane down.

Also - on second look, did you intend for the fan to blow air upwards rather than downwards? Or is that the winter setting?

It's really only for looks, although it does run and the blade pitch can not be reversed so yes it is on winter setting.

• Like 3

Does it even have the correct rotation for the fan motor?

The prop is set at its full fine pitch and cannot be reversed. The ceiling fan motor is reversible, summer/winter setting.