OPERATIONAL FREQUENCY REQUIREMENTS - RAAus

Admin

Might be a stupid question but been years since I did any RA stuff. How many AC have to COM's?

Ben

Most of the modern stuff that I have seen have the capability to monitor 2 freqs on the one radio - although sometimes this needs to be explained.

• Like 1

CAAP 166-1(3) - Operations in the vicinity of non-controlled aerodromes August 2014

CASA wishes to advise that CAAP 166-1(3): Operations in the vicinity of non-controlled aerodromes has been revised and published. Please refer to the 'Status of this CAAP' to see these changes.

A full list of Civil Aviation Advisory Publications can be found on the CASA website:

http://www.casa.gov.au/caap

Section 7.3 and 7.4 refers to our discussions above.

7. Radio broadcasts

7.1 Regulation 166C of CAR requires a pilot to make a broadcast whenever it is reasonably necessary to do so to avoid a collision, or the risk of a collision, with another aircraft. A broadcast must include:

 the name of the aerodrome.

 the aircraft’s type and call sign.

 the position of the aircraft and the pilot’s intentions.

7.2 Standard phraseology

7.2.1 Effective radio communication requires the pilot to use standard aviation phraseology as detailed in the CASA Flight Radiotelephone Operator Licence Syllabus of Training and in the AIP. Positional and other broadcasts necessary to minimise traffic conflict should be made, for example: ‘joining circuit’, ‘turning base’ and ‘clear of all runways’. Effective communication and increased traffic awareness will help prevent a collision or an Airprox event. In addition, avoid the use of local terminology in position reports, for example use ‘Bundaberg’ instead of ‘Bundy’.

7.2.2 Pilot broadcasts should be brief and clear. Pilots are advised to think about their message before transmitting.

7.3 Positional broadcasts

7.3.1 When departing or arriving at non-controlled aerodromes, pilots should monitor their radios and broadcast their intentions in accordance with the following and paragraph 7.3.4:

 When at or near a non-controlled aerodrome or in a Broadcast Area with a CTAF, including those assigned Multicom 126.7, listen and broadcast as necessary on the published frequency.

 When at or in the vicinity of non-controlled aerodromes marked on charts that have not been assigned a discrete frequency, use Multicom 126.7.

 When operating at aerodromes not depicted on aeronautical charts, pilots should monitor and broadcast their intentions on the relevant Area VHF.

Note 1: The intent is to ensure broadcasts are made on a frequency that other aircraft in the vicinity will be monitoring. A broadcast made only on Multicom 126.7 at an aerodrome whose existence is only known through local knowledge is misguided, as transiting aircraft relying on aeronautical charts for aerodrome location information will be monitoring area frequency.

Note 2: Nonetheless, pilots should study all authorised aeronautical charts relevant to their flight route and category, in accordance with CAR 233 (1)(h). This is because some details may be omitted from charts of different scales even though they cover the same area (usually to avoid clutter).4

4 Chart errors and omissions should be notified to Airservices Australia at: https://www.airservicesaustralia.com/aip/ ccard/default.asp?

CAAP 166-1(3): Operations in the vicinity of non-controlled aerodromes 22

August 2014

7.3.2 Pilots and operators who regularly experience radio traffic congestion at particular aerodromes, whether on the CTAF or Area VHF, should contact the local Regional Airspace Users Advisory Committee (RAPAC) representative to take forward a request to change or assign a discrete CTAF to help improve safety. Details of the local RAPAC can be found on the CASA website.

7.3.3 When operating a VHF radio-equipped aircraft in the vicinity of a non-controlled aerodrome, pilots must make a broadcast whenever it is reasonably necessary to avoid a collision, or the risk of a collision, with another aircraft (as required by subregulation 166C (2) of CAR).

7.3.4 Table 2 sets out the recommended broadcasts, but pilots may use discretion in determining the number and type of broadcasts they make. For example, when operating from a private or remote airstrip, a single broadcast declaring an intention to take-off and track in particular direction may be all that is required where there is no response to the initial transmission.

Table 2 – Recommended positional broadcasts in the vicinity of a non-controlled aerodrome

Item Circumstance (non-controlled aerodromes) Pilot’s radio broadcasts 1 The pilot intends to take-off Immediately before, or during, taxiing 2 The pilot intends to enter a runway Immediately before entering a runway 3 The pilot is inbound 10 NM, or further, from the aerodrome, commensurate with aircraft performance and pilot workload, with an estimated time of arrival for the aerodrome 4 The pilot is ready to join the circuit Immediately before joining the circuit 5 The pilot intends to carry out a straight-in approach On final approach at not less than 3 NM from the threshold 6 The pilot intends to fly through the vicinity of, but not land at, a non-controlled aerodrome When the aircraft enters the vicinity of the aerodrome

Note: Some distances above refer to the runway threshold and others to the aerodrome reference point. Pilots should be aware that a global positioning system (GPS) indication of 3 NM from an aerodrome may not be 3 NM from the runway threshold.

7.3.5 In addition to making positional broadcasts, pilots should listen to other broadcasts to increase situational awareness. This ‘alerted see-and-avoid’ strategy results in an eight-fold increase in the likelihood of seeing another aircraft.

7.3.6 Whenever pilots determine that there is a potential for traffic conflict, they should make radio broadcasts as necessary to avoid the risk of a collision or an Airprox event. Pilots should not be hesitant to call and clarify another aircraft’s position and intentions if there is any uncertainty.

7.3.7 It is essential that pilots maintain a diligent lookout because other traffic may not be able to communicate by radio (e.g. the other pilot may be tuned to the wrong frequency, selected the wrong radio, have a microphone failure, or have the volume turned down).

CAAP 166-1(3): Operations in the vicinity of non-controlled aerodromes 23

August 2014

7.3.8 The standard broadcast format for low and medium performance aircraft is:

 Location Traffic (e.g. ‘Parkes Traffic’).

 Aircraft Type (e.g. ‘Cessna 172’).

 Call sign (e.g. ‘Zulu Foxtrot Romeo’).

 Flight rules if IFR.

 Position/Intentions (e.g. ‘One-zero miles north inbound, on descent through four-thousand-two-hundred, estimating the circuit at three-six’)

 Location (e.g. Parkes).

7.4 Radio call signs

7.4.1 Pilots should be aware that a variety of radio call signs are in use:

 Passenger transport (e.g. ‘Q-link 2719’).

 Recreational (e.g. ‘Jabiru 5234’).

 Military (e.g. ‘Stallion 22’).

 Law enforcement (e.g. ‘Polair 5’).

 Foreign-registered (e.g. ‘November 1-5 Yankee’).

 VH-ZFR (e.g. ‘Zulu Foxtrot Romeo’).

7.4.2 For Broadcast Areas, the horizontal and vertical boundaries are defined in AIP-MAP. The vertical boundary of a Broadcast Area can be one of the following:

 surface to 5,000 ft above mean sea level.

 surface to the base of controlled airspace if 8,500 ft or less.

 surface to a designated level.

7.4.3 There is usually more than one aerodrome within a Broadcast Area, and pilots operating within the area must maintain a listening watch on the designated CTAF as depicted in AIP-MAP. Pilots should make sufficient broadcasts, as recommended in Table 2, when they are entering, or flying in the vicinity of an aerodrome in, the Broadcast Area to reduce the risk of a collision or an Airprox event.

7.5 General radio procedure guidance

7.5.1 Pilots should be careful not to ‘clip’ the transmission when broadcasting their location, as confusion can arise at aerodromes that are close together and sharing the same CTAF. Calls should be made as clearly and concisely as possible. Pilots should speak at a normal pace, as rapid speech can make transmissions difficult to understand. Broadcast Areas

7.5.2 Ideally, pilots should make circuit broadcasts prior to making a turn because banking aircraft are easier to see. A simple strategy to remember when flying in the circuit is ‘Look, Talk and Turn’.

CAAP 166-1(3): Operations in the vicinity of non-controlled aerodromes 24

August 2014

7.5.3 Where an Aerodrome Frequency Response Unit (AFRU) is in operation, be careful not to momentarily break transmission as the AFRU will automatically over-transmit any subsequent broadcast.

7.5.4 At aerodromes with an Aerodrome Frequency Response Unit, pilots will receive confirmation that they are broadcasting on the relevant CTAF. This will be either the name of the aerodrome and the word “CTAF” or, if any aircraft transmissions have been received by the AFRU within the last five minutes, a low volume 300 millisecond tone burst. This helps pilots to both confirm they are using the right frequency and makes them aware of potential traffic in the area (See ERSA Aerodrome Frequency Response Unit).

Note: Pilots need to take extra care to monitor and broadcast on the correct CTAF, as there continues to be reported incidents in which a pilot claims to have made the appropriate broadcasts but have not been heard by other aircraft.

It is essential that, once contact with another aircraft is established, pilots ensure that they and the other aircraft adhere to mutually-agreed flight paths to maintain separation.

Note: There have been a number of incidents in which pilots in the vicinity of a non-controlled aerodrome have heard and acknowledged other aircraft in the vicinity, but have subsequently lost situational awareness with the other aircraft by inadvertently giving a wrong position or diverging from their declared flight path.

7.5.5 Pilots must continually look out for other aircraft, even when their broadcasts have generated no response.

Note: By far the most common Airprox reports are incidents in which the reporting pilot has not been aware of the presence of another aircraft in the vicinity. Never assume that the absence of radio transmissions at a non-controlled aerodrome equates to an absence of any traffic.

7.5.6 Subregulation 166C (1) of CAR requires that a broadcast be made to avoid the risk of collision if the aircraft is carrying a serviceable VHF radio and the pilot-in-command holds a radiotelephone qualification. Pilots who intentionally avoid broadcasting – for whatever reason – must keep in mind that such action may increase the risk of a collision, with the potential for serious consequences.

Note: There have been a number of incidences of ostensible radio unserviceability where subsequent analysis of the aircraft’s radio systems found no fault with the equipment.

• Informative 1
  • Caution 1

Thanks frank. That was obviously meant to be two. Stupid ipad. So I've always monitored area while broadcasting on multi. One of our AC only had single comm and that would be on multi all day on a mail run, anyone broadcasting on area I would have had no idea about but doing 10-15 sectors and broadcasting on area seems annoying to me but I've never read that caap.

ALL Area frequencies are monitored by an Air Traffic Controller.

Inside CTA the ATC controls the aircraft.

OCTA the ATC is responsible for providing flight information such as amended weather or notams, etc.

Under the procedures promulgated in Notam C119/14 you are entitled, indeed required, to broadcast on the appropriate Area frequency.

One could ask what is the appropriate frequency to use at "Fred's Farm" airstrip which is not marked on the charts but in within 10nm of a CTAF aerodrome requiring broadcasts?

I would (do) use the CTAF but there could well be others who interpret the notam literally and be on the Area frequency.

Personally I think the Notamed procedure is not the right way to go and has opened another big can of worms. 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif

DWF 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

Clearly this is another case of 'work expanding to fill the available time' in the nations' capital. One would have thought there are more important problems in aviation, but........... here we go again.

PS - Loved the CASA 'looks' when we asked about the new fangled Restricted Pilot Licence! (haven't we heard of that before?) Seems a rather sensitive subject.

happy days,

I guess the way to see of the (CAAP 166) system works is for everyone to make appropriate broadcasts on the Area frequency whenever the circumstances permit/require.

DWF 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

Shags,

I was sure I heard it, but if it is not usual to have access, then maybe as I monitor both freqs it was on approach freq and I misread it as coming from 126.7? I certainly wouldn't argue, it is quite possible two receive lights were on and I only observed one of them.

• Helpful 1

Shags,I was sure I heard it, but if it is not usual to have access, then maybe as I monitor both freqs it was on approach freq and I misread it as coming from 126.7? I certainly wouldn't argue, it is quite possible two receive lights were on and I only observed one of them.

Wasn't this at YBTL? That's military controllers and a complete different system to ASA, so maybe they have access to monitor and transmit on 126.7. Or maybe they were just using a handheld radio.

Had a radio lock onto a non recognised channel enroute to Alice. One of the accompioning planes contacted the controller,he said that he could tune into ANY frequency, which he did and diverted me to slot into the circuit.

Getting out is another story.

Phil

• Helpful 1

Had a radio lock onto a non recognised channel enroute to Alice. One of the accompioning planes contacted the controller,he said that he could tune into ANY frequency, which he did and diverted me to slot into the circuit.Getting out is another story.

Phil

A slot into the circuit? I wonder if maybe you were talking with a controller in the tower, in which case he might have dialed up the emergency handheld radio that most towers have.

If you make an inbound call to unmarked strip on the Area Frequency around here you are likely to get rapped over the knuckles. Area is for the big boys in and out of Tullamarine and for other IFR traffic.

I would have thought you would make your call on Melbourne Rad 135.7 without any problems...he loves growling at allegedly errant VFR pilots.

Not sure there are many unmarked around you, but lots of marked ones with discrete frequencies .

Kaz

• 2 months later...

Today I gave an inbound and downwind call on the local area frequently 118.6 at the unmarked strip Berrigan NSW and the Airservices controller informed me I was on area frequency, to which I replied that I was operating on on unmarked airstrip, I did not catch his reply fully but I understood he was not happy with the calls on area frequency. Berrigan is 13 Nm from Tocumwal CTAF airport and is used for Ag work and satellite opps unmarked on all Airservices maps

• Agree 1

We don't mind you doing these calls as they are required. The atc let's you know it's on area as we regularly get aircraft forget to change to ctaf and they thank us. Don't read anything into this.

You may get an atc get angry but you are right to do this. It does get annoying when a call breaks through and you're trying to coord something but we will survive.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 2