Thinking to buy Headset, need opinion

Julien007

Hi there,

Im starting my flight training soon at uni in a C172 , Need some help for purchasing a Headset

Been looking at Sennheiser's most and lightspeed

Was thinking maybe Sennheiser S1 passive /Sennheiser hmec 250 or lightspeed Sierra , obviously my budget is below 600$ and priority nose cancellation :P

Would like some personal reviews if possible

cheers guys

Gday mate, i'll tell you what I have.. I have no experiance with sennheiser or lightspeed, but I have a quiet Technologies Halo, and its great. Comfortable, quiet, and you can wear whatever glasses or hat you want with no problems. Only downside that I can see is that its slightly fiddly to put on.

https://www.quiettechnologies.com/

my main headset is a bog standard david clarke. 13.4. I have worn this for extended pewriods with no problems. A lot cheaper than ANR and just as good. Put the money you save into flying lessons, or get one from Ian at the clear prop shop and use more money for lessons. If you want to spend the money on all the bells and whistles later, then ok. Throw your money into learning to fly first then buy the expensive bits later. Just my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

I bought my DC 13.4 in 1998 and it is still going great. Great headset

The Recreational Flying 250 headset is a direct copy and slightly improved version of the DC 13.4 at only $130 but having just ordered another 100 more the price will have to increase when they arrive. Heck, they are now even charging me an extra $5 to have the metal parts coated in a protective coating which was one of our own specs not normally found in low priced units but we wanted them to last

• Like 3

I decided to look up the specs and details for the Rec Flying 25o Headset. It is:

An incredible headset copied from the famous David Clark H10-13.1, at a fraction of the price, and then improved even further with Soft Silicone Gel filled ear cups, increased noise reduction, Gold Plated Headphone and Microphone plugs and comfortable headband for everyday use...so comfortable that even charter pilots use them.

Our OWN branded headset that we have had made to our own specs and stand behind 100%...at a fraction of the price of others

Full 1 year straight swap warranty

• Stereo/mono/volume control on right earcup

• Soft silicone gel filled ear cups

• Gold plated Headphone and Microphone plugs

• Switch selectable full stereo or mono operation

• Non-reflective metal frame with adjustable stirrups

• Soft earseals that feel great and maintain a high noise reduction rating

• Flexible mic boom for easy positioning

• Extra thick ventilated cushion head pad

• Weighing only 17 oz

• Excellent noise reduction rating of 26dB

• Clear frequency response of 20-17,000 Hz distortion free through entire range

It sounds like excellent value for money.

• Agree 1

I just purchased the New Lightspeed PFX and it is an improvement over the Zulu. Much Quieter, audio louder and clearer and now the TX audio on a bluetooth phone call is very good, they actually didn't believe i was flying!

The new control box is BIG compared to the old one but the headset is lighter on your head as all the electronics are now in the control box.

Happy i upgraded!

• Informative 3

If you going to go through CPL spend the money up front and get the best you can (I use lightspeed but have used bose, pretty much a commodore/falcon difference). You wouldn't believe how much of difference they make up the front of a c210, they are bloody loud!

• Informative 1

• 4 weeks later...
The Recreational Flying 250 headset is a direct copy and slightly improved version of the DC 13.4 at only $130 but having just ordered another 100 more the price will have to increase when they arrive. Heck, they are now even charging me an extra $5 to have the metal parts coated in a protective coating which was one of our own specs not normally found in low priced units but we wanted them to last

I decided to look up the specs and details for the Rec Flying 25o Headset. It is:An incredible headset copied from the famous David Clark H10-13.1, at a fraction of the price, and then improved even further with Soft Silicone Gel filled ear cups, increased noise reduction, Gold Plated Headphone and Microphone plugs and comfortable headband for everyday use...so comfortable that even charter pilots use them.

Our OWN branded headset that we have had made to our own specs and stand behind 100%...at a fraction of the price of others

Full 1 year straight swap warranty

• Stereo/mono/volume control on right earcup

• Soft silicone gel filled ear cups

• Gold plated Headphone and Microphone plugs

• Switch selectable full stereo or mono operation

• Non-reflective metal frame with adjustable stirrups

• Soft earseals that feel great and maintain a high noise reduction rating

• Flexible mic boom for easy positioning

• Extra thick ventilated cushion head pad

• Weighing only 17 oz

• Excellent noise reduction rating of 26dB

• Clear frequency response of 20-17,000 Hz distortion free through entire range

It sounds like excellent value for money.

I have just purchased a pair of these from the Clear Prop shop. These headphones look absolutely lovely gleam.gif.61a3085bab2441797a6de7bfc35070cb.gif and they feel comfortable (definitely a lot more comfortable than the flight school-supplied DC headphones).

Now, I will have to get to an aircraft and try out how they sound 056_headset.gif.8e2503279a37389023f4d903d46b667a.gif: maybe in a month or so when I am not so busy.

• Like 1