Rotax Mandatory Service Bulletin - Re Carb Floats

DrZoos

All affected motors have serial 4 XXX XXX, must all be certified, my 912ULS is serial 6 781 3XX, so might not be a problem to many of us.

I know of it happening to a 914 fitted to a Gyro so seems to be a problem on all series!

From ULS 6 780 228 onwards. Just missed out with my 6 779 XXX thankfully, but got caught up in the "suspect" crank debacle.........

Rotax seem to be having ongoing quality control problems. Sounds like bean counters chasing the cheapest bidder/supplier.......

141590726_912uls.JPG.ecbef375529b057fcdb9d1994282e2d8.JPG

See:http://legacy.rotaxowner.com/si_tb_info/serviceb/sb-912-065ul.pdf

Rotax seem to issue the service bulletin in a separate document for the UL engines.

Thanks Aro, that is the one I needed, wouldn't have wanted to start my new motor without complying with the mandatory SB. I wonder how many hours I could have flown it no condition?

Guest Maj Millard
"and or fuel leakage". Could that have been the problem for old mate in powered glider?

Robes.....had a long chat with pilot the other night....scary stuff, he said he side-slipped down as long as he could until the heat got to his legs. Also said everything around him got burnt including the headsets he was wearing !....but not him. He was at 4500 on limb to 7500.... Luckily he was not there yet....from speaking with him I don't think the floats were the cause....this was a fairly old 80 HP A model 912.......GFA are investigating for cause.

Guest Maj Millard
What expertise does GFA have with engines? 074_stirrer.gif.5dad7b21c959cf11ea13e4267b2e9bc0.gif

Good question, however like most investigating teams I would expect they would seek whatever assistance the may require.

It doesn't appear that this was battery related in any way, which certainly was an initial concern.

It is always very important however that a ground run and fuel/oil leak check be carried out prior to cowling up after any. Work has been done on those systems.

Robes.....had a long chat with pilot the other night....scary stuff, he said he side-slipped down as long as he could until the heat got to his legs. Also said everything around him got burnt including the headsets he was wearing !....but not him. He was at 4500 on limb to 7500.... Luckily he was not there yet....from speaking with him I don't think the floats were the cause....this was a fairly old 80 HP A model 912.......GFA are investigating for cause.

Sounds terrifying

Like they say, 'the only time you have too much fuel is when you are on fire.'

.........It is always very important however that a ground run and fuel/oil leak check be carried out prior to cowling up after any. Work has been done on those systems.

That is and should always be a standard procedure.