Passed my RPL

Did it in a g1000 cockpit and had no idea that I would have to do instrument flight. Realised I have no idea how to do a rate one turn in the glass cockpit because all my IF hours were in steam gauge cockpits.

Obviously didn't go to badly though, because I passed.

Start my PPL navs after easter because I am on call now. Will give me some time to knock out the PPL theory exam I guess.

• Like 5

Congratulations on passing your RPL test. What was the aircraft and where do you fly ?

Flying a 172SP out of YRED. Redcliffe Aero Club to be specific.

Flying a 172SP out of YRED. Redcliffe Aero Club to be specific.

out of interest - were you asked to fly with reference to any navaid,(particularly GPS) in the aircraft, either as an aid to your normal VFR flying, or, while you were IF under-the-hood? And, well done to achieve it all on glass instead of analog. happy days,

out of interest - were you asked to fly with reference to any navaid,(particularly GPS) in the aircraft, either as an aid to your normal VFR flying, or, while you were IF under-the-hood? And, well done to achieve it all on glass instead of analog. happy days,

Just under the hood. The whole idea being at RPL/PPL level you have enough IF skill for you to perform a 180 out of cloud should you inadvertently end up in that situation.

I am intending on doing an IFR rating at some point though. Giving some serious thought to actually doing my CPL as well.

The whole idea being at RPL/PPL level you have enough IF skill for you to perform a 180 out of cloud should you inadvertently end up in that situation.

Only if you practise regularly and realistically - in any event, stay VFR at all times! Good luck with your CPL. happy days,

• Agree 1

Well Done Mate!!Just out of interest how many hours does it take to convert from RA-Aus - RPL?

Cam

The actual "convert" only required some paperwork for CASA, however to do the flight review and cover off the endorsements I wanted took about 5 hours flying time (2hrs was for Instrument Flight). It will vary depending on your flying experience, the requirements of the flight school doing your review and choice of aircraft. I went from flying Jabiru's under RA-AUS to doing my flight review in c172.

Thanks for the info! I have heard varying reports from people about the 'syllabus' for the RPL conversion ranging from 5 hours to 15 hours and was just trying to work out what people were actually doing :-)

It's basically just a flight review, so it takes as long as it takes to be up to the flight schools standard. 5-15 hours sounds like a good range, although I'd be concerned if it was at the higher end.

Well Done Mate!!Just out of interest how many hours does it take to convert from RA-Aus - RPL?

Cam

I never did the RA-Aus thing. Long story, but I knew nothing about RA-Aus.

The whole journey started because

a) I am a motorcycle rider and I had massive trail bike crash which resulted in a broken leg/knee. As a result of the injury I could not ride trail, nor could I pursue my other sport which is sailing. I was also a runner, and with a broken leg and knee that sport was over for good. I am fairly active so I needed another challenge.

b) I am a long time aviation nut. I am not a plane spotter, but I have spent many hours at YBBN, YCAB, YRED etc watching aircraft. Also have a morbid fascination with the SR-71.

c) I am scared of flying, and need to get over it.

I was bored one day, post op and not walking real well when I took a drive to YRED. Decided to walk in an ask about learning to fly, walked out with a booking for a Trial Flight. I was nervous as hell, but once in the air and using the controls I realised I enjoyed it. It was probably 6 months later before I was fit enough to attempt to start training.

Given the fact that I am older (40), I am scared of flying and halfway through my training I hit a kangaroo on my road bike which resulted in a fractured ankle and gave me another 8 month break (pun intended). It has taken me nearly 50 hours dual and about 15 hours solo. In saying that, I racked up probably 5 hours dual and 10 hours solo in the 2 weeks prior to my flight test but post my instructors recommendation to the CFI to do the flight test. I knew I was ready for the flight test, but I just lacked the confidence. In reality, the hours I have flown would have most people a PPL.

In lieu of my lack of knowledge of RA-Aus, and my new-found knowledge of aviation and aviation training I would not change a thing. I am of the opinion that the training offered by Redcliffe Aero Club is of a very high standard. In saying that, I am convinced that RA-Aus is the lifeblood of recreational aviation and without it I honestly dont think there would be much recreational flying at all. I intend to buy a plane at some point, and there is several LSA in that list ( including sea planes!!!).

So, I suggest analysing what sort of flying you do before upgrading. Dont abandon RA-Aus because we need them to keep rec flying alive (and join AOPA too). I am not a member of RA-Aus, but I fully intend to join up very soon.

Cheers, Andy.

• Like 3