looking for unfinished aircraft frame or kit

Guest Kevmarquand

Guest Kevmarquand
you can get a very nice tornado that will do 100knots on Jabiru 2200[ATTACH=full]34739[/ATTACH]

now were talking do you no if they sell plans?

yeah would be very nice but that out of my budget at the moment 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

Yeah, well that came on the back of you mentioning the building of a 701, how much did you think that was going to cost.

I really think you need to do some homework.

Guest Kevmarquand
Yeah, well that came on the back of you mentioning the building of a 701, how much did you think that was going to cost.I really think you need to do some homework.

the stol kit is around 15000 plus I plan on scratch building

Kev, I'm scratch building a 701 and honestly, if I'd spent some time on this forum first, I'd probably have splashed $15k on a second hand rag'n'tube aircraft or something with a 503 and be actually flying.

The metal alone for the 701 will cost you $5 - 6k, then there's tools, a whole bunch of stuff from the USA like clecoes, rivets, wingtips, strut/gear assemblies, then you have to think about wheels, brakes, controls, engine mount, fuel tanks, instruments, propeller, cowling, paint - and then the big killer - the $7500 - $11000 for a second-hand Rotax 912ULS, or $25,000 for a new one.

I thought the same as you which is why I started scratch building about 5 or 6 years ago. When you add it all up though you can end up spending over $20,000 - $30,000 to get your plane ready for flight. If you have a look at the RA-AUS member's market there are a lot of nice single seaters for a lot less money than that.

If you have your heart set on scratch building, by all means do it, but only do it if you love building more than flying. Just my 2 cents worth!

• Like 1

I've never built a real plane, but from my avatar, you can see I've built RC models. If you've never done that, maybe you should do it first and you'll learn quickly if you will build a real one :).

In building my models, I take too many shortcuts or cover things that should be rebuilt and that's just the easy build stuff. I'm afraid that if I build a real plane I may be tempted to do the same.

Try your hand at a laser cut balsa kit...they're a lot of work but won't take you 5 years (more sometimes) that a real plane will take.

The beauty of the kit is everything more or less fits. Scratch building will triple the time it takes to build the aircraft, 1000hours is the minimum. 1000 hours at 3 hours a day is a full year, but you won't be able to do more than 2-3 days a week which means its 2-3 years by the time its flying.

the worse things about building a plane

1. fibreglass

2. painting

3. fibreglass

oh and when its hot and you drop a tiniest sliver of aluminium onto your thong and it embeds itself in your foot bad_mood.gif.04f799b8c2da677a1c244b54433f2aa7.gif

• Agree 1

the stol kit is around 15000 plus I plan on scratch building

Plus long term build area, build bench, work bench, tools, cabinet, etc, amongst other things you will need along the way just to get the fuse and wings done.

If you're more open and realistic about your true budget and over what time period, people here who can help you better.

This is a good forum with many flyers and experienced builders who would love to see you get into the air.

• Haha 1

Guest Kevmarquand
scratch building isn't as much fun as you think it will be

Kev, I'm scratch building a 701 and honestly, if I'd spent some time on this forum first, I'd probably have splashed $15k on a second hand rag'n'tube aircraft or something with a 503 and be actually flying.The metal alone for the 701 will cost you $5 - 6k, then there's tools, a whole bunch of stuff from the USA like clecoes, rivets, wingtips, strut/gear assemblies, then you have to think about wheels, brakes, controls, engine mount, fuel tanks, instruments, propeller, cowling, paint - and then the big killer - the $7500 - $11000 for a second-hand Rotax 912ULS, or $25,000 for a new one.

I thought the same as you which is why I started scratch building about 5 or 6 years ago. When you add it all up though you can end up spending over $20,000 - $30,000 to get your plane ready for flight. If you have a look at the RA-AUS member's market there are a lot of nice single seaters for a lot less money than that.

If you have your heart set on scratch building, by all means do it, but only do it if you love building more than flying. Just my 2 cents worth!

thanks for the insite marty. im still keen to scratch build im a fitter and turner and have a workshop fll of tools that I can use aswell as being able to get materials for cost price. I have also picked up a rotax 912 80 hp so that is done. I have allot of experience with scratch building as I have designed and built an amphibious 6x6 vehicle using Suzuki sierra engine and drive. at the moment im still deciding what im going to make I may even design my own.

Guest Kevmarquand
I've never built a real plane, but from my avatar, you can see I've built RC models. If you've never done that, maybe you should do it first and you'll learn quickly if you will build a real one :). In building my models, I take too many shortcuts or cover things that should be rebuilt and that's just the easy build stuff. I'm afraid that if I build a real plane I may be tempted to do the same.

Try your hand at a laser cut balsa kit...they're a lot of work but won't take you 5 years (more sometimes) that a real plane will take.

yeah I no what your talking about because model airplanes is what made me want to buld a big one 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

you should have a look into either scratch building or buying a Sonex kit. Not high wing though, but it's strong and fast(ish) and Sonex builders report that they enjoy great support from the Sonex factory and Sonex builders & flyers groups.

If you can get a copy of Sport Pilot Magazine there's plenty to consider in the members market.

Guest Kevmarquand
The beauty of the kit is everything more or less fits. Scratch building will triple the time it takes to build the aircraft, 1000hours is the minimum. 1000 hours at 3 hours a day is a full year, but you won't be able to do more than 2-3 days a week which means its 2-3 years by the time its flying.

yeah im prepaired for that

Guest Kevmarquand
Plus long term build area, build bench, work bench, tools, cabinet, etc, amongst other things you will need along the way just to get the fuse and wings done.If you're more open and realistic about your true budget and over what time period, people here who can help you better.

This is a good forum with many flyers and experienced builders who would love to see you get into the air.

my budget would probly be 25000 I don't really have a time period. and I have acsess to a machine shop because im a fitter and turner .and that is were I will build it

Guest Kevmarquand
you should have a look into either scratch building or buying a Sonex kit. Not high wing though, but it's strong and fast(ish) and Sonex builders report that they enjoy great support from the Sonex factory and Sonex builders & flyers groups.If you can get a copy of Sport Pilot Magazine there's plenty to consider in the members market.

ok ill have a look

my budget would probly be 25000 I don't really have a time period. and I have access to a machine shop because im a fitter and turner .and that is were I will build it

90% of projects that don't get completed within 12 months never do. As Your budget won't cover your current thoughts, take Marty's advice, get a 15K used craft (that actually flies now) and do it up. It will be 25K by the time it's in the air.

Guest Kevmarquand
Kitplanes.com is the first place to start, has a good list of plans available

cheers ill have a look

Guest Kevmarquand
90% of projects that don't get completed within 12 months never do. As Your budget won't cover your current thoughts, take Marty's advice, get a 15K used craft (that actually flies now) and do it up. It will be 25K by the time it's in the air.

their is no satisfaction of buying an airplane. that is why I want to build one from scratch.

their is no satisfaction of buying an airplane. that is why I want to build one from scratch.

Well they are pretty easy if you ignore everyone.

It's a low wing but I would suggest you consider plans from Morgan Aeroworks, all aluminum and the skill set with your profession, tools and the ATV build experience would be ideal. Clever but very simple layout that you can easily modify to suit your own requirements.

Look at the build blogs here ...

http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/morgan-sierra-100.36052/

http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/started-the-couger.20799/