FAA registers my new Aeroprakt A22LS

Guest SrPilot

Guest SrPilot
Would it be possible for you to outline the process you went thru when purchasing the plane via Aeroprakt USA ?How long it took, as everything done the way you requested etc ...

Thanks

Hi "Warmi." I suspect your name has no connection to your "windy" city. 059_whistling.gif.a3aa33bf4e30705b1ad8038eaab5a8f6.gif Sorry, but I just went to dinner. It was 57 degrees F outside and I almost froze. Maybe Chicago is warmer tonight than what we are experiencing in our February cold spell.

099_off_topic.gif.20188a5321221476a2fad1197804b380.gif Sure. I was Aeroprakt.USA's first customer. I had been trying without success to arrange the purchase of an A22LS when a new factory rep came along. It was a game-changer. Dennis is super. He answered many, many questions, flew to our airport and took me for a ride. Showed me the airplane and worked with me through the equipment list. He never pushed and was completely honest in everything he said. I found him objective, frank and straight with his advice. I ended up with what I wanted instead of what was available. But the airplane had to be built. It shipped on time and Dennis picked it up at customs in Savannah, GA, transported it to his place near Memphis, TN, assembled the airplane, flew off the test time, and delivered it to my airport with the FAA paperwork and registration completed. We went for some familiarization flights which went easy because while I was waiting for delivery I had found an A22 available for dual instruction. I flew that airplane before I saw mine.

Everything I ordered was just as I ordered. The only thing I would have changed but just didn't thing of it was placement of the trim indicator. It's on the lower portion of panel on the passenger side. I have the Y-stick, so I cannot see the indicator without leavin over. I plan to relocate in on my next non-flying day off. Dennis has been superb. He does what he says he will do and drops through here each time he goes to Florida. We chat by phone, text and email as needed and he's always ready to help. I've owned a fair number of airplanes and I don't believe anyone has been easier to deal with or more helpful than Dennis. I could not be happier with the dealer and the service, or the airplane.

Aside from the Y-stick, my plane has the MGL EFIS and radio, autopilot, chute, Warp Drive Propeller, 15x6.00x6 tires, etc. I've been flying it for a bit more than a year and have had no problems other than a few needed programming tweaks with the MGL EFIS. I may have been one of the very early customers in this country for the mid-sized iEFIS Lite unit. It came out after I had ordered my plane with the smaller screen but Dennis and Aeroprakt upgraded the order to the larger screen when I asked for it. Eyes, you know. I licensed it E-LSA for what I think is good reasons. That way, I can do a number of things I could not readily do had I licensed it S-LSA. I am not going to use the plane commercially so I get advantages without giving up anything of consequence.

If you have any specific questions, I'll be happy to respond. Just let me know. Meanwhile, I'm getting ready to fly again while hoping that the temperature will rise. I get tired of cold winters. Tomorrow's high will be only 62 but by Friday we expect a more seasonal 70 with lows in the upper 40s, mid-50s by weekend. Thank goodness!! Yesterday I received a Rosen pilot's side sunshade which I will install tomorrow or Friday. Flying westbound in the afternoons is a challenge without something to tackle the sun with. The Rosen will help. I had Rosen shades in my GlaStar.

j

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

099_off_topic.gif.20188a5321221476a2fad1197804b380.gif Sure. I was Aeroprakt.USA's first customer. ...

j

Thanks for that very detailed and very helpful reply... It took me a long time ( 2 months ) but I am back in the business of looking for a plane ( I am a computer software engineer and my company decided to relocate to San Francisco area - went there for a week with my wife , even with almost doubled salary the place was still so crazy expensive ,even compared to Chicago, I decided I would rather find a new job than relocate - so now I got a new shiny job that pays almost just as good as in SF but is still located near Chicago)

Anyway, I am thinking about flying out to Oakland , TN to talk to Denis, have a demo flight etc .... The plane looks really sweet and the only thing that holds be back is the fact that I would like to use it for some cross-country trips with my wife and perhaps holding off for A-32 ( which can cruise at 115 knots but , according to Denis, won't be available until 2018 , if then ) would be more rational but hell, purchasing a plane is not a rational decision in the first place :-)

I am wondering, maybe I should order A22LS with 912is ( Sport) engine with wheel spats etc , as long as it can manage 110 cruise I would be perfectly happy ... Decisions , decisions :-)

Guest SrPilot
so how does the A22LS compare with the B58 Hustler you used to fly?

Never was a B58 pilot. They never would have let me hustle a 58. Sure would have been happy to do so though.

Are you speaking in mph or knots? Personally I have doubts about an A22LS with wheel pants and an injected engine cruising at 110 knots. Maybe someday someone will show me it will. Until then, I await the demonstration. Of course, if you're talking mph, use enough rpm and you can cruise the A22LS at 110-111.

I don't think you will ever see 110 kts cruise in the A22LS.

Big thick and long wing, big rudder and fin and a fairly unaerodynamic fuse just about make it impossible with the Rotax.

I'm nudging 100 kts on a good day at 5500.

Smaller tyres and spats may give me another kt or two but after 90 kts it's all a brick wall.......

You're also hitting the "yellow arc" at 100 kts .......

Perhap

Never was a B58 pilot. They never would have let me hustle a 58. Sure would have been happy to do so though.Are you speaking in mph or knots? Personally I have doubts about an A22LS with wheel pants and an injected engine cruising at 110 knots. Maybe someday someone will show me it will. Until then, I await the demonstration. Of course, if you're talking mph, use enough rpm and you can cruise the A22LS at 110-111.

Perhaps you are referring to the Aeroprakt A32?

I don't think you will ever see 110 kts cruise in the A22LS.Big thick and long wing, big rudder and fin and a fairly unaerodynamic fuse just about make it impossible with the Rotax.

I'm nudging 100 kts on a good day at 5500.

Smaller tyres and spats may give me another kt or two but after 90 kts it's all a brick wall.......

You're also hitting the "yellow arc" at 100 kts .......

Yes, I was actually referring to 110 MPH - if I can get that out of Foxbat 22 than this is not too bad.

Yes, I was actually referring to 110 MPH - if I can get that out of Foxbat 22 than this is not too bad.

110mph/95 kts is definitely do-able, especially with standard tyres/spats and the prop set right.

I tend to cruise a bit higher than most as the thick wings really feels the "pot holes" in any turbulence..... and, when trimmed right will cruise hands-off on the rudder only, which is nice.