hi, I'm Debbie.

Guest debra stewart

Think the problem she has is her strength, so would need the electric one.

Quite possibly, though if you're not tall and don't weigh much, as I don't, then by the time you have used half your weight pressing down to lift the nosewheel off so that it can turn, you don't have sufficient weight on your feet for traction. So in my case it's not lack of strength that's the problem, it's lack of traction.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest debra stewart
It's OK Facto, I'm just an insensitive oaf sometimes. Trouble is I don't get any political correctness training at home, my wife and I are just a normal old-fashioned couple.The last week has produced some good examples of that.

Monday 4:30am, I'm in the toilet, my sweetheart screams in the shower. I imagine she's being stabbed Psycho-style, or has fallen and cut her head or something. It's just a huntsman spider, although a largish one, about the size of your hand. I used to be quite a hunter but don't like killing anything these days. In fact if it was just me all spiders would be welcome in the house, they eat mozzies which I hate - might be something to do with my Malaria and Ross River ... I digress ... I chase the spider around the bathroom and eventually gently contain it with a chinese food container, slip a piece of card under it and take it down the paddock to release it. I go a fair distance because I'm sure it's the same one I re-homed from the pantry the day before.

Tuesday 5:00am, I'm in the shower this time, my sweetheart screams, I come running out naked and dripping - apologies for the imagery - there's a roach exploring the kitchen and darling is standing atop a chair. I see that it's groggy (the roach) so I mention that it must have dined on the roach bait. I'm rewarded with a hateful glare - was I to know she'd actually been brave enough to approach within a metre and empty a full can of insecticide at it? I pick up the offending beast and drop it in the bin, spend five minutes washing the floor, that insecticide is slippery stuff! Gladly it's summer and warm but the same happens in mid winter, then she gets me out of the shower by turning on the hot water in the kitchen and freezing me out of the shower.

Thursday 5:15am I'm about to get dressed, sweetheart screams, it's a brown snake in the downstairs laundry this time.

Later the same day she had a little weep and needs comforting because Fred the python has returned to live in the rafters of the verandah and the possums that live in the roof and the kookaburras and the pied butcher birds, Maggie the magpie and about three hundred lorikeets all have new babies who are so trusting that one of them is sure to get eaten and how's she going to protect them all at once?

So as you see Nev, there's no 'blokey' sort of stuff around here, no time for it in fact, anyway, gotta go she needs the heavy laundry basket carried downstairs ... [ATTACH=full]39604[/ATTACH]

Just finished typing this and was busy extracting tongue from cheek when Debbie's reply popped up. You sound like one of the world's lovely sensible ladies Debbie, there should be more like you. Actually I've been giving a bit of thought to your plane moving problem as being a rather little-ass type I've had the same problems with all the aircraft I've had to handle.

I think the biggest issue is having to lift the tail while also pulling and pushing. A trailer (the type you tow behind a car) is a similar thing. Due to having an easily injured back I can't lift the towbar and manoeuvre the heavy trailer around easily but it's not at all difficult with a large (oversized) jockey wheel that castors easily.

If I was you I'd build ( or have someone build) a cradle on four large castoring wheels, preferably with pneumatic tyres. The idea is that you lift the tailwheel onto the cradle and it is secured there somehow, perhaps it drops into a depression, or maybe it just sits on the top and has a strap over the spring. The castoring wheels would need to be set perhaps 800mm apart for stability. Then you just need a handle hooked onto the castoring cart and you could pull the plane around, uphill, around corners, wherever, without having to lift at the same time. Arranged like that it's also much easier to be able to pull it around and also be able to look in all directions to check you're not going to bang the wings on the hangar door. Having a track/path to follow drawn on the ground helps too.[/QUOT

Guest debra stewart

Thanks guys for all suggestions as to my "getting the plane back into the hangar". I will go through them all, although after nearly 3 years I have pretty much tried everything, but I will try again !

Simple and cheap is all I can do unfortunately.

Thanks for enjoying my post on equality ( or whatever), as my favourite singer ( HOzier) says " I have some very strong opinions on that !!!!!" Ahaaaa !

If we had all the answers what would we do with our spare time? That's why communication is key ! Don't hold back. If you think you should say something, say it. I cannot speak for anyone else but I appreciate a man OR woman who will talk, and at least try to keep the lines of communication open, instead of assuming !

Have a lovely week , Debb

Guest debra stewart
Thanks guys for all suggestions as to my "getting the plane back into the hangar". I will go through them all, although after nearly 3 years I have pretty much tried everything, but I will try again !Simple and cheap is all I can do unfortunately.

Thanks for enjoying my post on equality ( or whatever), as my favourite singer ( HOzier) says " I have some very strong opinions on that !!!!!" Ahaaaa !

If we had all the answers what would we do with our spare time? That's why communication is key ! Don't hold back. If you think you should say something, say it. I cannot speak for anyone else but I appreciate a man OR woman who will talk, and at least try to keep the lines of communication open, instead of assuming !

Have a lovely week , Debb

A small addendum: If any of you guys are confused about what to do or say with women - I love men who have manners and who are kind. You cant go wrong with kindness. I went through my teen years as a hippie ( yes!) and rebelled against a lot, but never manners or kindness.

I still retain those ethics - peace, love, happiness, etc. I love a man who will kill spiders for me, open car doors, help me when I need it, without having to be asked, etc.

If a woman ever challenges you on any of these things, tell her that you will behave in the way you feel is right in your heart and that you were given these wonderful traits by the most influential woman in your life ( even if it is not true) your mother !

Women who buck against these time honoured traditions are too confused to bother about and have equality mixed up with fanatical feminism.

Also, don't ever mistake kindness for weakness. There is nothing more beautiful than a big, strong, (tattooed) man who is kind. Wish I could find one down here !

Now - back to planes !!!!!!!

You don't need to lift the nose-wheel off the ground. The towbar can hook to the powered item with a pin and is easy to steer. Nev

The theory's good Nev, but in practice it doesn't work. I've tried quite a number of them and the 'powered item' just isn't heavy enough unless it's a golf buggy or ride-on mower or similar. Those purpose-made minimalist aircraft tow-carts weigh around 30-40 kg and if you just try and use them to tow their wheels just spin and you go nowhere. Of the two I posted pics of - with the first one you bear down on the handles and that lifts the nose-wheel off the ground, transferring the nose-wheel weight onto the wheels of the tow-cart, and additionally the weight you bear down also transfers onto the tow cart, only then do the wheels of the tow-cart have enough weight on them to gain traction. On a smooth hard surface you can reduce the downward load on the handle and let the nose-wheel onto the ground again, bearing down just a little if and when the wheels spin, to have a portion of the nose-wheel weight assisting tracting.

The second one has a platform and you rest the nosewheel onto it to get the extra weight to provide traction. I tried each of those types on my C172 and the second one didn't work on grass or gravel or a slope, the wheels still just spun except on a level hard surface. The first one actually gets much more benefit from the applied weights because of the leverage provided by lifting the nose-wheel on arms and from the length of the steering handle.

The problem you highlight does indeed exist. I would have been relying on a fairly heavy battery to assist traction Some have used petrol powered small rotary hoes with the chopping up parts removed , but we don't need petrol around in my view. It depends on the floor. If it's tarred or concrete a Gazelle will roll easily. If it's gravel or grass outside with a bit of a slope you have problems. Nev

Guest debra stewart
thanks for the new word Debbie - androgynous - had to look that one up ............... reading between the lines it looks like your welcome and trust it stays that way

Love words, always have. So I'll keep 'em coming if you like. My favourite word is esoteric.

OK, I'm off to do some work in the house ( yuk) as I have some Chrissy visitors tomorrow.

Havent been able to get out to the airfield to see my "Scout" (gazelle) for 2 weeks and it feels like forever.

Scout is gender free. More of a cartoon character really with that cute little face. What a wonderful little plane indeed. I bought it sight unseen as I could not afford the cost to Perth WA. I only had enough to send my instructor over to check it out, purchase it, and fly it back. It has a few war wounds but never lets me down. When I win the lottery I will get it resprayed and give it the make-over it deserves.

Bye for now, Debb

Oh thankyou so much. That would be wonderful. The problem at present is the owners of the airfield are letting their cows onto the strip and surrounds, which they have never done before, and the manure problem is out of control. I am actually going to stop going out for a while as I am sick of having to scrub down the plane after every flight ( 2 hrs) and clean up manure from the front of the hangar so that I can get my plane up to the strip( another 2 hrs). It makes my one hour lesson into a 6 hour disaster.The manure sets like concrete if you don't remove it immediately, it stinks, and is all over the plane when I come back to the hangar. Last week it was all through my brake system and the undercarriage and everywhere else and I could have cried. I thought spats may alleviate the problem a bit, but it might make it worse. Worth a try though. If this keeps up I may have to move on. I don't know if other pilots out there have complained but I would have thought that it was a major safety hazard having cows on a live strip. Oh well, not much I can do. Wait and see if it goes back to the way it was. thanks again for your kind offer. ( how much?)

Greetings Debb

The local Gazelle remains locked up with the owner's not being seen for weeks so couldn't establish if any of the wheel pants I have would suit your needs. Listed below are the dimensions of the 4 sets so perhaps from that you can decide if any are of use to you. Considering that none of them have any mounting hardware, I'd suggest that Marty_d's earlier proposal for simple flaps or a flat alloy tray (ala Foxbat) behind the wheels would be the quickest and most economical resolution to your 'cowsh...' problem?

Set #1 Set #2 Set #3 Set #4

width of wheel well 130mm 140mm 150mm 160mm

dist fm axle to top underside 190mm 160mm 180mm 200mm

Sing out if any of the above is of any use to you. (as an aside - and of no consolation I know, sheep after feeding on SA Capeweed leave a goey pile of blob that is equally uncomplimentary to the belly and underwings of any aircraft that they share the runway with.) cheers

My columns aren't printing correctly but hopefull;y you'll work it out.

Guest debra stewart
Greetings DebbThe local Gazelle remains locked up with the owner's not being seen for weeks so couldn't establish if any of the wheel pants I have would suit your needs. Listed below are the dimensions of the 4 sets so perhaps from that you can decide if any are of use to you. Considering that none of them have any mounting hardware, I'd suggest that Marty_d's earlier proposal for simple flaps or a flat alloy tray (ala Foxbat) behind the wheels would be the quickest and most economical resolution to your 'cowsh...' problem?

Set #1 Set #2 Set #3 Set #4

width of wheel well 130mm 140mm 150mm 160mm

dist fm axle to top underside 190mm 160mm 180mm 200mm

Sing out if any of the above is of any use to you. (as an aside - and of no consolation I know, sheep after feeding on SA Capeweed leave a goey pile of blob that is equally uncomplimentary to the belly and underwings of any aircraft that they share the runway with.) cheers

My columns aren't printing correctly but hopefull;y you'll work it out.

Guest debra stewart

Thankyou so very much Riley. I will take down those dimensions and when I go out on Thursday (weather being Ok) I will measure everything then.

Gee, it would be wonderful if they did fit.

I am a bit snowed under with Christmas approaching so may not get out to the plane for a couple of weeks if Thursday fizzles out, but leave it with me and I'll do it as quick as I possibly can.

Very nice of you to help regardless of the outcome, thanks, Debb

Debbs said, quote: Also, don't ever mistake kindness for weakness. There is nothing more beautiful than a big, strong, (tattooed) man who is kind. Wish I could find one down here !

Kinda rules me out as I'm a clean skin. Can't see the sense in tats and hate them on women.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Bit permanent aren't they? I'm not even tempted if they were free and painless.. I suppose I'm missing out on something out there I don't know about. A big strong tatooed man who is kind....... I'd be scared of what he is kind of ............ But then I'm not a female and doubt at this late stage I need many and will understand any . A few times I rode with some Ullysses people, some sheila's er.... Girls would appear from nowhere wanting a ride.. They are everywhere. every second person is one. Nurses are nice. I see a few of them lately, but they get paid to do that, but all without tatts. If I win Tatts, I will shout everyone a beer. Nev

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Guest debra stewart
Bit permanent aren't they? I'm not even tempted if they were free and painless.. I suppose I'm missing out on something out there I don't know about. A big strong tatooed man who is kind....... I'd be scared of what he is kind of ............ But then I'm not a female and doubt at this late stage I need many and will understand any . A few times I rode with some Ullysses people, some sheila's er.... Girls would appear from nowhere wanting a ride.. They are everywhere. every second person is one. Nurses are nice. I see a few of them lately, but they get paid to do that, but all without tatts. If I win Tatts, I will shout everyone a beer. Nev

Please don't take everything so literally Nev, One or two small tattoos depicting something nice are Ok. I certainly didn't mean tattoos from head to toe . Moderation in all things. I wouldn't have one, but I don't mind an unusual nice one on the right person. No need to be so black and white about life, I don't think Each to their own I guess, Debb

Guest debra stewart
Debbs said, quote: Also, don't ever mistake kindness for weakness. There is nothing more beautiful than a big, strong, (tattooed) man who is kind. Wish I could find one down here !Kinda rules me out as I'm a clean skin. Can't see the sense in tats and hate them on women.

Sorry, should I have said don't take everything so literally, Doug ! I'm getting mixed up here. Anyway, I've said my bit, Debb

Thankyou so very much Riley. I will take down those dimensions and when I go out on Thursday (weather being Ok) I will measure everything then.Gee, it would be wonderful if they did fit.

I am a bit snowed under with Christmas approaching so may not get out to the plane for a couple of weeks if Thursday fizzles out, but leave it with me and I'll do it as quick as I possibly can.

Very nice of you to help regardless of the outcome, thanks, Debb

Take as much time as it takes. Some of the gear has been gathering dust for yonks so there isn't any hurry to get it moving. In the meantime don't let Xmas get you frazzled. cheers

Guest debra stewart
Take as much time as it takes. Some of the gear has been gathering dust for yonks so there isn't any hurry to get it moving. In the meantime don't let Xmas get you frazzled. cheers

Will do!, debb