hi, I'm Debbie.

Guest debra stewart

Guest debra stewart
it may be hot with no wind at ground level but hot days often bring turbulence.

yeah true, but I'm only doing circuits at 1000ft so not too bad there.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So where are all your mates? This a site is largely male dominated.

Gotta keep all the boy's happy here, and you entertained.

Congratulations on the purchase of your Gazelle Debb.

Should be easy to fly and provide soooo much enjoyment for you.

Good on you.

Guest debra stewart
Have fun flying tommorow Debra..

thankyou, it has been almost 5 weeks since my last fly because of really bad wind so I am looking forward to it.

bye for now !

Geez, if you called my wife a chicky-babe she would come through the screen and throttle you, and she's no bra burning femininist or anger management problem. I wouldn't be game to call any woman aircraft pilot I've ever met in those terms. You can say it's only meant as a joke, BUT they do get things like this all the time. I taught her to ride off road bikes 40+ years ago and she also rides bike and outfits many men would do a very ordinary job of if they hadn't had the special experience and still gets situations where it's assumed she wouldn't be able to handle a bike of that type or must've come there on a pillion, with a MAN driving it.

Deb , The Gazelle is a plane that is very simple and straight forward to fly and will handle x winds and conditions that are not smooth better than almost any other U/L out there .Nev

• Agree 2

Guest debra stewart
Geez, if you called my wife a chicky-babe she would come through the screen and throttle you, and she's no bra burning femininist or anger management problem. I wouldn't be game to call any woman aircraft pilot I've ever met in those terms. You can say it's only meant as a joke, BUT they do get things like this all the time. I taught her to ride off road bikes 40+ years ago and she also rides bike and outfits many men would do a very ordinary job of if they hadn't had the special experience and still gets situations where it's assumed she wouldn't be able to handle a bike of that type or must've come there on a pillion, with a MAN driving it.Deb , The Gazelle is a plane that is very simple and straight forward to fly and will handle x winds and conditions that are not smooth better than almost any other U/L out there .Nev

I have no idea what you are talking about with that chicky babe thing. Are you sure you have the right person. I have never used that term in my life and never would.

Also, I know my plane very well after 3 years and passed my L1 Maintenance, with excellent results and can maintain it on my own so I am pretty good in that regard. I fly every week and know my plane inside out.

I know exactly how it handles in wind and have been up in dreadful winds and gales but I CHOOSE not to anymore. I do not enjoy it and I fly for enjoyment. I will fly up to about 30 knot winds, but no worse. That is my choice and nothing to do with the handling of my plane which is flawless in it's handling in every regard. I am blessed to have such a hassle free plane. It is one of a kind that's for sure. I am quite competent in all sorts of weather but as I get older I like to go up in pleasant weather to enjoy the scenery and have fun.

Thanks bye, merry Christmas.

Speaking of the chicky-babe brigade, journalist Jill Stork wrote a great story in the Melbourne Age yesterday, which touched on an aspect that many males may not realise:

http://www.theage.com.au/comment/something-in-me-snapped-the-silent-fury-sparked-by-street-sexual-harassment-20151216-glomep

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Guest debra stewart
I think Debbie is married to her plane 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gifHow did todays flight go?

Or is it this arvo?

you wouldn't believe it but I got out there did all my checks and drove the plane up to the strip. Pottered around for another hour, waiting, waiting, then finally thought, mmm this isn't right, so I gave the owner of the airstrip a quick ring ( my phone was out of power, of course) and asked her to ring my instructor. He had forgotten all about me so I had to find help to get the plane back in, no easy task and then come home, really sad that I missed out. Never mind, These things happen. I am a standing Friday morning lesson though and have been for a year. Wonder what he'll say? ha ha.

Not to worry, Christmas is enough to drive the best of us crazy. Byeeee

Live to fly another day. Much the same thing I suppose. Mice get the cheese here without the trap going off no matter how finely I set it so I guess the first mouse is clever, well trained and experienced, based on the mission being accomplished most times. Nev

Geez, if you called my wife a chicky-babe she would come through the screen and throttle you, and she's no bra burning femininist or anger management problem. I wouldn't be game to call any woman aircraft pilot I've ever met in those terms. You can say it's only meant as a joke, BUT they do get things like this all the time. I taught her to ride off road bikes 40+ years ago and she also rides bike and outfits many men would do a very ordinary job of if they hadn't had the special experience and still gets situations where it's assumed she wouldn't be able to handle a bike of that type or must've come there on a pillion, with a MAN driving it.Deb , The Gazelle is a plane that is very simple and straight forward to fly and will handle x winds and conditions that are not smooth better than almost any other U/L out there .Nev

Geez Nev and Debbie, looks like I've stuffed up big time. My apologies:bash: , I always considered it a flattering term for someone who might possibly be a little younger, and a person with similar interests. No offence intended. Don't even have a dictionary around these days.

• Informative 2

Guest debra stewart
That is a real bummer...Hangar Photo's??

In my avatar picture you will see I'm standing with the plane and my hangar is to the right behind me. That's the turn I have to make to get the plane in, very tight.

Geez , 30 knots down the strip . It would be a short take of run Deb ..... Bob

Can be, yes, Anyway when you live in Tassie you quickly learn to fly in the most atrocious winds. That's why I choose not to do it anymore. We have about 3 months of the year with really bad winds, the rest of the time its not too bad. If you cant fly in wind, Tassie is no place to be that's for sure.

I have never used even one third of our strip which is quite long. So I seem to do very short landings and take-offs even with no wind. Love the gazelle, almost like a helicopter, which were my real passion to begin with, but financially too prohibitive. But I looooove choppers ! I get one ride per year with a friend of mine and I hang out for that one ride.

Better run, work to do, debb

I don't want to attack anyone Planey, really EVER.... and I don't want it to look like a personal attack on yourself, but you were the catalyst for the topic being aired, and more fully discussed and the link by Turbs gives a telling insight into what some girls have to put up with all the time. Quite innocently we can contribute to it..I'm looking at the big picture here. I'd like to see more women pilots feel comfortable here, on the forum. and there aren't enough. I've witnessed some outrageous behaviour (at a Board meeting, but that's unlikely to be repeated) and some uncomfortable behaviour. around the traps at times.

As an instructor (when I was) I treated a female exactly the same as any other student. You might say well doesn't everybody? Well NO. many don't.. I don't set myself up as an expert but I don't think they want "special" treatment. Those who feel flattered by it might be better doing another hobby, because if I need to correct something where some serious criticism is required, I don't want to have a pupil walk away because "everyone else think's I'm OK". Nev

Guest debra stewart
I don't want to attack anyone Planey, really EVER.... and I don't want it to look like a personal attack on yourself, but you were the catalyst for the topic being aired, and more fully discussed and the link by Turbs gives a telling insight into what some girls have to put up with all the time. Quite innocently we can contribute to it..I'm looking at the big picture here. I'd like to see more women pilots feel comfortable here, on the forum. and there aren't enough. I've witnessed some outrageous behaviour (at a Board meeting, but that's unlikely to be repeated) and some uncomfortable behaviour. around the traps at times.As an instructor (when I was) I treated a female exactly the same as any other student. You might say well doesn't everybody? Well NO. many don't.. I don't set myself up as an expert but I don't think they want "special" treatment. Those who feel flattered by it might be better doing another hobby, because if I need to correct something where some serious criticism is required, I don't want to have a pupil walk away because "everyone else think's I'm OK". Nev

Nev, I'm quite lost here and don't know how all this came to be but I'll air my opinion as far as I have read what you just wrote.

As a female I am always treated differently than if I was a man but I have come to accept that. Females ARE different. The ones who thing they aren't, are having themselves on. I love being a female and treasure my femininity. I am not keen on women who dress and behave like men in an effort to be equal. You can retain your uniqueness and womanhood and still try to attain equality. I have ridden motorbikes, ( as you alluded to previously), ridden racehorses and dressage horses, have worked on car engines and have done anything I ever wanted. I never let discrimination deter me, but it is out there. All I want as a female of 60 years standing, is equality and respect. I don't mind a man using good manners to open a car door because I automatically assume he is being kind. I try not to be too much of a cynic where I can. I love the differences in the genders and do not want us all becoming clones of each other. We are made differently and have different ways of using our brains because that is the way God intended. I am not religious but i am not stupid enough to think that this human body and our planet with all its intricacies, was a random act of luck.

I like to think that we have come far enough to treat each other with respect especially when talking about similar interests etc. and that one person does not demean or condescend to another of a different gender, but it does happen. I like men, having grown up in a male dominated family, but women have actually caused a lot of dissension and confusion for men by becoming too fanatical about certain things, therefore changing men in a fundamental way over the last 30 years or so.. My favourite saying is "Moderation in all things" and I swear by it in every situation. Some people take thing to extremes and ruin it for others.

I am on my own and would love to find a kind-hearted person to share whats left of my life, but Tasmania is about 40 years behind the mainland,so it wont happen here as Chauvinism is rife! I would like him to be secure enough in his manhood to feel he does not have to resort to controlling , beating or bluster.

The only thing that will clarify any misunderstandings between the genders is honest and open communication. The book of Roleplay must be chucked out! Don't get me wrong, after looking after a house on my own for 16 years I would love a man to take the mower from me and do his fair share etc. but I don't expect it. The things a man does for me, I would like to think, come from love and respect and knowing that physically I will probably be a lot smaller, thinner and weaker than he.

This discussion could go on for centuries an has done. As long as you are happy and comfortable in your own relationships, that is all that matters really.

Merry Christmas all, love debb

Guest debra stewart

All I want is to make some nice friends who have a similar interest and with whom I can communicate, honestly and openly. The rest of it is all up for debate and I'd rather just read a good book - or--- go flying !

Yay, lets' hear it for flying, ha ha.

Welcome Debra. It has taken a month for me to see this post and you sure have caused a flurry of posts. The gazelle is a nice little plane, one I have only flown once, doing a flight review and put it down at emu park in a simulated engine failure. Havn't tried it in 30k of wind, but the Skyfox was good and it is a taildragger.

Enjoy it.