Taking a break

2tonne

I have not been getting to do enough flying recently. The usual pressures on time that arise from having three kids at primary school, a busy job and a wife who is definitely not into flying, means that I will be taking an extended break. And, I just don't think it is wise to be going flying for an hour or two every couple of months.

I have my certificate, but intend to allow my RA Aus membership to lapse. Presumably, after a few years break, I will be able to rejoin as an RA Aus member and my certificate will still be valid with all endorsements. Then, would it be just a matter of getting back up to speed with an instructor and getting my BFR signed off? Is that correct?

I am trying to figure out if there is any reason why I would want to maintain my RA Aus membership over an extended period when I am not flying.

Thanks OK, that is another option for me to consider. Maybe just have a few hours, closely spaced, with an with an instructor every 6 months or so, and keep the BFR up to date.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

If you want to take a break for a few years, there are several options.

• As Old Koreelah suggested, you could continue with the bare minimum / BFRs while keeping up flying membership.

• You could drop the flying and downgrade your membership to "non-flying" at $100pa, get emails, vote and read the digital magazine.

• Cancel your membership (in writing or by non-payment) then re-join and do a BFR.

The Ops manual sets out the requirements for the Pilot Certificate. Section 2.07 (p.50) of the Ops Manual (available through the Members Portal on the RAA site):- PERIOD OF VALIDITY - Aeroplane Groupings, Endorsements and Ratings attached to a Pilot Certificate remain valid indefinitely. However, the authority to exercise the privileges of a Pilot Certificate is subject to compliance with the requirements detailed in paragraph 3 of this Section, unless suspended, varied or cancelled by the Operations Manager, or surrendered by the holder.

Paragraph 3 is mainly:

(i) medical fitness;

(ii) valid membership of RA-Aus;

(iii) flight review currency; - the BFR

(iv) pilot recency; - for passenger carrying

At this point in time, you are able to re-join, do a BFR and continue flying. I don't see any impediment to pilot membership in the future, or any reason why RAA might rescind the indefinite validity of the Pilot Certificate.

Dropping out leaves you with no access to the Members Portal (Ops & Tech manuals etc) and no flying may mean you get rusty or find other things to do and not return.

You have to do what bests suits you and your circumstances.

• Like 1

Thanks FV, that information is helpful. I am concerned that if I give it away for a few years, I might never come back to flying, and that would be a shame.

The $100 non-flying membership would be good if it came with a paper copy of Sport Pilot, otherwise I can't see I would get much out of it.

The "Non-Flying" used to include the Sport Pilot magazine, voting rights, communications, and now Members Portal access. The Magazine only subscription was $60 (usually taken up by libraries / Aviation bodies), which is now $110 for non members. "Non-Flying" members comprise Pilots not flying for varying reasons (eg long recovery from illness), Student Pilots who didn't complete, People who don't fly but want to support the organisation, and incorporated organisations (eg companies - a company can't hold a Pilot Certificate).

At $100pa when the digital Magazine is free to anyone, has probably made some non-flying members rethink - it only gives you voting rights and a bit of inside information.

If you only did a couple of hours each year you would be like a lot oof GA pilots. I don't know what the average flying hours is for recreational GA pilots, but I do know some that never seem to be in the air. When asked when they last flew, the answer is usually several months ago.

I let my flying lapse for a few years and then came back to it, but it is not the easiest to get going again especially if you come up against an instuctor who just wants to rip you off. That happened to me, but fortunately his employer knew my capabilities and that was one instructor out of a job.

• Caution 1

I have just come back after an 8 year break, all i had to do was rejoin RAAus, do human factors and do BFR however i have to do a couple of lessons just to get checked out in a foxbat because my flying school doesnt have gazelles anymore. But once thats done im all good to go again, same member number same endosements etc.

Dont worry about not wanting to come back because you will miss it. And it really is like riding a bike after about 20 mins i felt as if i had never stopped flying it all came back to me.

• Like 4

Just doing a BFR and not much other flying is not an answer. You need to be current to get anything out of it ( a bit like golf) If you have other people you have contact with and get in the air by any means that helps to keep up the enthusiasm, whether you are doing the actual flying or not. If you stop, it may be the end of flying for you, but that will only be IF you DECIDE. Coming back is not starting from scratch. Everything assessment wise is performance based. You bone up on the rules and go fly with a good instructor and it's unlikely you would do very much more airtime than for a "normal" BFR. if you are prepared for it. I don't think remaining as a non flying member makes much difference. You keep in touch more and you might feel a bit of loyalty. I'm currently NOT a member but I keep in touch with SAAA Chapter 20 membership, and some other aviation/gliding groups and still get stuff from the RAA. I don't feel it's a problem to get back to the RAA or the PPL IF I was motivated to do so . Money IS a problem at the moment and I want to see which direction the" management" go. (CASA and the RAAus) At the moment it's NOT good enough to commit to from my point of view. There are plenty of other things to keep one occupied. Nev

The more I think about it, the more I realise that I don't really want to stop flying, even if just for a few years (better not let the wife read this)

My membership renewal is due next week, so I will pay again and then reconsider next year. If I don't get much flying in over the next 12 months then I will definitely,... well probably, give it away then.

• Like 2