NEW - Jabiru J120

BigPete

Beyond what you "hear"... there are parties that I know of that are in discussions and will finalise soon.

Why pay big dollars for a used Jab. (factory built or otherwise) with unknown complete history - everyone is a salesman when it comes to moving 'unwanted product' - when you can go brand new factory built, with bugs sorted, for $58K?

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Snooky - Well done! Look forward to reading your reports.

Ive also been talking with them for a few weeks; the main limitation is the no-options thing; they wont even allow additional instruments - like AH or whatever - saying it has to do with cost containment and certification. So I'm still undecided..

What experience have you had flying Jabs?

Did you consider any other a/c?

Cheers

Chris

G'day Chris,

I considered many options; was keen on a Sonex (2nd hand as I don't have time to build) at one point. I figured that resale would be better on a factory built. As far as instruments are concerned, I still wonder just how many instruments we all need flying VFR anyway? Maybe to those with more flying experience than I, this may sound silly!

I have a whopping 35 hrs approx clocked up flying Jab's out of Tooradin.

I'll keep you posted, and may even drop into your strip sometime in the new Jab for a cuppa, as you are in a gorgeous part of the country!

Regards,

Glenn

Guest disperse

without reading everyone's post's here ... I'd just like to say that I find the J120 similer to the HQ holden. There's much more to be had. BUT if you just want a plane to be a plane .... and to do what planes do......

I've done thousands of comfortable K's in a HQ ..... and always arrived

Snooky. I also wonder about the extra instruments, especially as we have recently been discussing an accident supposedly caused by in incorrectly set AH. If you don't have it it can't be incorrect, same goes for trim.

Like I have said in a previous post.

"With too many superfluous instruments that you don't really need, you spend too much of your time with your head in the cockpit instead of looking out the window for other aircraft, or even enjoying the view."

David

Fair point folks, but there's plenty of room left on the panel, so anything you may feel lacking may be added later, surely???

Not without an assessment and sign-off by engineer at Jabiru - for which they charge; even for a single instrument being added. Something to do with their certification.

And as for "superfluous instruments", I'm wondering how superfluous an Artificial Horizon is going to be if you accidentally end up in cloud or fog and have to climb through it.. Illegal if VFR, I know, but I'd rather have a chance of survival....which an AH and some basic training on instruments will provide.

Cheers

Chris

I think an AH should be used even when you only fly VFR, i have flown on a number of occasions in VFR conditions, where there has been no visible horizon. mostly on days where it is 8/8 cloud cover, hazy with scattered showers. even with the cloudbase at 3000ft, there was still no discernible horizon.

I think that if you have an AH there will be more of a temptation for you to press on, even if the conditions deteriorate below legal VMC conditions. i.e 1000 ft agl and 5 kilometres visibility.

I live on the direct line between Moorabin and Latrobe Valley and I know that it happens.

David

Just a thought, but why after purchasing a J120 could you change the registration to a 19 experimental ? Or is the there is a RA Aus/CASA ruling that stops it .I know of many early Jabiru owners/builders who built under the 101 28 catagory and then changed over to the 19 experimental.

It would probably depreciate the resale but that could also be debatable.

Cheers Helmut.

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure you can't change to 19 rego if the aircraft is factory built. One of the reasons for buying the J120 is because it's factory built and able to be put on-line.

I'd have to find out more about fitting extra's in LSA, but it's probably just a case of Jabiru putting in writing that an AH can be fitted. Perhaps a Dynon 4 inch might be the most appropriate with remote compass fitted. It would not be in everyone's interests to not allow extras to be fitted.

I was out flying to day near Latrobe Valley and Yarram. At times the horizon was lost due to haze and poor light. I was happy that my horizon was happily installed in the dash along with the backup electric turn coordinator.

The following paragraphs have been copied from the RaAus web pages regarding modifications to LSA aircraft.

David

The manufacturer is also responsible for approving all modifications to production aircraft (not kit built aircraft) even if the modification has been approved by a CAR 35 engineer. The reason for this is that the manufacturer is now responsible for the continuing airworthiness of these aircraft which includes modifications.

CASA authorised persons may issue a special certificate of airworthiness for LSA (production ready-to-fly aircraft) or an experimental certificate for LSA (kit built aircraft or production aircraft that no longer satisfy the LSA standards).

However, if the aircraft is not maintained in accordance with the manufacturer, or the manufacturer can no longer provide the continuing airworthiness, or the aircraft is modified without the manufacturer’s approval, the Special Certificate of Airworthiness will no longer be in force and the owner will need to apply for an Experimental Certificate to operate the aircraft.

An Experimental Certificate for LSA is available for kit built LSA and for aircraft that no longer satisfy the requirements of the Special Certificate of Airworthiness. Before an Experimental Certificate can be issued to a kit built aircraft, the manufacturer should have produced a production aircraft of the same model issued with a Special Certificate of Airworthiness. Unlike the amateur built aircraft, there is no requirement that the owner must build 51% of the aircraft.

The Experimental Certificate also provides an avenue for operating aircraft that no longer comply with the requirements of the Special Certificate of Airworthiness for LSA. There are a number of circumstances where this could arise such as the aircraft has been modified without the manufacturer’s approval or has not been maintained in accordance with the manufacturer’s requirements. Another circumstance may be that the manufacturer has gone out of business and no suitable persons or organisations have taken over the continuing airworthiness functions for the aircraft.

Brent's comment that "One of the reasons for buying the J120 is because it's factory built and able to be put on-line." would be invalidated if it was modified without approval from the manufacturer and lost its LSA status.

David

Hi All,

I must join in on this forum in regards to the comments on lack of instruments on the J120. I learnt on 55-3591 at Renmark before purchasing a 230 kit. I have since purchased a 230D factory built October last year. When I ordered the panel options on the kit plane I really had no idea of what wanted. A trip to the Kimberleys via Burketown, Broome, Alice etc. made me review my instuments on the latest 230 when ordering.

#1... two radios ( mine failed before Alice) Great to listen in on area and ctaf

#2... Transponder as regional aircraft airports were visited.

#3... EFIS for AH as I encouted much smoke and haze in the north.

#4... The 230 for its endurance, (Halls creek to Alice) an example.

#5... 230 again for the luggage area (sleeping bags etc.

The point I am making is that if you are flying local and that is most of what you want the plane for, the 120 with no frills sounds OK to me, on the other hand it would not suit me for the above reasons. Horses for courses I say.

Cheers.

Guest AusDarren

One would think to make the most of the 'D' Model GA would be the only option.

I havent heard any rumours that the Day VFR limitation to RA-Aus of being reviewed.

Regards,

AusDarren

Hi,

Guess its what you want the plane for. I travel mostly longer trips when I can (Finke motor races, William creek Gymkhana) etc and am planning more this year. Alice being a remote area will allow you to enter for fuel, as have many Jabs before me. I surely do not want to enter capital cities airports unless we can someday get an endorsement and then I would think twice, those big jets and wash scare the hell out of me. My "D" model does not have night panel if thats what you mean.

Cheers,

Phil.

I was wondering what weight you might be flying at. It just seemed that it might be a trifle heavy for an Ultralight with all the gear and fuel you would need to carry for the long trips.

David