NEW - Jabiru J120

BigPete

NUMBER 19 is heading home to SA 24th Nov tricked up with the Sensenich prop, transponder VSI cabin heat, Garmin 296 inside outside temp, few more sleeps to go, will check out the Islands whilst in QLD, what better way to do it, i will post my trip details and snaps in this great little rocket, value plus, nothing compares oh yes i will have life jackets, but hey this baby floats beats having ya bum in the drink.

Hi folks

The 120 is a nice fast little plane. Western Downs FS at Chinchilla has access to a 230, 160, 120, and soon another 120. My instructor and were on a navex a couple of weeks ago and we had to pick up a 120 from Miles. It was just as quick as the 230 on the way home. However for bigger blokes it's still a bit pokey. The doors pinch my hips on closing and on a long trip I'm guessing it would become a little uncomfortable.

However, I have just received news that my Skyranger swift with the British ninja mods has arrived in Brisbane from France. Now I have a hull to put my motor and instruments in! keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif

Friarpuk

How long will it take to complete!!!!

Work on my Lightning is slow. Time is the limiting factor. 036_faint.gif.544c913aae3989c0f13fd9d3b82e4e2c.gif

What instruments do you plan to use? I am still tossing which way to go, however, with the AU $ being so poor against the US $, steam gauges may win the day.

Enjoy the project and when finished fly to Horsham

Galpin

Skyranger

I was luck in purchasing my instruments when the dollar was good compared to the US dollar. The only things I haven't got for my plane is a transponder and a AH but will leave spots for them. Still considering putting in a EFIS instead of an AH but manna needs to fall from heaven for that to occur.

Plane is still on the Gold Coast and will pick it up from Tony Holtham, the OZ distributer, when he finishes getting a metal tank built and the exhaust welded up for me. He gets a bloke to do a heap of job making it cheaper (I hope).

But the most imhibitting thing for me at the moment are the calls I am receiving. I have been called to Katanning in WA and until I know what I am doing am hesitant to start building just in case I have to take a half built plane across OZ. It would be safer to transport in its original boxes.

• 2 weeks later...

Well guys, no 19 flew home the other day from Bundaburg, great trip stopped in Chinchilla for a few hours, met John with his J120, great bunch of guys there, very friendly offer of a bed if needed. The J120 performed outstandingly, it left a C172 in the distance from Broken hill to Pt Augusta he was going to Whyalla, i was putting the J120 in the hangar by the time it went overhead, very comfortable to fly handling is sporty and responsive, the controls have great authority at all speeds, very little adverse yaw, great stability in turbulance, i am very happy with this aircraft it delivers all of this great performance even at gross i am nearly 6 ft 90 kg fits me well, seeya time to fly again. :thumb_up:

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The latest RAA magazine (March 2010) shows the J120 in an add on page 28 with new features; electric flaps, cabin heater, range 1000Nm, wet wing (assuming 135lts) for $63K. Am I right in assuming these features are now standard? If so its great to see they have decided to include wing tanks although the usable weight would be less with full tanks.

Seriously thinking of purchasing one but would be interested in a syndicate on the Central Coast north of Sydney.

The advert in the RAA mag is wrong as the listed features is a misprint & belong to the J170 range of Jabiru aircraft .Any chance getting all of that for $ 63000 is wishful thinking.I was excited though for a moment.

It's a shame then because even though I've got one on order, having even an extra 25 litres of fuel would be great for safety margins and also given that avgas bowsers are being pulled out around the place, the extra range would help with trip planning. Probably the only other thing I'd like to see change is the smaller wheels.

Apart from that all indications are they are one of the best flying jabs on offer. It's great to see the beefier, manlier, modernier undercarriage legs finally added.

I think they'd sell them in bucket loads if they changed a few little details, and given that the stimulus money is gone and times are going to be tough over the next few years, any advantage over the competition would be attractive.

Only a few months to wait now... 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

The advert in the RAA mag is wrong as the listed features is a misprint & belong to the J170 range of Jabiru aircraft .Any chance getting all of that for $ 63000 is wishful thinking.I was excited though for a moment.

If that's a misprint then someone's going to get in the 088_censored.gif.2b71e8da9d295ba8f94b998d0f2420b4.gif.False advertising at its best and I would think that if someone responded to the add Jabiru would have to deliver. I wish!006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

It's a shame then because even though I've got one on order, having even an extra 25 litres of fuel would be great for safety margins and also given that avgas bowsers are being pulled out around the place, the extra range would help with trip planning. Probably the only other thing I'd like to see change is the smaller wheels. Apart from that all indications are they are one of the best flying jabs on offer. It's great to see the beefier, manlier, modernier undercarriage legs finally added.

I think they'd sell them in bucket loads if they changed a few little details, and given that the stimulus money is gone and times are going to be tough over the next few years, any advantage over the competition would be attractive.

Only a few months to wait now... 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

Sorry to dissapoint you relfy but those undercarrage legs are out of the same mould now but less laminated layers so their not as strong as 160/170 legs.

Hey Jacmiles, just noticed you fly out of Chinchilla, and the 120, probably the same one I fly! 5317.

I often talk to Stan, and a few others out there, haven't actually met anyone yet though!

Oh righto jacmiles, are the 170 & 160 legs the same as the 230 legs? I noticed that the 230 legs are a bit more plush on landing than the 170 and i put it down to possibly same legs, just more weight in the 230.

Hey Jacmiles, just noticed you fly out of Chinchilla, and the 120, probably the same one I fly! 5317.I often talk to Stan, and a few others out there, haven't actually met anyone yet though!

Hey Tomo, I have my own 120 , 5523 , Im in Miles but hanger it often in Chinchilla.It sits on a strip right on the southern edge of Miles. I see you fly Bretts Plane.

Oh righto jacmiles, are the 170 & 160 legs the same as the 230 legs? I noticed that the 230 legs are a bit more plush on landing than the 170 and i put it down to possibly same legs, just more weight in the 230.

Relfy, im pretty sure your right about being the same legs.

• 6 years later...