Savannah 912iS Sport

Stoj

So first I should apologise for such a late build thread. I've been building a Savannah XL for a little while now.

I figured there were a few build threads going, so I was a bit slack with posting. But I guess the build took a change in direction with the decision to go with the 912iS injected engine. This was due to a bunch of different reasons, cost, safety and cool gadgety stuff. And you've gotta love the fuel burn they can achieve and the extended range (I plan on doing lots of cross country trips)

The engine is also coupled with the Dynon system and autopilot. I come from and electrical and instrumentation background, so all that stuff appeals to me.

Noticed there wasn't much info from people that had installed the injected engine, but also a bit of misinformation and scepticism. So I thought I'd do a thread if anyone is interested with installing the injected 912iS engine and possibly answer queries about it that might help.

Cheers,

Lee

50shades.jpg.e273193c03e2dd3bc152c11a8fe15b88.jpg

• Like 3

So first I should apologise for such a late build thread. I've been building a Savannah XL for a little while now.I figured there were a few build threads going, so I was a bit slack with posting. But I guess the build took a change in direction with the decision to go with the 912iS injected engine. This was due to a bunch of different reasons, cost, safety and cool gadgety stuff. And you've gotta love the fuel burn they can achieve and the extended range (I plan on doing lots of cross country trips)

The engine is also coupled with the Dynon system and autopilot. I come from and electrical and instrumentation background, so all that stuff appeals to me.

Noticed there wasn't much info from people that had installed the injected engine, but also a bit of misinformation and scepticism. So I thought I'd do a thread if anyone is interested with installing the injected 912iS engine and possibly answer queries about it that might help.

Cheers,

Lee

Bring it on, I'm drooling for more photos.

Here you go

Nice Stoj. I wonder if you're the only Savannah owner Down Under who has a fuel injected engine?

I would love a fuel injected Rotax too but they are really pricy so I won't even consider it 052_no_way.gif.ab8ffebe253e71283aa356aade003836.gif.

Nice Stoj. I wonder if you're the only Savannah owner Down Under who has a fuel injected engine?I would love a fuel injected Rotax too but they are really pricy so I won't even consider it 052_no_way.gif.ab8ffebe253e71283aa356aade003836.gif.

I believe there is one other out there, that I know of.

Totally understand the price can put people off. I changed my mind back and forth a dozen times, but couldn't be happier I went with the iS.

However there are a couple modifications to make, and I wondered whether I had bitten off more than I could handle. Nothing too difficult in hindsight, and figuring things out for the first time was all part of the fun.

• Like 1

Did it fit in the supplied ring mount or did you have to come up with a different mount? How much will you need to butcher the cowling?

The iS came on its own ring mount already fitted, which was identical to the supplied one in the kit, except it had 11mm holes that the mounting bolts went through. I had an engineering shop make some sleeves to suit, which cost a carton of beer.

As for the cowlings, a fair bit. Mostly due to the exhaust. Top cowling is straight forward, remove air intake scoop and fibreglass. Bottom cowling required shifting the bottom cutout forward to accomodate the muffler. Also a bit of cutting/widening around the scoop for the radiator, as it sits differently due to the exhaust.

Also made up some stainless radiator hoses, because I was concerned about how close the exhaust pipes would be to rubber hoses

IMG_0966.jpg.f9f471413d1b1e5b0d4f91d6c49539a9.jpg

IMG_0287.jpg.155e9592605fdefd3dfa3755fcc1c638.jpg

Nice looking engine and setup.

Noticed the radiator pipes straight away. Being metal, I'm wondering if they will draw heat into the coolant from the exhaust?

Awsome looking oil cooler there too!!! I spotted the MOCAL sticker. They have some nice stuff on their site.....Do they (the injected rotax) come with an oil thermostat as standard?

Nice looking engine and setup.Noticed the radiator pipes straight away. Being metal, I'm wondering if they will draw heat into the coolant from the exhaust?

Awsome looking oil cooler there too!!! I spotted the MOCAL sticker. They have some nice stuff on their site.....Do they (the injected rotax) come with an oil thermostat as standard?

I couldn't imagine much heat being drawn in. The exhaust pipes sit a little wider than the uls engine. So the pipes sit close just where the coolent inlet/outlet is to the radiator. Plenty of air flow around the rest.

The oil cooler is standard, but doesn't come with a oil thermostat. Although I did consider one as per attached pic. Thought these were a great design, simple and less hoses

IMG_1289.jpg.4f796821579c02710ee6c6b559a71e48.jpg

Any particular reason you decided against an oil thermostat?

I'm not against an oil thermostat, I think I might even end up putting one on there eventually. Keeping the oil at optimum temp can only mean good things for engine life and performance.

I'll see how I go with the silver tape first. Would be good to know people's experiences with oil thermostats.

And yes, you would think for all those dollars they would include it with the engine :)

I did a lot of research into oil thermostats on 912 and most people who put one on found little or no benefit. So I decided not to bother putting one in myself. Then had a guy ask me to install one for him. I told him about my research but he insisted so I installed one for him and yes indeed made little or no difference to warm up time.

Just my $.02 worth

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1
  • Informative 2

Graham up in Ayr has a 912IS flyingI think GuyS has one as well but not sure about that

Where is your Sav Stoj?

Ah yes, thats the one. Bill told me about Grahams.

Sav will be based out of Caboolture. Should be flying in 2 weeks

There is one in a foxbat out at Alpha, haven't heard anything bad about it. If you are having an electronic dash the extra cost is less of a problem. The rotax instruments were $3500 when I looked into it and that would nearly have made a 914 cheaper at that time.

I did a lot of research into oil thermostats on 912 and most people who put one on found little or no benefit. So I decided not to bother putting one in myself. Then had a guy ask me to install one for him. I told him about my research but he insisted so I installed one for him and yes indeed made little or no difference to warm up time.Just my $.02 worth

Yep, I had read the same thing. I'm not so concerned with warm up times, but more with maintaining good temperatures on descent, or higher altitudes in winter for example.

There is one in a foxbat out at Alpha, haven't heard anything bad about it. If you are having an electronic dash the extra cost is less of a problem. The rotax instruments were $3500 when I looked into it and that would nearly have made a 914 cheaper at that time.

Yeah I think if your going with the iS, you would go with the electronic dash. Its pretty much just 2 wires from the ECU to the EMS module, so you get things like voice alerts as soon as you exceed parameters, throttle position indication for easier starts, rich/lean mode, and adaptive gauges for the tachometer with regards to oil temp, fuel computer etc. Pretty handy that the iS comes with all these engine sensors built in too.

Was speaking to Graham earlier this week. He did say he had a few teething problems and yes it does speak to you. He has a nagging fuel pressure alarm that keeps coming up and annoying him. Graham also has a Dynon with his. Could be worth having a chat to him

Was speaking to Graham earlier this week. He did say he had a few teething problems and yes it does speak to you. He has a nagging fuel pressure alarm that keeps coming up and annoying him. Graham also has a Dynon with his. Could be worth having a chat to him

Great I'll keep an eye out and swing by. Yeah I'll be in one of the new ones, 204. I'll have to look into the water thermostat.

I believe Rotax have done a few updates and improvements along the way to the ECU, airbox, fuel filter and a couple other things. They also recommend a 'limited flow bypass' on the fuel system.

So far so good, engine runs perfectly.

Have you been building it at Bill's place?

Yeah been there finishing it off, he's been a tremendous help, especially with working his magic on the cowling