Mungeranie

rhtrudder

I flew into Mungaranie in May, Had to get the leaseholders approval - outback slab = $60 left with Phil for her to pick up

The other strip on the eastern side (to the north of the roadhouse) is unmaintained and unusable

• Informative 1

Just a little update, the aggressive female phone answerer on Mungerannie is not Luke Betts, Indian lawyer wife.

She apparently couldn't run the station properly after Luke was killed, and she left Mungerannie to live in Pt Augusta.

The current Mungerannie manager is the bloke who managed Mungerannie before Luke Betts killed himself, so I guess the disagreeable Mungerannie phone answerer, could be his wife.

Just a little update, the aggressive female phone answerer on Mungerannie is not Luke Betts, Indian lawyer wife.She apparently couldn't run the station properly after Luke was killed, and she left Mungerannie to live in Pt Augusta.

The current Mungerannie manager is the bloke who managed Mungerannie before Luke Betts killed himself, so I guess the disagreeable Mungerannie phone answerer, could be his wife.

Not worth the trouble, so I think we will give it a miss

TP - Any gazetted public road occupies a gazetted road reserve, and this road reserve is separate to any pastoral lease - and controlled and maintained, by either the local Shire Council, or the States Main Roads Dept (or equivalent dept).

Despite the Birdsville Track being called a Track, it is actually a gazetted main road, originally a Stock Route, and it can be closed under adverse travelling circumstances by the local Shire Council, operating in conjunction with Traffic SA.

Station tracks have no public road designation or gazetting, they are maintained only by the station lessee. You are supposed to get station owners consent to travel on ungazetted station tracks.

TP - Any gazetted public road occupies a gazetted road reserve, and this road reserve is separate to any pastoral lease - and controlled and maintained, by either the local Shire Council, or the States Main Roads Dept (or equivalent dept).Despite the Birdsville Track being called a Track, it is actually a gazetted main road, originally a Stock Route, and it can be closed under adverse travelling circumstances by the local Shire Council, operating in conjunction with Traffic SA.

Station tracks have no public road designation or gazetting, they are maintained only by the station lessee. You are supposed to get station owners consent to travel on ungazetted station tracks.

Yes, you're right.

It's what goes on off the track that upsets the owners. The track's not fenced so technically the graded surface is the public area.

I suspect that the airstrip is separate from the track, and therefore a station strip.

When you look at the map I posted, there's very little reason for landing an aircraft there when you have Marree International to drop in on and breath in the silence, Innamincka with silence, the magic of Cooper Creek, a pub, and dingo watching around the tip, and Birdsville. You would need to have the bladder of a pygmy possum to need to stop at Mungeranie.

• Informative 1

Apparently it was spelt Mungeranie back in the 1800's, but somewhere along the way, it was changed to Mungerannie. See the 1887 newspaper ad below.

Mungerannie Station on the Birdsville Track

The Birdsville Track South Australian History

Mungerannie Hotel - History Mungerannie Station

I'm of the understanding that Phil G, mine host of Mungerannie Hotel, had something to do with the Maccas sign. 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif