Silly Pictures involving Aircraft.

It's a pretty daunting task, but the plane was flying low and nearly at the stall and they knew they were going in if they didn't keep the engine going. There's a nacelle and struts to lean against. There have been many sceptics so you are not alone.. The discovery of the glass sorted it out . That was many years later when the replica was being built, if I recall correctly. Nev

There was a thing called the Indian rope trick, which jumpmasters were supposed to perform if a student got hung up somehow under the aircraft on a static line: shimmy down static line, wrap legs round student, saw through static line with knife (would have to be helluva knife), discard knife, reach round student and pull their reserve, fall away and deploy own canopy.

We used to wonder, if it came to it, whether we could do it. But I expect someone somewhere did. Amazing what people can sometimes do when faced with really hard choices........

• Like 1

We had a navy bloke transfer into the squadron - he’d been a chef on the Ark Royal. He had an eye tattooed on each cheek of his arse. Once he had a few drinks in him, his party trick was to stand on a table, drop his daks and invite the whole pub ... “can you see any sxxt in my eye”. Then the fight would start!

It's a pretty daunting task, but the plane was flying low and nearly at the stall and they knew they were going in if they didn't keep the engine going. There's a nacelle and struts to lean against. There have been many sceptics so you are not alone.. The discovery of the glass sorted it out . That was many years later when the replica was being built, if I recall correctly. Nev

Eh?, are you saying someone in an aeroplane flying low and near the stall got out and did an oil change?

edit sorry about the confusion

Edited by Red

Facthunter I'm not suggesting it was NOT done...I'm just trying to imagine how.

Taylor made multiple trips. You tell me the oil tanks had drain plugs. That implies he took a spanner and the case he caught the oil in and, while perched somehow outside the aircraft in flight, removed a plug with the spanner, caught oil in a case, replaced the plug (let's say just finger tight) and conveyed the case back to the cockpit.

In the cockpit, the oil was transferred to a thermos, which was then carried out to the port motor.

I repeat, I'm not suggesting it didn't happen, but as someone who in a younger life hung off a few flying aircraft, I remain astonished.

If it was me, I would have dropped the drain plug for sure.

• Like 1

If it was me, I would have dropped the drain plug for sure.

Me too. I would then discover that the container I was holding was far too small for the amount of oil coming out...and that no other containers were within reach.*

*Based, sadly, on real life experience.........(

I know they spilled a lot of it, from what I recall of the tale.. That aeroplane was a bit of a roughy and should have been overhauled before the trip was done. The right engine failed because the exhaust came off and went into the wooden prop, breaking it so it vibrated too much.. They were flying in ground effect to stay in the air. (over the sea). Nev