LSA Sapphire Information needed

Anthony Hann

Hi all

After 20 yrs away from flying, I am finally getting back into it with my retirement and have just purchased an LSA Sapphire. As it has been a long time since flying one, and new back to flying, I am looking for any manuals or information related to servicing & maitenance, flying the aircraft, or any other information related to the Sapphire that may help me safely get back into it.

Would love to find out if there are any forums dedicated to the Sapphire. And if there is an Association of Sapphire owners in Australia, or elsewhere.

Thanks for any help.

Anthony

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Anthony,

I have Sapphire LSA MkII 25-0150. I have a copy of the Sapphire LSA manual and the LSA MkII manual for 25-xxxx registered Sapphires.  I'll see if they upload here.

If you are not already aware, there are 2 ADs that deal with the trim system under the seat and the top rudder bracket. The info for the rudder bracket was posted here.

https://www.recreationalflying.com/topic/48146-sapphire-out-of-luck/?tab=comments#comment-405828

No forums that I know of and very little info out there since Steve Dumesny stopped building the 19-xxxx versions a few years back.  A search of this site might get you some info.

cheers Alan

Sapphire 25-0150

Sapphire LSA MKII Manual.pdf

Sapphire LSA MTOW 254kg.pdf

25-0150.thumb.jpg.c99275e7460619744a5f6cd8deca16d8.jpg

Sapphire LSA MKII Manual.pdf

Sapphire LSA MTOW 254kg.pdf

• Informative 1

• 1 year later...

Hi Mark,

Just not keen on 2 strokes, except in chain saws, etc - dont even like them in motor bikes - I agree, very racist of me.

So my question stands, was there ever 4 stroke variant/modification (even a private conversion would be of interest)??

Well you could convert any of the sapphire variants to electric if you don’t want two strokes.  
harder with the factory builds but technically easier with the home builds and old 95.10’s

probably easiest with the 95.10 thick wing versions - the old fabric covered wings get me off the ground easily on the 28hp (20kw) and doodle around at 55knts in cruise ... so around 12kw. A 30kw peak motor and enough batteries for an hours flying would weigh no more than the engine/tank/fuel in the plane now. But will cost around €10k as a plug and go full setup including power management and flight screen.  

a 40kw engine and power for an hour in a composite wing sapphire would unfortunately come out around 10kg heavier than the r503 and fuel so not as easy.

On four strokes there was one 95.10 converted to a four stroke many decades ago.  I’ve got the paperwork on that conversion somewhere but if you fancy doing it yourself approach RAAus tech and they might have the paperwork and current owner of that old bird.  

The Sapphire that I saw was powered by a 2 cylinder Continental . It came from a generator set that were once as common as... in Vietnam. This one was found on a tip , I think around Bendigo many years back. It only produced about 30hp and was noisy as the exhaust directed onto the prop. Magneto ignition and 2 spark setup.The old bloke owner was very proud of it and had flown to Natfly , Narromine from central Vic. Gob knows where it be now!

• Agree 1

50 minutes ago, facthunter said:

An extremely "clean " design. Without the draggy and ugly (2 stroke) exhaust system she'd nearly be a good glider. Nev

Yep.  Even the thick wing 95.10s flit around on the smell of an oily rag once up and your approach glide angle is FLAT.  I’m no glider pilot but in any real lift at idle I can go up - I don’t like turning the fan off. 

1 hour ago, Methusala said:

The Sapphire that I saw was powered by a 2 cylinder Continental . It came from a generator set that were once as common as... in Vietnam. This one was found on a tip , I think around Bendigo many years back. It only produced about 30hp and was noisy as the exhaust directed onto the prop. Magneto ignition and 2 spark setup.The old bloke owner was very proud of it and had flown to Natfly , Narromine from central Vic. Gob knows where it be now!

Yep. That’s the one I have the paperwork on.  Never saw it in person but the power was about right as it was the kfm107 that came out.  

• 1 month later...