Carriage of radio required

K5054

Howdy, Can anyone Help me with this question?

my VHF is in shop being repaired. I have an Icom portable that works well connected to my headsets and transmitting through the Aircraft external Antenna. Battery lasts over Six hours.

is it permissible for me to use this set up in the interim while my built in is repaired? I can’t find any Raaus reference. Aircraft is Raaus rego.

yes I will be flying in class D airspace.

my VHF is in shop being repaired. I have an Icom portable that works well connected to my headsets and transmitting through the Aircraft external Antenna. Battery lasts over Six hours.

is it permissible for me to use this set up in the interim while my built in is repaired? I can’t find any Raaus reference. Aircraft is Raaus rego.

I would suggest that it would depend on what sort of aircraft it is. LSA require manufacturers approval for the smallest mods, If you're 19 rego, then it could be an owner modification.

That said, it's only likely anyone would find out if things go pear shaped and the level of risk would need to be assessed.

• Like 1

I would suggest that it would depend on what sort of aircraft it is. LSA require manufacturers approval for the smallest mods, If you're 19 rego, then it could be an owner modification.

That said, it's only likely anyone would find out if things go pear shaped and the level of risk would need to be assessed.

Thanks. Yes I’m 19 rego owner/builder.

Yes. The reference you seek is not administered by RAAus, it is in the AIP. AIP GEN 1.5-3-1.5

An Australian Communications and Media Authority approved and licensed hand-held VHF radio may be used by pilots of:

a. VFR PVT and AWK aeroplanes with a MTOW not exceeding:

(1) in the case of an aeroplane other than a seaplane - 600kg

(2) in the case of a seaplane - 650Kg

b. gliders; and

c. balloons

Additionally, approved hand-held radios may be used by pilots of these aircraft when operating in Class G. Pilots are responsible for ensuring that the equipment is able to be operated without adversely affecting the safety of the aircraft. The location of the antenna must be such that airframe shielding does not prevent two way communication with all aircraft operating on the CTAF. Where the radio is not connected to the aircraft primary power supply, there must be ready access to back-up power.

That is terribly worded as "you can use it" but additionally "you can use it in Class G".

How did you get approval to fly in class D airspace in a “19” registered aircraft?
Solo RPC training (or does the CAsA exemption only apply to FTF aircraft??)? PPL or above in an RAAus aircraft?