RPC to RPL Conversion - Best place around Brisbane?

Not that much to do. Send the form off to CAsA (61-1RTX), pay your 4 bits, and wait. Once that is done, you'll need a GA flight review to 'activate' your RPL. CAsA will issue it on the basis of your RPC, but you can't use it as you won't have done an AFR within the previous 2 years.. 

Hopefully the school at which you did your RPC has GA aircraft available, or you might find whatever school you pick for your flight review wanting to 'train' you in GA aircraft handling. I avoided that by pointing out that yes, I did have the RPC, but it wasn't a bare-bones issue, I had been flying RAAus for many years beforehand and had an RV-9 that I flew but if you don't have that, you might need to bite the bullet and do a few hours in a C150 or something.

• Agree 1

You will most likely need to fill out an Engineering document for GA aircraft that you will be flying/tested on.. 

https://www.casa.gov.au/files/single-engine-piston-aeroplane-endorsement-and-questionnaire 

and most likely your flight test will have these components:

https://www.casa.gov.au/casa-form/form-61-1486-recreational-pilot-licence-aeroplane

However, the best place to ask is flying school.

Cheers

Hi FlyAdventure.

As KRAviator said, its pretty straight forwards.... but nobody here has mentioned the ASIC or the bizarre  english language test  speaking on the telephone with a machine..

Alan

One more thought. If you intend to ultimately fly cross country buthavent yet done nav endorsement, consider doing it before applying for an RPL. Im guessing its much cheaper to do RAA than through CASA system.

Alan

16 minutes ago, NT5224 said:

One more thought. If you intend to ultimately fly cross country buthavent yet done nav endorsement, consider doing it before applying for an RPL. Im guessing its much cheaper to do RAA than through CASA system.

Alan

It is indeed.

But you can also do your RPC, use your RPC to get your RPL and then go do your RPC (RAAus) Nav endorsement and following the addition of your Nav endo to your RPC, then add it to your RPL, it just costs you another $50 or so for CAsA to process the form. Still cheaper than doing it in a GA aircraft though!

You don't have to have all your RPC endorsements you want to get before you apply for your RPL, you can add them over time.

Edited by KRviator
  • Informative 1

@Bosi72 Thanks for the links they will come in handy. 

Thanks to all, i am in the process of finalising my NAVS so should have this sorted by the time I start on the RPL . After that the next steps will be plane shopping. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, FlyAdventure said:

@Bosi72 Thanks for the links they will come in handy. 

Thanks to all, i am in the process of finalising my NAVS so should have this sorted by the time I start on the RPL . After that the next steps will be plane shopping. 

You buying a GA aircraft?  Then you could do your fight review in it.

👍

Alan

22 hours ago, KRviator said:

It is indeed.

But you can also do your RPC, use your RPC to get your RPL and then go do your RPC (RAAus) Nav endorsement and following the addition of your Nav endo to your RPC, then add it to your RPL, it just costs you another $50 or so for CAsA to process the form. Still cheaper than doing it in a GA aircraft though!

You don't have to have all your RPC endorsements you want to get before you apply for your RPL, you can add them over time.

So, say I wanted to finish my RPC + NAV and then convert to RPL, the process would then be the same to add floats and tailwheel later?

Yep.

I had my AUF PC from waaay back when and was working on the Nav component but bad weather kept stepping in. I claimed the credit for the basic RPL and when I finished off the RAAus Nav's, submitted the form (Think it was the same form, 61-1RTX) claiming credit for the Nav and also the Tailwheel endo that RAAus had left off my RPC and I'd never noticed till then. Paid the $50 or so and a week later, viola! An updated RPwith Nav + Tailwheel endorsements turned up in the mail.

Remember you cannot fly VH- on the basis of your newly-issued RPL until you've done a GA flight review though. A GA review (typically) covers the RAAus review, but not the other way around.

EDIT: Just checked CAsA Self-Service, yep, form 61-1RTX to add the additional endorsements and you can lodge it online.

Edited by KRviator
  • Informative 1

RPL without Nav endorsement alows you to fly 25nm between aerodrome and training area.

Not sure if you can get Nav endorsement without radio, English and controlled airpsace endorsements? 

If I may ask approx. how much $ did it cost from lesson 1 to RPL(RPC) with all endorsements? 

Like KRviator said your RPL should carry across X-country, tailwheel and other endorsements. I had not realised that as a holder of an RPL you can go back to RAA add another endorsement flying a plane with numbers then get your CASA RPL updated with it. Can you resubmit that form (61-1RTX) when you already hold a licence? 

Im not doubting, just didnt know.

Alan

31 minutes ago, NT5224 said:

Can you resubmit that form (61-1RTX) when you already hold a licence? 

Yes.

That is precisely what I did. I held the bare RPL, and was tooling about locally in the RV while I waited to get the RPC Nav endo done. I then submitted (I think) a 61-1RE originally and was told by a particularly helpful CLARC rep that it was incorrect (as I wasn't adding an RPL Endo, but porting an RPC one), and to use a 61-1RTX, even though I already held an RPL. Filled that out and uploaded it through CAsA Self-Service and a week later, the new RPL with Nav & TW arrived in the mail.

Wow! Thanks KR. Thats actually a really good response to another thread I started on here about reasons to maintain  a RAA pilot certificate if you fly a VH aircraft. Pretty much all available endorsements will be cheaper with RAA. Even floats....  This could well put financial pressure on GA flight schools. 

Alan

On 13/10/2020 at 10:08 AM, Bosi72 said:

RPL without Nav endorsement alows you to fly 25nm between aerodrome and training area.

Not sure if you can get Nav endorsement without radio, English and controlled airpsace endorsements? 

If I may ask approx. how much $ did it cost from lesson 1 to RPL(RPC) with all endorsements? 

I think you can get the NAV without controlled airspace but you do need the radio endorsement which basically comes with your RAA training. The english test i believe is needed for controlled airspace. 

Cost is all relative as flying is all competency based. I did RPC in 20.5 Hours (i think 20 is min). Navs i have done 2x with instructor 1x solo and now up to the flight test each averages around 3-4 hours but depends on school and location. Each hour is about $230ph (i won't add it up i don't want to know) Can rent for as low as $189ph

endorsements Radio, Pax, NW, HF

With the hours above though i have seen people do it quicker and others do it much slower due to competency.       

But the trick is don't count the total cost like any hobby you do it slowly and fly because you enjoy and don't count the $$$

• Like 1
  • Informative 1