Seeking Propeller Information

skippydiesel

I am checking out LSA level aircraft for sale.

I am particularly interested in those with good cross country performance.

In this process I have come across the Rospeller propeller system, that I have not heard of befor.  All the aircraft, so  fitted have in flight adjustable's.

The Rospeller web site offer 2 & 3 blade system and would appear to focus on Rotax 9 series engines.

It would appear that these props have been around for about 30 years or so, which would suggest  a degree of reliability/good reputation.

Mr Google, dated erly 2000's, has some reference to failures, but nothing since.

I would be grateful for any feed back on the Rospeller propeller systems

4 hours ago, Thruster88 said:

What did they do about the blade retention issue, design appears unchanged?

As I said erly 2000's - anything of note since then ??

If the design is unchanged, may be they had a material/build issue - now hopefully resolved with no further problems ???

59 minutes ago, skippydiesel said:

As I said erly 2000's - anything of note since then ??

If the design is unchanged, may be they had a material/build issue - now hopefully resolved with no further problems ???

Like you I have never heard of rospeller before today. Engine failure is one thing, propeller failure is next level scary shite. I guess the market spoke. Happy to be proven wrong.   

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Thruster88 said:

Like you I have never heard of rospeller before today. Engine failure is one thing, propeller failure is next level scary shite. I guess the market spoke. Happy to be proven wrong.   

I am actually quite intrigued - the are fitted to quite a few European aircraft - so far I have come across 3 for sale & one where the  associated LAIM told me his aircraft is fitted with a 3 blade Rospeller variant, on a Rotax914 (he thinks they are great).

They appear to have quite a robust KISS type pitch variation system utilising the Rotax 9 hollow prop shaft.

They are still in production - have recently come out with a new blade shape.

My guess is that most, if not all propeller manufacturers, have had "issues" at some stage in their history. What matter most is that they have learnt & applied and their products are now reliable.

• Informative 1

Absolutely no experience with that brand and I assume they are working OK nowadays.

Propeller failure scares me more than engine failure. Lose an engine and you know you are flying a glider, but losing part of a prop could really stuff up your day. I am not suggesting that is likely with this brand of prop. Just commenting.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I was looking at buying an aircraft with a Rospeller 2 blade inflight adjustable (damaged).The aircraft was a certified ultralight ie: non LSA and enquiries made with Rospeller concluded that these props are no longer manufactured. If you have one on your aircraft it can still be overhauled/serviced but you would have to freight it and at considerable expense.

I hope this helps.

From my reserch (there is a web site)  Rospeller do not make the propeller blades - they make the hub/IFA/CS system. A similar arrangement to Airmaster Propellers (NZ).

Also, it appears, from the same web site,  they are still selling new units.

Edited by skippydiesel