Looking for a thruster and variants

Tyro Driver

On 26/05/2021 at 1:13 PM, Tyro Driver said:

Looking at getting a thruster, is there an online resource to compare the models? Would ideally like a 582 powered machine. Can a 503 variant be updated to a 582?

Cheers TD

The 582 did not become available until 1989 so many thrusters began with the 503. It is a good engine but no longer produced. Most of these thrusters have been upgraded to the 582. There are two basic variants of two seat thruster, Gemini with aluminium tail and later T300, T500 steel tail models. They all fly and perform much the same. Thrusters are fun and a little challenging to fly but not fast. I have used mine on the farm since 1990 and love it.

7 hours ago, Thruster88 said:

The 582 did not become available until 1989 so many thrusters began with the 503. It is a good engine but no longer produced. Most of these thrusters have been upgraded to the 582. There are two basic variants of two seat thruster, Gemini with aluminium tail and later T300, T500 steel tail models. They all fly and perform much the same. Thrusters are fun and a little challenging to fly but not fast. I have used mine on the farm since 1990 and love it.

What is the tst version and could a 582 fit on all the models? What cruise speed do you normally work on ? Cheers Alex 

The 503 and 582 engine mounts are different - you may find it difficult to find a second hand 582 mount to change a 503 mount out for. 

First step in Australia given the end of the thruster factory is to talk to raaus tech because you will need to use MARAP to change a 503 to a 582 ... 

2 hours ago, Tyro Driver said:

What is the tst version and could a 582 fit on all the models? What cruise speed do you normally work on ? Cheers Alex 

My 1988 thruster  says tst on the pod they changed the names in 1988 to t300 open and t500 enclosed fuselage. Tst two seat trainer.

2 hours ago, kasper said:

The 503 and 582 engine mounts are different - you may find it difficult to find a second hand 582 mount to change a 503 mount out for. 

First step in Australia given the end of the thruster factory is to talk to raaus tech because you will need to use MARAP to change a 503 to a 582 ... 

I did not have to change the engine mount when I switched to the 582. 

20200717_141308.jpg

• Informative 1

10 hours ago, Tyro Driver said:

That’s a neat looking machine!! The enclosed tail an option on all tst aircraft? Or can you retro fit it?

They came from the factory in enclosed (t500) or open (t300). I have flown both types and think the t300 is a better machine all round. Light simple and extra visibility.   

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know of a T85 short wing thruster for sale let me know - happy with basket case upwards in term of condition.

Edited by kasper

• 2 weeks later...