Need a wooden prop? Make on at home!

Jerry_Atrick

OK this probably should me more for a carpentry forum, but a friend (possibly of a few on here, even) sent me a vid and I thought it was quite interesting.. Hand made prop - ornamental only, but I marvel at the skills of some people - even more so those who can hand build working props!

Enjoy..

• Like 4

Thanks Jerry. He sure has wonderful skills.

For a  Jabiru prop, I would like to try a 2 blader, made from stronger timber and using a CNC router for the roughing out. I also reckon that the glued laminations could be more refined to cut down on the removal volume.

Alas, without a kit or plans, this is unlikely to happen. 

• Agree 1

Here's how to make the hub plate. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqas0oyUI5U

Keep in mind that this bloke is simply making something to hang on his wall as a talking point. However, every step he took would be taken by someone making a prop for an aircraft. 

On 03/08/2021 at 8:10 AM, Bruce Tuncks said:

I also reckon that the glued laminations could be more refined to cut down on the removal volume.

Obviously you would trim the width of the boards to suit before gluing them up. The biggest cost would be buying all the clamps needed to ensure good adhesion between boards. I notice that he is using a PVA glue (Titebond), which is OK for his need, but if I was doing it for aircraft use I'd use an aliphatic glue like Sika Techgrip. 

Here's a good, detailed article on DIY props http://acversailles.free.fr/documentation/08~Documentation_Generale_M_Suire/Helice/Construction/Design_and_build_your_own_propeller.pdf

• Like 2

A great decorative propeller! working with solid wood is a little more difficult. We use only epoxy glue. Additionally, we paste over fiberglass and glue the steel protection. A lot depends on the correctness of the design and the hands of the master.

4-лоп лак-.jpg

изображение---.jpg

• Like 3