Mini iPad….

Jack,

I bought a mini last year with the intention of using the ordinary one as a cockpit backup. But I find it a bit too small and awkward with my fat fingers.  
Plus it has overheated 2ce - which the ordinary one has never done - and the battery doesn’t seem to last as long. 
So I’ve gone back to the standard iPad and using the mini as a backup.

• Informative 2

10 hours ago, jackc said:

Hi Jack

I find the mini iPad a satisfactory size.  (Had a Samsung mini and it was good; but lacked all the features that the apple units display so upgraded.)

Also you need the cellular version.

Re a mount I made mine out of aluminium sheet and lined with sticky velvet, held in at top with the black shock cord and it fits with its protective cover on.  Mine is on panel but you could mount elsewhere or on a knee pad.

P1100680.JPG

P1100681.JPG

P1100682.JPG

P1100683.JPG

P1100684.JPG

Hi Jack,

Stefan DRURY did a review in the last week or so  I use the version 5 with cell and been very happy with it... does everything i need it to do (Use it with OzRwy and Garmin Pilot) plus a few other flight apps

I use a Telstra SIM (12 months data use) only use 5 GB  but gives a great coverage at height.

I also use a "active cooling case for an ipad"  as well.... worth it especially in summer runs well by battery

Amazon.com: Active Cooling Mount for iPad Mini : Electronics

Latest release vs Last years model... 

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

I have been using an iPad mini for quite a few years.

Its encased in a heavy duty all weather, shock resistant, casing and mounted in a RAM. I have a dedicated in inflight semi permeant charger for it (the probable cause of the overheating). The pad has let me down twice due to overheating. Both times in winter, full sun on panned and cabin vents closed.

After the first overheating event, I tried improving the iPad passive cooling by:

Punching holes in the back of rubber all weather casing.

Followed by using a hole saw on the RAM bracket.

This was not sufficient as I had another overheating event so:

I designed and installed a mini eyeball vent located behind the RAM mount and directed at the back of the iPad.

Problem solved.

Eye ball vent can just seen.  second hole from bottom, behind RAM mount

IMG_0824.thumb.JPG.aa0ebf4ac4d144e1123ad03518e49bff.JPG

• Informative 1