The difficulty with internet searches

red750

Here is an example or four of why it is difficult getting images, particularly if you are not experienced with the subject you are searching. How come images from a well known aviation database like airliners.net can be so wrongly labelled is a mystery. Is it the website or the search engine?

image.thumb.png.0c7ed137085753024c0edaba0ca605a0.png

Red, Google has the most comprehensive and all-encompassing search engine that has the best algorithms for finding things. If you use any other search engine, you will only find about two-thirds of what is on the internet.

Google has now added an image search feature called "lens". I'm pretty sure it utilises AI to scan images.

https://lens.google/

Edited by onetrack

Thanks, OT. I did find one ES-56 photo on Google, a bit small but at least it's one. The thing is now I'm likely to get ads for gliders. DuckDuckGo doesn't pass on my search details. And every thumbnail specifies the image size in pixels.

• Informative 1

On 25/11/2021 at 9:18 PM, onetrack said:

Red, Google has the most comprehensive and all-encompassing search engine that has the best algorithms for finding things. If you use any other search engine, you will only find about two-thirds of what is on the internet.

Google has now added an image search feature called "lens". I'm pretty sure it utilises AI to scan images.

https://lens.google/

That having been said, Google was the most astute organisation at finding a way of turning searches into money and these days gives priority for producing results paid for by the companies buying advertising. A bit like a newspaper populating its editorial section with ads to the point where ads outnumbers editorial. So when you search google, where 20 years ago if you wanted to find out something very difficult to find in reference books, you'd have it in seconds in a global search, today you might be scrolling through the commercial interests for 20 minutes, or not even find the same thing.

• Agree 1

The key to Google searches is using multiple keywords, variations of the keywords (different names for the same thing), reversing the position of keywords - and scrolling through multiple pages of results. Google will find it eventually, if it's there on the 'net. 

The only thing a Google search won't find, is discussions on forums where the forum webmaster has deemed the forum is not searchable by search engines.

I'm on another forum like that, Google and Bing bots always show up in the "who's online", but they're blocked from searching the forum threads. Not the case with this forum. You only need to search using "recreational flying + keywords", and you'll find what you were looking for, much faster and more effectively than the forum search engine.

The same applies for the likes of Gumtree - searches on Gumtree itself turns up poor results, a Google search with "Gumtree + keywords" and you'll get multiple accurate results.

• Informative 1