Rainbow Coast Flying School - Albany, WA - Now Closed.

poteroo

Gday Fellow Aviators,

With very few, and minor, regrets, I'm ceasing my flight training here in Albany - effective 31/12/21.

There are many reasons:  Difficulties maintaining my CASA medical, and feeling my 81 years are foremost. 

I've held a Class 1 CASA Medical since 1965, and it's become really difficult to justify all the tests that Avmed can apply.  And, to be honest, they may be sending me a message.  You could say that I've had a pretty good innings, and it's time to move on and allow more progression through the industry.  

I have sold my RV9A, (VH-VFE), and you may see it around the continent with a couple of very keen new owners who I have provided with a sound transition training.  I'm keeping my Brumby 610 high wing, (24-8554),  because I'm still able to hold an RPC and DL, and you may see it around inland Oz over the next few years.  Without the need to keep a FS open, my wife & I intend to click up some Brumby time doing the retirement thing.

The retirement tasks include an autobiography covering my dual careers, (agriculutural scientist, (1961 -2009), and commercial pilot/flying instructor (1963-2022)

Intend to stay on this excellent site, (thank you, Ian), and contribute whenever able.

cheers all

Ralph Burnett, aka poteroo - which is incidentally misspelt - should be all o's .

Ralph with his beloved C170 in the 90's - no wrinkles obvious!.JPG

Last meeting of consulting career, Broomehill Group, Sept 2007 (2).jpg

• Like 8
  • Winner 5

Guday Ralph,

I am also an Ag Scientist - just short of 30 years with NSW Ag before in "voluntary" redundancy - such is life.

Recently passed my Class 2 medical what a P--- in the Donkey! Belatedly realised I could just have gone for the Class 2B (or whatever name ) to hold on to my PPL privileges. Cheaper and way less fuss.

Hi Ralph,

I wouldn't be selling a VH letters aircraft as  yet.

Major changes to the GA medicals are going to be introduced as of mid this year, when you will be able to fly privately GA VH letters aircrafts with self-declared medicals. That means if you are fit to drive the car, you are fit to fly.

There are not much differences between flying privately VH letters or RAA numbers aircrafts in terms of getting incapacitated when flying vs. driving a car.  In my opinion the risk of head-on collision is probably higher when driving a car vs. crash land into a house.

Therefore what are the benefits of having rigorous Class 1/2 medical exams for VH letters aircrafts when flying privately?

Flying commercially is a different story.

https://aopa.com.au/self-certification-pilot-medicals-its-time-to-get-it-done/

• Informative 1

you are doing well for your 81 years Poteroo - I'll look forward to your book - please notify us when done

i read Mr Hazeldeans ? book the other day - pilot stories are always a good read and from your posts I'll bet yours will be just as good

2 hours ago, johnm said:

you are doing well for your 81 years Poteroo - I'll look forward to your book - please notify us when done

i read Mr Hazeldeans ? book the other day - pilot stories are always a good read and from your posts I'll bet yours will be just as good

thanks for that.  Did my aggie with Max Hazelton at Cudal in 1971, and that training served me well in the years since. Never met Jim, but later flew several of the aircraft that he ferried out from the USA - Aztecs VH-COO and COB, Comanches BOO, and PAO.

cheers,

Great to share time and experiences with you in both agriculture and aviation Ralph. Kicking clods around paddocks and being made to kick shoes off, to expose thankfully clean socks, for better rudder feedback in a memorable BFR in the C170!!

Can we pre-order a copy of the autobiography please Ralph? It is remarkable for what you have experienced in 81 years in life and still be here to relate it. Your time in WHO, a Victa Airtourer 100 with its sparkling performance, must have been pretty good preparation  for all your ag flying and tootling around the highlands of PNG.

Travel well, and travel safely, and may you continue to rattle a few cages for a good while yet. You still can grow old disgracefully!

PS. Did the impact of parting with the RV hit as hard as saying goodbye to the 170?

PPS: You once intoning "don't you bastards get rid of you cultivators and plows" might ring true this year if we can't round up the Round Up!!