Flyin for fun Parkes April 1-3

Thruster88

https://www.facebook.com/1393913727530526/posts/3091314297790452/

Β 

Anyone going? Mate and I will be there Saturday in Thrusters with our ASIC cards at the readyπŸ˜₯. Looks like all the displays are off the airfield, no public access for potential terrorists πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚.

On 23/03/2022 at 10:27 PM, Markdun said:

Can’t see the rationale of holding an RAA-Aus fly in at a security controlled airfield.

The Website says no prob if no asic!

They have made arrangements for those flying in without ASICS

Security controlled means different things at different places. Maybe they have a security company doing drive bys every now & then. That's why there is no underwing camping this time. There is a designated camping area outside the so called security area which (probably where the RVs were at Airventure 2019) is only notional as there isn't a fence anyway.

Β 

At the last Airventure there was underwing camping & we wandered all over the place. The silly part about it was the showers were outside the security area so we had a good hundred metres or more to walk. Then, on the Sunday night I got a taxi back from town at about 9pm & it was pitch black. I got dropped off at the terminal which was closed & locked up & I walked back past the hangars across the tarmac to my tent & plane.

Β 

I refuse to get an ASIC. It was originally a kneejerk reaction to 911, now it has spawned an entire industry for no benefit to anyone except that industry. I don't fly into many airports that require one but when I do I usually have not been accosted. That includes Coffs & Ballina. I did get asked at Ballina once & what can they do. I was already there but I was told I couldn't go in to the cafe. I just said OK & went in to the cafe anyway.

Edited by kgwilson
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, kgwilson said:

I refuse to get an ASIC. It was originally a kneejerk reaction to 911, now it has spawned an entire industry for no benefit to anyone except that industry.

Perfect! And nobody in authority has the guts to undo this mess.Β 
Β 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Well my attendance at Fly'n for fun has been cancelled, by the weather as I suspected. Today the Clarence river is at major flood height, the runway is under water and the whole aerodrome completely waterlogged and boggy. No water in the hangar this time though. It will probably be another 2 weeks before I will be able to venture out again. This time I put the plane on axle stands, removed the front wheel and put 2 plastic rubbish bags on each wheel right up to the bottom of the fuselage. I have just completed a 100 hourly combined with an annual but won't even be able to test fly for a couple of weeks.

20220329_103013_HDR.jpg

Edited by kgwilson
  • Like 3
  • Informative 2
  • Winner 1

Despite having a starting point in better weather west of the range and having a ready-to-use aeroplane, I can’t go.

For months I’ve been looking forward to this trip and meeting lots of people, but I have too many projects on.

Next Tuesday my camper is booked in for a bleu slip inspection and it’s still a week away from being ready…

Β 

Our whole family is going camping at Easter, so that has to take priority.

• Informative 2

Sorry you guy's can't make it. Start looking forward to Narromine later in the year, always a nice event. Looks like the wind is dropping for us on Saturday, it will still take an hour to fly the 33nm home in the t85 with the forecast wind πŸ˜‚.Β 

• Like 1

I wimped out on taking the thruster single and took the RV. Nice day but a bit quite, about 60 aircraft.Β 

Β Would have been a long flight home in the thruster

20220402_084414.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative 2

5 minutes ago, ClintonB said:
Is much planned for Sunday, I was thinking of getting out and about tommorrow.Β 

I am not sure, left about 2.30 with a fair amount departing. I think it will be an early pack up for the exhibitors sunday morning.

• Informative 1