Should I replace my planes battery?

its a Mottobatt, replace it.

Id know that yellow battery casing anywhere.

I've used them in my motorcycles because they are cheap. but they are not the same quality as a Yuasa.

Pretty much every motorcycle dealer stocks Motobatt because they have multiple fitments. (4 terminals) greatly reduced number of types we needed to keep (form memory 24 different motobatt sizes, replaced 120 standard sizes).

and importantly was a good selling price.

if they last longer then 12 months you'll probably get 3-5 years from it.

sitting around seems to be what kills this brand the most. it drops a cell, so will still show 12v, but wont take any load.

Edited by spenaroo
  • Informative 1

1 minute ago, facthunter said:

I've ceased using them. They tend to be on the low side with CCA to what others are and that's why they are cheaper.  Nev

well yeah, note they need a plastic spacer to replace the bigger sizes.
literally a battery designed to meet the minimum specs for the widest range

• Informative 1

Oh fun fact.

Harley-Davidonson batteries are FAA certified. 

Always amused me, but they over engineered the batteries due to the vibration and heat of the big twins. Can literally drill into the battery without anything leaking. The terminals are lead, so if it short circuits to the frame or seat it just melts the terminal.

When I was working for them there was nothing on the market that had higher CCA or lasted longer. Guys were regularly getting 7 years from them. Had a few come in with 9+, only time in my experience in the bike industry the genuine factory batteries were stocked, didn't even bother keeping an aftermarket alternative 

Edited by spenaroo
  • Like 2
  • Informative 1

Way back in 2006 I installed an Odyssey AGM. 8 years later I started to worry about its lifespan so replaced it and used the old one in the ride-on mower. It is still in service 9 years later! 

Expensive, but very small self-discharge when idle, and easily spins the Subaru. Significantly, in the aircraft it is charged by a 40 amp Denso automotive alternator with inbuilt voltage regulator. 

I'm not sure how these batteries go with permanent magnet alternators and PWM regulation as in Jabiru engines. 

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

55 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Good AGM batteries seem fine in the motorbike situation. But I emphasise if they've EVER been hot they are finished.  The aviation type lead acid have "no spill when inverted" filler caps and are heavy and good quality and high CCA. That covers turbulence not just aerobatics. Secure for 10G. It's the last thing you want to have falling around .Nev

The motorcycle batteries, I have used, in my Zephyr were no spill, mount in any orientation, usually equaled or bettered, the aviation specific/recommended batteries, on CCA's, weight, durability  and were a fraction of the cost. If you fly an experimental you have the luxury of making the choice, to go the overpriced/hyped up aviation rout/product or the carefully considered alternatives. How you mount & connect the battery is vital,  any failure in this area, is nothing to do with the battery itself,  everything to do with the builder/maintainer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spenaroo said:

its a Mottobatt, replace it.

Id know that yellow battery casing anywhere.

if they last longer then 12 months you'll probably get 3-5 years from it.

sitting around seems to be what kills this brand the most. it drops a cell, so will still show 12v, but wont take any load.

I'm pretty sure that was what happened to the Motobatt that failed. It It had lasted 5 years though & started the engine fine when really cold. It was 20 AH with 320 CCA as I recall.

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, kgwilson said:

I have not checked any of the issues you mention. All I wanted was a battery at the time and it was all they had. The $130.00 was cheaper than getting the instructor back. If it dies I will let this forum know. The alternator has a maximum output of 17Amps but I don't know what the rectifier/regulator allows to the battery but my guess is more than 6.6 amps after starting to replenish the capacity lost in starting.

Most RA aircraft and motorbikes use AGM batteries & they seem to perform well in starting situations. 

It will allow up to 17 amps. Minus whatever is running. If you just have the radio going you'll get about 15amps to the battery which obviously drops as it charges.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...