What do I need to be learning?

Guest Cralis

I've been going through some online documents on RA/PPL, and am not sure what I should be learning. The correct answer is probably, 'Learn everything...', which is fine. I'm just wanting to know if all the formulas are supposed to be learnt.. as in, in a test, they may ask you something to which you need to apply one of these rather long looking formula.

Don't get me wrong though. I would like to learn them all, so should I be writing them down somewhere for easy access, each time I see one?

In my opinion, if you're combining your theory and flying, I'd suggest only learning what is relevant for your next flying phase and focus on ensuring that what you are learning becomes fundamental knowledge i.e. you can easily recall and apply it. Once you have achieved that with each phase, move on to the next. Do not get ahead of yourself or your training plan by trying to learn everything early on...you will always be learning.

• 1 year later...
Guest skyspud

If you get in touch with a flying school to enquire about a certain licence level, you might be able to ask for a mail out of their syllabus which will show what you need to learn in order. Always good to start with BAK.

You should try to learn everything as you go not just to pass the test but to help stay alive. Learning at your own pace without pressure is best.

skyspud

Go fast and take chances

Learn as much as you can as soon as you can. You can not have enough knowledge.

I had done PPL and Commerdial theory before I finished my PPL flying. Main trouble is I have forgotten a lot of it after 40 years.

Guest drizzt1978
Holy thread necromancy batman...

heheheh, Yeah, who the hell dug that up!

Thats it, we should all dig up un answered posts from years ago!

Confession

The 50knot jibe reminded me of a conversation I had with a trike pilot in Tumut a couple of months ago. He was a lovely bloke who'd flown over from Canberra for the day and we got to chewing the fat about flying and trips etc.

As the conversation progressed, we got to talking about what sort of speed the beercan did and whether I did much cross country travelling with it. I answered that I don't do many trips and when I do, it's usually only if the winds aren't overly strong as I couldn't see any point to flying with strong winds, especially anything that reduced ground speed below 50 knots. "Might as well drive when it gets down to 50 knots" says not too bright - who then realised what he'd said and to whom.

Talk about embarrassing! 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif Wasn't even trying to be a smart a:censored: at the time.087_sorry.gif.8f9ce404ad3aa941b2729edb25b7c714.gif

I flew home (back to Dalby) one day in the Drifter from Oakey, so about 30nm, took me just over an hr........... keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif Had 22kt head wind, so take that from 55kt cruise and, yeah... :clown:

Just to give you an idea, if you make a 10mile inbound call, you'd be looking at around 20mins to arrive overhead. 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Was great for looking around though... :thumb_up:

"Might as well drive when it gets down to 50 knots" says not too bright - who then realised what he'd said and to whom. Talk about embarrassing! 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif Wasn't even trying to be a smart a:censored: at the time.087_sorry.gif.8f9ce404ad3aa941b2729edb25b7c714.gif

Don't you sleep Ah?

Not so embarrassing really, just highlights that there are many different reasons that we fly.

The view is just so great in a trike, getting from A to B is not usually the primary goal

If it takes a bit longer then the view is usually there to keep us entertained and better at a slower speed.011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

Trike GPS tracks often seem to indicate that, even if you are on a mission to get somewhere usually they include some funny circling and deviations along the way :confused::confused::confused: - unless of course you are trying to outrun some weather or your late for tea, then any extra kts are a wished for. :thumb_up:

Doesn't matter what we fly it is all a compromise. I am sure every fighter pilot would love a hyperdrive fitted:faint:

Guest Sharp End

Yep...hyperdrive... all knuckleheads know you can't EVER have too much power. If you're going too fast, use the vertical! :big_grin:

However, after years of flying fast things I'd love to learn to fly a trike! Once I've got used to the Airtourer, I think I'll be ready to go even slower - anyone recommend a trike school near Brisvegas? :thumb_up:

PS: What's this got to do with the original unanswered question? Dunno, but since this thread deteriorated into insulting slowies :wasnt me:I thought it seemed appropriate.

Don't you sleep Ah?

Nah, the Nanaland time threw me for a six...plus we had a bit left in a bottle of happiness to clean up before our return to the dust bowl this arvo. (hic!)

The big buggers certainly do go like stuck cats, but you can't see jack for the clouds. Or the tiny little windows! 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif

Sorry about the off topic waffle. The 50 knot gag just reminded me of my Tumut foopah....099_off_topic.gif.20188a5321221476a2fad1197804b380.gif

Guest skyspud
Its ok skyspud, everybody knows that Drifter pilots only think at 50 knots.Kiwi

I have no excuse:blush:

Now on the off topic, I had a 35 knot wind over head about 4 months back so I jumped in the 95-10 and went up for a play and held it at 31 kts (cruising the stall) and was tracking backwards for about 15 mins.

This doesn't mean I want to change my status from slow to backwards!

skyspud

Go fast and take chances

I had a 35 knot wind over head about 4 months back so I jumped in the 95-10 and went up for a play and held it at 31 kts (cruising the stall) and was tracking backwards for about 15 mins.

Now that is something I need to try one of these days...

I've landed the drifter in a 30kt head wind... takes a bit of getting used to when the ground is moving at a walking speed underneath! not to mention taxing to the hanger without taking off again!

Who said flying slow wasn't fun!!! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif